Thread: spawn smoke for gas trigger trouble

Default spawn smoke for gas trigger trouble

Im using this to spawn smoke effect for gas trigger. works fine on my local machine but when i put it on the server, the smoke fx and sound fails to appear.

Code:
    cache models/fx/RDG-1_Smoke_GrenadeExplosion.tik

local.smoke = spawn "models/fx/RDG-1_Smoke_GrenadeExplosion.tik" targetname "smoke"
    local.smoke.origin = ( 2472.0473630 4204.8383790 40 ) + (0 0 5) //wont fall under the map

I don't think using cache for dedicated servers does anything. I used cache to hide some cabinets in Remagen in a non-dedicated game, but in a server the cabinets were all still there.

As for spawning in grenade explosions, typically FX models will not appear instantly like emitters do. Add "local.smoke anim idle" to your script, then the model should appear.
    Check the bottom of .tik files for all animations before spawning them in, usually just "idle" and "start".

Code:
    local.smoke = spawn "fx/RDG-1_Smoke_GrenadeExplosion.tik" targetname "smoke"
    local.smoke.origin = ( 2472 4205 40 ) + (0 0 5) //wont fall under the map
    local.smoke anim idle
    Last edited by Searingwolfe; February 11th, 2023 at 11:11 AM. Reason: code

thanks Searingwolfe.

what I discovered is the RDG1 smoke isnt working on the server because of some conflict with a gas nade / smoke mod that im using. But you gave me an idea to use a smoke emitter. I found cheapsmoke.tik
    works pretty well. it doesnt have that yellow color or sound but it does the job.