Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mohaa TV

Default Mohaa TV

Call of Duty has it, Counter Strike Source has it so why not mohaa too ?

There was once a project by Erazor with the same name 'mohaa tv' which worked nearly 99%, never tested or saw it myself though, but it never got approved by DMW which was a main reason the project had died.

I have no insight of how it works in detail, might be that it is using functionality from the demo functions of Q3, neither do I exactly know how Source TV works, but the idea itself should be simple and selfexplanatory.

Erazor himself is still around sometimes (saw him on clanbase) so he might be interested in helping out with how-to, maybe source code and more.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Do you mean KillCam?

If yes, then I'm for it.

Banned

what you mean?

recording?

MOHAA CAN RECORD...i just mentioned this the other day... IT's functions are there, the cmds are not, its a bit broken.. wombat found them and just relinked some cmds there waya nd recording produced nice files which played back! (in mohaa only of course).

KILL cams...i've made before... meh... I'm not a massive fan.

If I'm not mistaken, kill cam is a serverside AC that uses artificial intelligence to determine whether a client is cheating. It involves things like environment, sound, visuals, etc etc.

Banned

kill cam is just a camera that shows the baddy in a matrix like style when he kills you.

oh haha ok :P

yes Killcam is a replay of the kill to the killed player from the perspective of the killer, its a very neat feature.

well recording is recording, both Killcam and Recording would be a nice to have feature in the patch. (Recording is a must imo)

Mohaa TV would be streamig the gameplay/actions in the server to people outside the server. (read about how source tv works here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SourceTV)

I believe that the Mohaa TV function could be basing on the same functions on which the recording/playback is based.
    I believe that cod and css are also relying on those functions (remember they are also inhereting from q3 engine)

So a scheme for mohaa tv could look like this:

a bot (serverside) or cameraman in the server is doing a "live recording" the output will be streamed to a icecast server.
    Mohaa Clients will connect to this icecast server and receive the stream which will be played back in the client.
    The icecast server resides also on the game server and is just using an other port, so instead that the player
    joins the server on port 12203 he connects to a predefined port something like port+1000 and can watch the game/match/ what ever goes on in the server.
    (or just a serverside cvar set by admin with the address of the streaming server would be more flexible)

My only concern is how will this play a role on bandwidth or even the cpu\memory usage? Video recording\streaming could play a BIG part on the performance of the server. Also where will these recordings be stored?

if it is based on the recording functions that are allready inside the engine the cpu + bandwith usage will be very low, only if this q3 own format should be converted to some flash or w/e format for websites it would require cpu usage. Except for some buffer no need for store the recordings becuz its live, but its anyway not that big space needed.
    Basically it would be up to the hoster/admin how much bandwith / viewers they would allow for this.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Bad thing is that q3 demo format has only packets in it. No scene information etc. It just replays IP packets that player received or sent, so that's why you can only watch q3 demo files using a game (because it has content to be shown based on the packets stored in file). So conversion to some other format isn't that easy.

Players often record q3 demo, then play it again but with FRAPS or xFire this time to get .avi