Thread: ANTI WH

Default ANTI WH

i was thinking very novicely as i always do lol about anti wh

anti wh works by asking if a trace is on or off ?

could there be a way of making a wall a event and asking if its ture or not. e.g. can the client see the wall or not
    by creating layers (of walls)

much like i am a custom to in my work in photoshop.

if player 5 is at layer 1 and viewing player 6 at layer 2 then view = false
    becasue they are at different wall numbers... (layers = walls)

then the query can be only asked if the two players have the same wall layer between them.

i guess that would stop so many traces being checked

after thinking about this ...........,............................................................
    i need to post a new entry..
    Last edited by blaz!ng; December 7th, 2011 at 09:25 PM.

the problem would be how to know where the player is behind the wall layer? as both players could see the wall (trace) but both could be at the side of the wall and still see each other. the only other thing is cutting each map into grid system like on a actual paper based map and u would be able to determine the players possible view point from there grid reference. then once a client has been made there could be a way of determining which way the client is looking while in game. but that would need a hover over spot on/off system?
    Last edited by blaz!ng; December 7th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.

SOME TIMES i kill people who are clipping and i cant even see there head much and i can still hit them so what is the difference between trace and the system that bullets use in mohaa? as it seems 2 clipping players seem to find a way of killing each other better than the flashing anti wh system works. corruption can see players and aim itself so if a player has another player in sight then corruption would kill the player, so how about asking corruption if a kill is available? use corruption instead of trace ???
    or does corruption use trace?
    just my mind going wild lol
    Last edited by blaz!ng; December 7th, 2011 at 09:26 PM.

hahah i wrote this thread last night when i was stoned i actually thought i had the answer to world peace heheh

Project Sponsor

haha, I have moments like that too sometimes blazing haha. Ohhh good times. I miss those times.

The way the antiwh works is it sends traces (as you know). MOHAA has a series of structs that tell the game how to differentiate between different objects. Basically the world (not including brush and other static models) is made up of what's called a brush.
    So it can easily check for brush as a whole, but I don't think it can differentiate between different types of brushes. In MOHAA, if I'm not mistaken a wall is a wall or in this case a brush is a brush. To distinguish 1 wall from a different one would require a rediculous array of either A) xyz coordinates for every wall on every map, or B) polygons\triangles that make up the wall(brush)).
    Now there may be a better way to calculate this, but if there is, RR would know. From my description above, what may logically seems like it could take less calculations, would actually require more because of filtering through to determine which wall is what.

what is the difference between trace and the system that bullets use in mohaa?
    Trace checks the path between A ----------------------> B (and checks if something is blocking B)
    Bullets are emitters(not solid objects). The only solid projectiles are nades & bazooka (that's why STWH doesn't effect those UNLESS the rare occurrence that a wall is skinny enough to literally lean through when the projectile is ejected.)

On another note with regards to the bulletsystem & STWH, MOHAA's collision system is totally fubar. Technically all emitters and non model objects are nonsolid. So the maps are all non solid. What makes them solid to players is the players boundingbox. The bounding box is static though and only goes 16 units across. When a player leans it break the bbox and I believe 6 units are exposed. This is why STWH works ONLY when a player leans. Because as I mentioned walls are nonsolid and player outside of bbox = go through wall. This tricks the game and makes it seem like nothing is in the way hense STWH.

I have no idea howi got this far in depth, but some clarification for you haha.

corruption can see players and aim itself so if a player has another player in sight then corruption would kill the player, so how about asking corruption if a kill is available? use corruption instead of trace ???
    or does corruption use trace?
    just my mind going wild lol
    It only seems that way because corruption doesn't control the rendering, it only scans whether or not a player is in FOV.
    And actually antiwh DOES work like corruption.

Corruption works like this.

it uses tracing based on the FOV to determin if enemy is within view. (just like we do)
    Then it detects the player based on bones (just like antiwh does\did)
    Then when it detects a players bone it locks on to it (we don't do this because we're not creating an aimbot :P) instead we render the player. How visibility changes are MUCH easier to distinguish than for an aimbot to lock on to the player. I bet the response time is the same as what we have in our patch.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Corruption uses traces, but just clientside.

AntiWH uses traces, and also when you shoot, it's also a trace.

When you shoot, MoHAA grabs your view (eye position, orientation, crosshair pos etc.) and then it creates a forward vector, then it sends trace in the direction of forward vector. Trace needs start point and end point, and because you don't aim at certain point in 3d space but just in the direction, so forward vecotr starts at your eyes, and his length is set according to weapon range. When you have start and length of the vecotr, you can get end point.

Trace is being sent, and if it hits any Body surface on it's way, game knows you hit someone.

In AntiWH we set endpoint to players in your FOV, and send trace to each of them. If trace hits on it's way a wall before it hits player, then it knows player is behind a wall for you and we can hide him.

The problem with AntiWH accuracy is that player isn't really a single point in the space, so we need to check few points etc. The more traces we do for single player the better accuracy is. But it also slows server too much and makes it unplayable at all. We neend to find a balance, but it will always have impact on both aspects of this problem. Also there's a round-trip delay (LAG) that comes into consideration.

thx for your interesting knowledge on this subject. i just want anti wh to be better but hope this can be done in one way or another without the flashing or delay. as all we have right now in my clan is bug / crash fix and anti stwh on but i am
    enthusiastically waiting fot stufftext to be the big dog when the client gets released.
    Last edited by blaz!ng; December 13th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

we also want it to be better and we're discussing a lot of things about it almost all the time.