Thread: NEW MAP - Project Void Version 1.0

Default NEW MAP - Project Void Version 1.0

Hey Guys,

I have finished my latest map, well kind of lol.

As I had stated in previous posts I have had problems with func beams and the error "Bad Command Byte". As you will see in my attachment to this post I have been able to finish the map, however in testing with my clan in SH there are circumstances in which this bad command byte causes significant issues. From what I can see if there are more than 4 players on the server, players outside the server will be unable to connect. HOWEVER, if all players are already on the server and the previous map is switched or rotates to my Project Void Map, then no one will be booted off the game.

Take a look at the map, even if it is only on single player and test it out! If you follow what I suggested above I believe you will be able to test online game-play too. Hope you all enjoy the map.

Also,

If anyone is able to fix this Bad Command Byte error on the map itself (as I tried a method mentioned by DoubleKill at xNull within the config without any luck) let me know. I would love to release a version down the road with no errors, but am short of time as I will soon plan to be going away to military training.

Regards,
    <T|F|B> The Shadow (William Davis)

The Map:
    http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...oid-version-10

A new map O_o Nice idea, cool map! Non void places are nice too.

Very cool map! I like the style a lot

Probably the best way to fix the issue on your map is to not use func_beams at all, and use script_objects instead,
    adding them directly to the map in MohRadiant, making them "notsolid", and using a custom shader with the "rgbGen fromEntity" statement, so you can change their color from the script, using the "light" command.

I did a test map (Rainbow Tunnel) that has a concept similar to your map
    I will attach the map here (.map file included), so everyone can see how it works
    I hope this can help to fix the issue on your map

Download: test_rainbow-tunnel.pk3 (map test_tunnel)

Awesome!

Hey Zappa,

Sorry I never really replied to the help you suggested- I have been busy with many other things and hadn't really prioritized ever remaking the void map. I tried out what you sent me but I ran into some issues. The map ingame you sent crashes- and when I look at it in radiant it seems you used a texture you didn't include in the pk3. I don't know if this is a required factor or not.

Also do you think you could explain this perhaps for me who is not as familar with script and more indepth features of radiant?
    "making them "notsolid", and using a custom shader with the "rgbGen fromEntity" statement, so you can change their color from the script, using the "light" command."
    My base level of understanding I was looking at what was supposed to be the rainbow walls using the entity window tool and it says targetname lights- but due to my lesser understanding I don't know how it works and like how you made it different colors in your video.

Sorry if I sound a bit dumb here haha, but if you could help explain more in depth i'd really appreciate it. I'd love to eventually re-release this map without this issues I listed in the OP (bc due to it the map really is unplayable for multiplayer)

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Hey Zappa,

Sorry I never really replied to the help you suggested- I have been busy with many other things and hadn't really prioritized ever remaking the void map. I tried out what you sent me but I ran into some issues. The map ingame you sent crashes- and when I look at it in radiant it seems you used a texture you didn't include in the pk3. I don't know if this is a required factor or not.
    It's not an actual texture, he created a shader using the path of a stock texture. He added rgbGen fromEntity statement to let the script_object lights it.

Here is the shader:

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa's shader
    textures/zappa/test_tunnel_white
    {
    qer_editorimage textures/common/white.tga
    surfaceparm nolightmap
    {
    map textures/common/white.tga
    blendFunc add
    rgbGen fromEntity
    }
    }
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Also do you think you could explain this perhaps for me who is not as familar with script and more indepth features of radiant?
    "making them "notsolid", and using a custom shader with the "rgbGen fromEntity" statement, so you can change their color from the script, using the "light" command."
    My base level of understanding I was looking at what was supposed to be the rainbow walls using the entity window tool and it says targetname lights- but due to my lesser understanding I don't know how it works and like how you made it different colors in your video.
    Making a script_object not solid prevent you to collide into it, it's like a ghost, you see it but you can run though it. As he apllied the texture with rgbGen fromEntity statemet on a targeted script_objet he could manipulate the light via script.
    If you open the .map you can see all the rectangles are script_object and the key targetname has the lights value. Knowing that you can now go to the map script and take a look to the script.

How did he manipulate lights? Check this

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa's level script
    $lights notsolid;
    $lights svflags "+broadcast"; // So $lights entities can be seen from outside the map boundaries.
    $lights light 0 0 0 0;

while (!$player) {
    wait 0.1;
    }

wait 0.5;

$player stufftext "tmstop; tmstartloop sound/music/mus_15a_mystery.mp3";

wait 1.4;

for (local.i = 1; local.i <= $lights.size; local.i++) {
    $lights[local.i] thread rainbow;
    waitframe;
    }
    end;

rainbow:
    group.add = 0.025;
    group.radius = 10;
    group.r = 1;
    group.g = 0;
    group.b = 1;

while ($lights) {
    waitthread setColor 1 0 0; // Red
    waitthread setColor 1 1 0; // Yellow
    waitthread setColor 0 1 0; // Green
    waitthread setColor 0 1 1; // Cyan
    waitthread setColor 0 0 1; // Blue
    waitthread setColor 1 0 1; // Magenta
    }
    end;

setColor local.r local.g local.b:
    while (group.r != local.r || group.g != local.g || group.b != local.b) {
    if (group.r < local.r) group.r += group.add;
    if (group.r > local.r) group.r -= group.add;

if (group.g < local.g) group.g += group.add;
    if (group.g > local.g) group.g -= group.add;

if (group.b < local.b) group.b += group.add;
    if (group.b > local.b) group.b -= group.add;

self light group.r group.g group.b group.radius;

waitframe;
    }
    end;
    $lights is the targetname he set in radiant for all the script_objects, so when you see that in the script you know he is telling the game what to do with it. I can't explain all the script because it's black magic and only those morpheus guys know how to work with it
    MoH Reborn | MoH:AA Guide | Mapping tutorials | zzzzzMy_Maps.pk3 | YouTUBE

+set thereisnomonkey 1

So say I wanted to make individual beams of a specific color in certain places like on my current "broken map" I think its where you mentioned "rgbGen fromEntity" although this is where I get a bit lost, as Zappas script seems focused around making the colors progressively add by .025 as you walk.

From my limited knowledge of script I'm assuming I would have something along these lines?
    while ($lights) {
    waitthread setColor 1 0 0; // Red
    waitthread setColor 1 1 0; // Yellow
    waitthread setColor 0 1 0; // Green
    waitthread setColor 0 1 1; // Cyan
    waitthread setColor 0 0 1; // Blue
    waitthread setColor 1 0 1; // Magenta
    }

If I did this would I like have to give each brush that I use the texture on a targetname and then set the color in the script?

Basically what you have to do is remove the origins you used for the beams and use brushes instead to replace the beams.
    Select a group of brushes you want to be the same color and convert them into scrip_objects (right click > script > object) and give them a targetname like redbeams, bluebeams, etc
    all those scrip_objects have to use the same shader with the "rgbGen fromEntity" statement (feel free to copy mine and rename it to whatever you want)
    Code:
    textures/zappa/test_tunnel_white
    {
        qer_editorimage textures/common/white.tga
        surfaceparm nolightmap
        {
            map textures/common/white.tga
            blendFunc add
            rgbGen fromEntity
        }
    }

Then in the map script, after "level waittill spawn" you just add something like this to make them notsolid and give them the color you want. (no need to run a loop or exec another script)

$redbeams notsolid
    $redbeams light 1 0 0 10
    $bluebeams notsolid
    $bluebeams light 0 0 1 10

this is trippy hahah i was pretty fried when i came across this and man i looped it like 10 times !!!!! ahahahah makes me want to strart making maps again!