Thread: UTF-8 based text encoding and sayP command

Default UTF-8 based text encoding and sayP command

Two suggestions in one thread:

1) sayP command would be the personalized form of the say command,

syntax: rcon sayP clientID texttosend

e.g.:
    Code:
    rcon sayP 1 "blabla"
    sayP command is allready available through additional mods, the function there is based on stufftexting, however a native implementation in the server/client would be better.

2) Currently mohaa is using UTF-7 text encoding system, which has its limitations and since mohaa is more and more played also in countries who have a non-latin based language, changing encoding to UTF-8 would be really helpful and good. However don't have a idea yet how this transformation could be archived.
    Gamers Network - www.scapp.net

Banned

MOhaa has sayp...you can private message someone...but u need to know their client ID.

next elgbot i am planning to release it with a new "admin menu". Which will be a basic strategy for modders to build upon with their own menus. So it will contain a class. which when used. will fill with names and their ID's. CLickable. to insert into text boxes or something. im still designing it to be modder friendly.

UTF8...it may just work. IF u actually just update all the font files ...

Yeah, console command "wisper" or "sayone" with syntax: <clientnum + 1> <message>.
    Problem is clients can't find out what ID num they or anyone else has. Only with rcon.
    You also have to add 1 to the number, so the client with ID 0 is 1 to wisper to, and so on..

Will UTF-8 also enable the use of 'bad characters' that currently turn in question marks?
    Last edited by Sor; February 14th, 2011 at 08:49 AM.

You mean say command from client to client or ? I had the say command in mind from server to a particular client. Usually "say" does print to a all connected clients, "sayP" would print console only to a certain client.
    Would both be useful extensions.

Fonts with utf-8 character set should exist since all newer games do have this, but I think the internal transformation that is needed for most strings is unless harder.

Not sure what this bad characters exactly is at all, but might have to do with it. UTF-7 uses one byte to represent one character which equals to 256 different characters, while UTF-8 uses up to 4 bytes per character which means it can represent any character that exist, though there are not many fonts who can display a bigger range. (I think there doesn't exist a font which can display any character that exist)
    Gamers Network - www.scapp.net

Take French for example: église (meaning church) transforms to ?glise automatically.
    That's what I mean with bad character.

Banned

and im pretty sure just making new fonts cover it.

and a say console command, rcon sayp to a certain person? so it appears "console get off the road"... hm interesting.

actually i wonder if that already exists ive never tried it...using rcon whisper ... would surley do the same

^^I remember I made a mod like this, only it was as simple as copying the global gfx files from SH. I'm sure we can do it in the engine as well by using registerfont(). I remember posting some code snippets for you on gamedecetion elgan. Don't know if you remember, but I'm certain the same concept can be applied for registering other fonts outside of the game.