Thread: Map Making

Smile Map Making

Good morning or good afternoon, depending on where you live in the world.

I have come here because I am interested in making some custom MOHAA maps. I have made some CS maps in the past and they turned out alright. They were average compared to most. It has been awhile since I made a map though.

I have a few questions before I get started on a map.

Is there a big difference between CS and MOHAA when it comes to map making?

And also, any tips on scale? How do I ensure I stay on scale? What’s the best way to do that?

And what’s the standard size brushes I should be using?

Any other “must do” tips for beginners?

Thanks!

Yo MrBlonde. I can give you some tips that can help you in a near future.

* Try always to use grid 8, so you can be sure you won't have to snap to grid and mess brushes up.

* In mohaa the player size is 32x32x96. You can always spawn a info player start to measure or have a reference.

* I would recommend to use common/caulk as a default texture

* If you want to have a reference of scales you can load any stock map and see how devs made it. I tend to use these scales for my maps doors 64*4*128 walls 152/176*8/16 steps heigh 8

* Brushes that are no supposed to block player visibility eg a box in a room, should be detailed and no structural.
    MoH Reborn | MoH:AA Guide | Mapping tutorials | zzzzzMy_Maps.pk3 | YouTUBE

+set thereisnomonkey 1

Thanks for the advice! Some very useful tips. I already have an idea for a map. So I will be getting started soon. I am sure I will have more questions going forward.

I recall the maps I made in CS always looked better than they played. People would get bored with them really quick. So I am trying to focus on design and layout much more this time around. It's not really worth it to have a great looking map, if nobody ever plays it.

Thanks again for the tips!

Anybody else have any added suggestions, please share. I appreciate it. Have a great day!

Default look for general tutorials

Wellcome

That is good advice from König, also have the map tested by people that have a habit of breaking things, they usually find the issues.

I also recommend to read variouse tutorials just to see if there is something in them that could be useful.

Also mohaa has a pretty extensive list of script commands and capabilities most scripting works in multiplayer.

There are open source scripts and mods from which you can draw inspiration or take code, you can always look for a script based solution if there is something not working like you need it.

You might want to look into creating a coop map

All of this is great help and much appreciated. I definitely have some things to consider. I was wanting to make an MOHAA map based on the Pegasus Bridge, but it appears it has already been done. It may have been a little bit too ambitious for me anyway. So now, I’ve decided to make a French farm themed objective map, drawing on a farm I am familiar with as inspiration for the layout. Thanks again for the help.