Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiling a map using three GPUs. More VRAM is worse.

Default Compiling a map using three GPUs. More VRAM is worse.

G'day folks,

Just an observation I've made, not sure if it's general knowledge or not.
    I built two PCs over the past 12 months and both have different issues when compiling a MOH map.

I have three PCs with Windows 10 on each of them so I'm pretty sure this would come down to the video cards.

My main system with a RTX 2080 super (8GB VRAM) won't compile at all. It takes the usual time but the edited date and time of the BSP file remains the same as an earlier compile and nothing has changed when tested in game.
    My second system with a GTX 1660 GPU (6GB VRAM) will compile but without the lighting effects. No darkened areas such as tunnels or shadows.
    My third system is a potato which has onboard graphics (1GB VRAM, I think) yet it compiles flawlessly.

I know many of you can't compile so this might explain why.
    I hope it helps.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; January 9th, 2022 at 02:09 PM.

Are you sure the GPU is the cause? I wouldn't have thought the GPU would be required for compilation (it'll use CPU). I've compiled on various systems (I use a 2070 super atm) and had no issues.

What does the compilation log say? Anything that could point to the cause? I suspect it's something other than VRAM that is the cause.

Hmm, there's a thought.
    My main system runs an AMD Ryzen 5, 5600X.
    My second system runs an AMD Ryzen 5, 2600.
    The potato system is a factory built Acer Aspire. AMD ????

If it makes any difference the first two systems each have 32GB of 3200 DDR4 RAM.
    The potato was released with 4GB of DDR3 RAM but it now has 16GB.

I haven't run a compile with the log file on this map yet but if it gives a reason I'll be sure to tell you.

The compile on this (main) system won't write the log file.
    It says "Unrecognized Parameter: C:\log.txt"

It then lists all of the compile parameters.
    I have tried it on "Light" and "BSP" options.

Without the log file the compile runs all of the way to "Compress light & defuse grid" however the bsp is unchanged and still has the previous successful compile date and time. Which was compiled on the potato system and transferred via my home network.
    I'm happy to send the map file to you if you have the same email you had years ago.

Sure, fire it over and I can take a look. I more meant what does the output say during compilation rather than physical log file, but either would do.

Cheers mate, it's on it's way.

I'm happy to say that my main PC now compiles.

Not sure why it's now making a liar out of me but it's working.
    I haven't tried the second fastest system as I gave that PC to my son.

Not sure if I should delete this thread now.
    I'm ok if a moderator wants it removed.

Well that was short lived.

It only compiled the once. Other attempts failed.
    Now, the reason why it compiled in the first place would have to be because I renamed the map.

I notice even after deleting the previous bsp, vis, prt & bak files that the new bsp has the identical date and time stamp in Windows Explorer.
    In this case I renamed the map back to it's original name, the bsp I just compiled is dated the 20th of November 2021.
    And of course, in game the map is the previous version.

I'm totally stumped how it knows the last successful compile date and time.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; January 9th, 2022 at 02:08 PM.

Is it a Windows permissions thing? Are you running MBuilder or whatever as administrator?

I don't believe this issue has anything to do with your GPU, but rather more of your CPU. Very interesting and strange topic. I would love to help further but I have yet to reinstall MOH Radiant and MBuilder, which is currently on my list of plans.
    "This bullet is... fOR YOUR CRANIUM!™""
    fYCcreationZ™