Thread: After 15 years...Is there an easy way to convert models?

Cool After 15 years...Is there an easy way to convert models?

Hello guys, it's been 15 years since my last map. And since that time the desire was to be able to import models made in Blender (don't worry about the technical part like lowpoly / uvmap, I already know deeply) but the problem was always to generate the model in .tik format

The only tool that did this (I don't want animated models, just static ones) was the Milkshape (which honestly is pretty bad), but after a lot of work I managed to make a 700 tris snowman convert.

After so long, has something changed / been improved or is everything still the same?

Hey Mauricio, welcome back to modding/mapping

LightRay 3D is the best option available
    http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...v14-registered

From Blender you can export models in .obj format (Bones and individual meshes will not be preserved)

Or in .3ds format (individual meshes will be preserved. Bones won't)
    (You need to install this plugin form blender 2.8 or later https://github.com/blender/blender-a...r/io_scene_3ds)

And for porting models with animations, I use BlenderSourceTools
    To export a model, you go to the "Scene Properties" tab (in the right side) -> Source Engine Export,
    and select: Eport format: SMD, Target Engine: GoldSrc
    After that you can import the model in LightRay as a "HalfLife SMD" model

Hi Zappa

My focus is on statict models (like statues, furnitures), so probably I don't need to pay attention on otlher 'points' of your answer.
    Is a shame that not exists a default python script to export from a format to another one (TIK), I'm a programmer but never found a source of TIK format documentation to try create a script to export OBJ/.blend directly from blender to TIK format

G'day mcunha98,
    I know that this reply is late but you are now talking about converting a TIK, which is not any 3D model format. The ".tik" file is simply a script telling which object of the model is wrapped in which texture shader.
    It also includes the dimensions of the bound box of the model. It's only a text file opened by any basic text editor including Windows NotePad.

As Zappa said, LightRay 3D (with it's plugins) is capable of converting any default MOHAA model.
    "File" menu "Import/MOH Model skd/". Then you can "Export" it to many other formats.

The LightRay 3D link that Zappa provided is free and it comes with its register code, legally by the program author.