Thread: Better RCON Alternative than Admins.ini

Default Better RCON Alternative than Admins.ini

As much as the Admins.ini feature is useful, it's also extremely difficult to set up and requires that each player use a SPECIFIC name while playing in game. If a player changes their in game name, the admins.ini system will no longer work, as it checks that each player use the name defined in the ini file.

I think we can do better. Here's what I suggest:

Instead of having to define usernames and passwords in the admin.ini, just set up personal passwords and permissions for the password. Comments can be used in the ini file for admins to remember who received which password.

Now each user that has received the password should use something like this to use commands:

Code:
    rcon2 password command
    Now, if you don't like that idea, perhaps we could prompt the user to login with a specific login and password in console before the features of sub-rcon system can be used.

For example if the player types this in console:

Code:
    subrcon login
    They are prompted with the following in console:

Code:
    Please enter your login: 
    Please enter your password:
    Normally, as rcon is setup by default, I use a config file named rcon.cfg with the following info:

Code:
    rconpassword "serversRCONpassword"
    If I typed exec rcon.cfg in console, I can use rcon without always having to use the password in every command, as I have been logged in.

Thus, the above example that I gave in which the login and password were required, that step could also be skipped with a cfg that has the following info:

Code:
    subrconlogin "personalizedLogin"
    subrconpassword "personalizedPass"
    After the user has logged in, he can use commands using the sub-administration system.

Just a couple of thoughts. I hope it's a good idea. If the feature I'd like to see implemented in reborn cannot be done or is confusing, please let me know.

Basically, here's how I think it should work:

The admin of a server creates generic login names (so that it doesn't depend on the player's name which can change frequently) and passwords that can be used by anyone. Each login has a set of permissions assigned to it. Before you can use the system, you must be prompted to login. This would eliminate the hassle of requiring the player's name to match what is specified in the admins.ini file.

I don't know if it's possible, but my first post explains what I'd like to see in more detail. If this is possible, it should be implemented, as it will simplify the admin module and really make it easy for us to use.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

It is possible and I will probably add this, but I'd like to make it backwards compatible.

my clan doesn't want to move from CI but is now running the patch so admin has not been set up at all for us. although can still use ad_ commands in rcon