Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LoD Tool Tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default LoD Tool Tutorial

Just an example of messing around with the level of detail for a model. If you find some models disappear or become too blocky, other than turning LoD off for all models via r_uselod 0, you can create a new .lod file by using togglemenu lodtool in console to increase the distance it takes before it deforms, or turn it off completely. I did this for a couple of models in my morocco map (lantern with flame, and a map) and shipped the files with the pk3 because they just weren't usable when disappearing after 3 feet.

The .lod file is stored where the model files for that tik reside (you can find that by looking in the tik file). For the thompson, it was created here:

thompsonlod.png

One thing I would add is that this have to be done in a map where the sector around the coords (-4000 0 0) is located inside the map boundaries.
    Otherwise the player will be teleported into the void and the model won't spawn.

When I tried to use the lod tool before without knowing that, I legit thought my game was broken. (I tried a lot of things to make it work without success)
    Until I changed the r_drawworld command to 1, and saw my "viewpos" in the console, then I noticed I was falling in the void xD

Also, does it happens to you that when you click the black rectangles of the menu the whole menu turns black and you can't use it again? annoying af.

Haha, yep thanks Zappa, completely forgot to mention about lod spawn teleporting the player .

And yes, the black background is annoying, so I modified the menu to fill in those spaces: lodtool edit.rar

Is there a way to create LOD files for custom models? Every time I try it for my custom weapons the tool glitches out.

Quote Originally Posted by Soares93 View Post
    Is there a way to create LOD files for custom models? Every time I try it for my custom weapons the tool glitches out.
    What is glitchig, the menu?

After I select a custom model the menu goes black and I can't see the model anywhere.

I went test it again, now it doesnt teleport me and creates the chat message "I'm trying to crash the server. KICK ME!" when I select a model.

Quote Originally Posted by Soares93 View Post
    I went test it again, now it doesnt teleport me and creates the chat message "I'm trying to crash the server. KICK ME!" when I select a model.
    Clean your config. You have an alias for the lod_spawn command. The foresight mod does this to players

Okay, now it opens the lodtool normaly and teleports me, but still doesnt spawn the models.