Thread: Medal of Honor Breakthrough - Help for a scripting project

Default Medal of Honor Breakthrough - Help for a scripting project

Hi guys,
    I would like to have some help if the request on this topic has already been made please close the thread.

Sorry, my english is terrible, unfortunatelly it is not my mother tongue.

I try to explain my problem:

I'm trying to create a mod to replace the italian soldier skin in the single player game that did not reflect the original units that fought during the WW2 (I'm italian too).

I initially started to modify the individual soldier model, modifying the .tik file choosing an appropriate skelmodel and surface.

I immediately ran into a problem with this process: The Italian units in the maps are only 3 (inf, inf 2 and vol) and unfortunately these are repeated in various maps of the game.

The end result is therefore that I find Italian units with desert uniforms in the missions in Italy .

Maybe the only way is to edit the maps .bsp file with radiant by choosing which units are in that specific level, for example I would like to replace all the Italian units present in the Bizerte mission with the Sc_AX_Ital_Inf2.tik only, but it was suggested that I try to work on level scripting due to the problems that can arise from editing the map with radiant.

I’ve found this thread also

http://www.x-null.net/forums/threads...uide-Requested

Is it possible to proceed to change the italian unit with a software like xvi32?

Many thanks for your help

You'll need Notepad++ to edit the huge .bsp files in text form. For e1l1.bsp in Breakthrough's Pak1.pk3, for example, search for "human/" and you should find the first human model on line 192,067.
    From there you can change the model .tik to your desired one, but you'll have to compare origin coordinates in-game to change the correct AI actor. Example is below:

Code:
    {
    "classname" "ai_german_afrikacorps_soldier_headwrap"
    "scale" "1.0"
    "model" "human/german_afrika_private_headwrap.tik"
    "testanim" "idle"
    "angle" "180"
    "$targetname" "farleftspawn1"
    "origin" "-1264.00 4912.00 256.00"
    "target" "t222719200"
    "type_idle" "idle"
    "type_attack" "turret"
    "type_disguise" "salute"
    "type_grenade" "grenade"
    "gun" "Mauser KAR 98K"
    "sound_awareness" "100"
    "noticescale" "100"
    "fixedleash" "0"
    "enemysharerange" "0"
    "waittrigger" "0"
    "balconyheight" "128"
    "accuracy" "45"
    "ammo_grenade" "2"
    "disguise_range" "256"
    "disguise_period" "15"
    "disguise_level" "1"
    "gren_awareness" "10"
    "#playerseek" "0"
    }

Quote Originally Posted by Searingwolfe View Post
    You'll need Notepad++ to edit the huge .bsp files in text form. For e1l1.bsp in Breakthrough's Pak1.pk3, for example, search for "human/" and you should find the first human model on line 192,067.
    From there you can change the model .tik to your desired one, but you'll have to compare origin coordinates in-game to change the correct AI actor. Example is below:

Code:
    {
    "classname" "ai_german_afrikacorps_soldier_headwrap"
    "scale" "1.0"
    "model" "human/german_afrika_private_headwrap.tik"
    "testanim" "idle"
    "angle" "180"
    "$targetname" "farleftspawn1"
    "origin" "-1264.00 4912.00 256.00"
    "target" "t222719200"
    "type_idle" "idle"
    "type_attack" "turret"
    "type_disguise" "salute"
    "type_grenade" "grenade"
    "gun" "Mauser KAR 98K"
    "sound_awareness" "100"
    "noticescale" "100"
    "fixedleash" "0"
    "enemysharerange" "0"
    "waittrigger" "0"
    "balconyheight" "128"
    "accuracy" "45"
    "ammo_grenade" "2"
    "disguise_range" "256"
    "disguise_period" "15"
    "disguise_level" "1"
    "gren_awareness" "10"
    "#playerseek" "0"
    }

Hi,
    first of all thx for your reply.

I proceed as per your advice modifying e2l1.bsp, and I replaced human/sc_ax_ital_inf.tik with human/sc_ax_ital_para.tik in the bsp file using the Notepad ++.
    After that I created a PK3 file to add the modification.

Unfortunately the game did not recognize the map.

Have you ever experienced this issue?

Yep, looks like editing anything in the .bsp of singleplayer maps causes the game to crash when loading. Multiplayer maps' spawns and some objects (not lights) can have server-side edits in their .bsp.

Your other option, the better one actually, is just modify all actors via their "$targetname" anywhere in e1l1.scr.
    If it doesn't work, try changing models after "level waittill spawn". Here's the code for the ai_actor example above:

Code:
    main: //e1l1.scr
    ---
    ---
    level waittill spawn

$farleftspawn1.model = human/Sc_AX_Ital_Inf2.tik
    Last edited by Searingwolfe; April 9th, 2023 at 10:00 AM.

Hi, 1337Smithy made a great simple script for that - it allows you to change as many NPC models and variety of them as you want, with percentage chance that you set. I didn't try it yet with SH or BT, but with AA it works very well, and I think it should work the same in expansions.
    Here's the link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/hi-res-re...ariety#1116102

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Hi, 1337Smithy made a great simple script for that - it allows you to change as many NPC models and variety of them as you want, with percentage chance that you set. I didn't try it yet with SH or BT, but with AA it works very well, and I think it should work the same in expansions.
    Here's the link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/hi-res-re...ariety#1116102
    Hi sorry for the delay in my response for your comment.

This script allows to replace NPC? Did you ever try in MOHAA singleplayer map?

Thanks for your help

Yes it allows for switching all NPCs, you can do it via switching all models of certain kind (eg. allied_airborne_soldier.tik or german_afrika_private.tik and so on) or via targetnames.
    And yes I used it in basically all MoHAA singleplayer maps, in the mod version I uploaded there (I linked you the site) there are almost all maps remade with this script except for last mission; so you can download it and try out how it works and try to reverse-engineer it from there