Thread: Installing Steam on Windows 2008 Server

Default Installing Steam on Windows 2008 Server

Trying to install left 4 dead2 and maybe team fortress 2 on my dedicated server but running into a big problem with the hldsupdatetool.exe. When I try to update it I get this.

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>cd c:\

c:\>srcds\HldsUpdateTool.exe
    Checking bootstrapper version ...
    Failed to connect to any GeneralDirectoryServer, WinSock Error 0 "No error"

c:\>
    I have made 2 inbound rules one for port 27030 and the other for program hldsupdatetool.exe but still does it.
    Also, turned off firewall and still gives that error.

Any Suggestions?

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Steam-Dedicated-Server

Type in "HldsUpdateTool" (or just "h" then cycle tab through the files until you got the exe) or ./steam for linux users then a space then enter -command update -game <game>. Replace <game> with the game you want to host, be it "cstrike", "dmc", "dod", "ricochet", "tfc", "valve", "Counter-Strike Source", or "hl2mp". Enter -dir x:\hlserver afterwards and then press enter and let it rest. A correct example would be:
    HldsUpdateTool -command update -game cstrike -dir c:\hlserver
    :)

Well in most other tuts you have to update the hldsupdatetool 1st and then run like it says in your link. Here is the link I have been using. http://blog.theevilpc.com/2009/11/le...ver-setup.html

Either way that I do it still comes up with same. Failed to connect to any GeneralDirectoryServer, WinSock Error 0 "No error"

I used cmd and then netstat -ab and got tcp myserverip:51213 then steamsip:27030 syn_sent

still have opened 27030 and 51213 and hldsupdatetool.exe on firewall

plus read somewhere to delete .blob file if fails have done that several times too all fails

Well have it narrowed down to syn_sent. Just dont know how to fix. Could it be I am using Administrator account or ....?

what commands do you run?

Code:
    hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game left4dead2 -dir c:\srcds
     pause
    commands are right because i can run them from local machine just fine. its just blocking paks from being received or sent because of syn_sent. Have no idea on how to fix it. I could download all the files to my local then upload them but every time l4d2 updates I will have to do that.

you have all these ports open:

Code:
    * UDP 27000 to 27020 inclusive
    * TCP 27020 to 27050 inclusive
    * TCP 27015

Turns out there is external firewall that is confilcting with windows firewall. Which 1and1 servers says to disregard the external and disable firewall on internal and use local policies instead. duh sounds pretty if to me but works now.