View Poll Results: Which mobile operating system do you use ?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • iOS (Apple's IPhone, IPad)

2 14.29%
  • Windows Mobile 6.5

0 0%
  • Windows Mobile 7

1 7.14%
  • Symbian (Nokia)

2 14.29%
  • bada

0 0%
  • Android 2.1 / 2.2 / 2.3 (Google etc. phones)

6 42.86%
  • None of above, other mobile operating system

4 28.57%
  • Phone ? Why you bother me with that crap ?

2 14.29%
  • I use jungle drums to communicate ! Doh !

1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which mobile operating system do you use ?

blackberry here to

League / Affiliates Representant <Shifty's Avatar

I love my Nexus S. That phone is AWESOME!!!!
    I was thinking of getting that phone. But i can't decide between the nexus or the HTC desire.....so what's your experience so far?
    For years been on SE phones but this year got my first Android phone HTC Desire HD - great phone but poor battery life
    same question as i asked James

Sorry for going offtopic Joto, i've an old LG coockie wich is driving me mad.
    As finishing touch god created the Dutch

Well, I admit the battery life isn't GREAT, however the nexus s is using the most updated OS "Gingerbread 2.3". This new OS is much more optimized than previous versions. It has improved battery life and runs FAST.

Because the Nexus S is a Samsung phone aka Galaxy Phone, you may have read that there is some lag. This glitch has been fixed and if you need any help with further optimizations feel free to ask me.

As far as how the nexus compares to the desire, well I'm not sure, but maybe heatsinkbod can run a quadrant benchmark test to see how it scores with my phone. The highest I scored was 2500 (maybe a bit more), however on avg the score really ranges between 2100-2500.

At any rate, the phone is great. The battery lasts me atleast the entire day. It's great because it's not preloaded with a bunch of crapware and it's also unlocked.

i-phone for me, comes with the territory ^^

Hi - been pleased - no crashes or problem, would be fair to say battery a day with normal use ie WIFI and GPS on, internet use and stuff. Just run Quadrant and getting 1679 - I have a lot on the phone like 350+ apps and a load of crap running )))) but no performance problems.Ginger update should be out for it in a month or two, would recommend it but make sure your happy with size )))))

Happy shooting

Cheers
    Heatsinkbod

(Jon)

KILL em ALL and then KILL em ALL again!!

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well, I admit the battery life isn't GREAT, however the nexus s is using the most updated OS "Gingerbread 2.3". This new OS is much more optimized than previous versions. It has improved battery life and runs FAST.

Because the Nexus S is a Samsung phone aka Galaxy Phone, you may have read that there is some lag. This glitch has been fixed and if you need any help with further optimizations feel free to ask me.

As far as how the nexus compares to the desire, well I'm not sure, but maybe heatsinkbod can run a quadrant benchmark test to see how it scores with my phone. The highest I scored was 2500 (maybe a bit more), however on avg the score really ranges between 2100-2500.

At any rate, the phone is great. The battery lasts me atleast the entire day. It's great because it's not preloaded with a bunch of crapware and it's also unlocked.
    Hey James thats a huge performance increase with it running on Ginger - will have to run Quadrant again when I get Ginger on it......think its about a month off getting released for my phone

Well, gingerbread is an amazing OS, but I did quite a bit of tweaking on my phone before I got those numbers. Prior to the tweaking my phone was scoring about 1800-1900 (which still isn't a bad score).

As I mentioned one of the BIG Galaxy S flaws is some kind of lagging that occurs. Not sure what the glitch is, but basically it throttles the performance of galaxy s phones (It's not just a nexus issue). After I did some reading I decided to "OC" my phone :P

Basically, first step was to unlock it (root it). I did that and then created a backup of my current phone system & settings.
    I then found a tweaked version of the gingerbread OS\kernel with the newest revisions preloaded. I can't recall who made it, but it's GREAT. It doesn't remove anything or add crap to the phone so the user won't notice a difference, however it does adjust the screen resolution so the picture is even clearer. It also updated the partition table from ext3 to ext4 which, if you're familiar with the *nix partition tables, you would know that the access time is greatly increased and optimized for performance.
    It also fixes the bottlenecked lag that throttles the performance of your device.
    Anywho, The OC I refer to above is more software modification as opposed to actually increasing the clockspeed. My phone is at it's stock 1.0Ghz speed and after doing all those mods I manage to get the scores mentioned above.

Since your phone is an HTC, you may get better performance out of the box than I did. I'm curious what scores you will get.

Here is the kernel I use: http://project-voodoo.org/

and I'm attaching some imgs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I would have now to make a choice I would probably go for the Samsung Galaxy S I 9000 or wait a few and go for the even better Samsung Galaxy SII 9000 I think the new screen technology is amazing (big and good view at daylight).
    Two things that disattracs me about iphone are a) the high price b) its bound to apple which means a lot of restrictions (developers need imac, no flash etc.)

Yes I can confirm that this lagging occurs too on mine, its a bit annoying, currently have android 2.2 will check if i can get 2.3 to, great post James, thanks a lot

Was thinking about rooting mine...... will see how I get on with ginger - I had a lag issue on mine but found on the forums that turning USB debugging mode on solved it and it did. Will let you know how I get on when I get Ginger ))))

Cheers for info

Jon