Thread: Need help setting up single-player maps into a multiplayer server

Default Need help setting up single-player maps into a multiplayer server

*I'm new to this forum and I don't know if I'm posting in the right topic so I'd kindly ask any admin to move this post to where it belongs.*

Hello guys,

In the titanic labor of keeping this game alive I've decided to rent a server to play with a few of my old clan members and see if we can get some traffic. Server is located in Miami and it's running on OBJ game-mode with a snipers/rifles-only mod.
    I've tried giving the small community something different and began running custom maps, wrongly thinking that after 20 years most active players already have most of the well-known custom maps. Sadly, it's not like that and I lost 50%-60% of my traffic when the server switched maps so I had to revert to playing stock maps and downloaded bones-ski mod to make Algiers and Remagen playable in the OBJ mode.

I come to you with two noobish questions from someone who after so many years just made the move from being a simple Mohaa player to a Mohaa server-admin:

1) Is there a mod to convert single player maps into OBJ multiplayer maps? Or anywhere I could get the file that makes them playable as OBJ maps? I've downloaded the "SP to MP Converted Maps" mod in the AAAA site but they have respawn on and I don't see any objectives in any of the maps. I'm not a coder but can script with the proper guidance, in case that's needed. I just don't want my visitor to have to download anything and modifying SP maps seems to be the right way to offer them something uncommon.

2) What's the importance of the order of the mods in a server? I had a mod that showed custom messages on a box (Jim HUD's I think it's called) but after installing the Bones-Ski mod the messages are no longer appearing. I'm guessing it's because they are now executed in a different order and the Ski mod is prioritized over Jim's? If so, does it have something to do with how they're ordered in the server's main folder? I'm just guessing, not an expert in the subject.

I'd appreciate any help any of you guys could give me.
    Thanks!

Hi!

1. I'm afraid that there is no mods like that or at least I haven't heard of it, although if you can specify which maps and locations on these maps are interesting you, plus type of objective you want, we may help you with coding it. Or if you want to try it alone, you may look at level scripts and below links when something will be unclear:

- http://homepage.eircom.net/~abyrne/s...tation.html#so (Scripting Objectives)
    - http://homepage.eircom.net/~abyrne/s...meClasses.html (Scripting Commands)
    - http://homepage.eircom.net/~abyrne/sdk/ (Whole SDK - if development in mohaa will interest you)

2. Example file tree structure:
    Code:
    - pak0.pk3
    - pak1.pk3
    - pak2.pk3
    - pak3.pk3
    - pak4.pk3
    - pak5.pk3
    - pak6.pk3

- some-mod.pk3
        - global
            - DMPrecache.scr
        - some-directory
            - some-file

- some-mod1.pk3
        - global
            - DMPrecahce.scr
        - some-file.scr
        - some-other-file.scr

-reborn.pk3
    Mods are executed in DMPrecache.scr, with entry like exec /global/jimsthings.scr. One thing to remember is that in MoH later file with the same name as earlier file will overwrite previous one, in case of example file structure I posted, DMPrecache from some-mod.pk3 is overwritten by DMPrecache from some-mod1.pk3 and thus main script controlling some-mod is not executed, same behavior happens between your Bones-Ski and Jim's punishment.

The simplest way to go about that is to have one .pk3 with all mods unpacked to it in some order and manually editing your own copy of DMPrecache as you add mods. In my old servers I just had structure like:
    Code:
    - mod_pack.pk3
        - global
            - DMPrecache.scr
        - Extended_gametypes
        - Jims_Punishments
        - Own_scripts
        - Weapons
    Github - Steam - .Crimewavez#5285

Hey man! Thank you for answering! For some reason I didn't get the notification in my inbox so I thought my post had no replies at all. Apologies.

Regarding the modding/scripting of maps, I'd rather take you on your first offer and throw something in for your time and troubles if that's ok with you. Learning to modify maps from scratch would take me a year. How can we stay in touch? DMs? Let me know.

About the structure of files, thanks for that answer, it clarifies the picture.

there is a mod somehwere wich changes all the dm maps in obj maps, it just putt bombs in maps like stalingrad etc, i think when u open than mod and copy 1 map with a bomb u can just change the coords to the desired place in the dm or sp maps u like. (http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/content/tdm-obj-mod)

about the mod overwriten the other...... almost every mod has a dmprecache.scr in there wich executes all the mods of the server.
    if u have 2 mods it will use the dmprecache of the last loaded mod...... u see alot of mods with zzzzzzzzz in front of it... thats becease the server loads on alhabetic order... first mod a than mod b than c... z will load as last.. but zzzzz will load after that and so on. so everyone that creates a mod putts alot of zzzzzz in front of it so they sure the mod loads as last and is working

to have both mods loading u have to open both dmprecache.scr files and scroll down to the bottom where u see exec /global/jimsthings.scr, there u add for example exec /global/messages.scr (or whatever its name is in the dmprecache).

so the mod that is loaded as last has now both exec blabla init.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimbips {sfx} View Post
    there is a mod somehwere wich changes all the dm maps in obj maps, it just putt bombs in maps like stalingrad etc, i think when u open than mod and copy 1 map with a bomb u can just change the coords to the desired place in the dm or sp maps u like. (http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/content/tdm-obj-mod)

about the mod overwriten the other...... almost every mod has a dmprecache.scr in there wich executes all the mods of the server.
    if u have 2 mods it will use the dmprecache of the last loaded mod...... u see alot of mods with zzzzzzzzz in front of it... thats becease the server loads on alhabetic order... first mod a than mod b than c... z will load as last.. but zzzzz will load after that and so on. so everyone that creates a mod putts alot of zzzzzz in front of it so they sure the mod loads as last and is working

to have both mods loading u have to open both dmprecache.scr files and scroll down to the bottom where u see exec /global/jimsthings.scr, there u add for example exec /global/messages.scr (or whatever its name is in the dmprecache).

so the mod that is loaded as last has now both exec blabla init.
    Thank you for your answer, man!

I have that mod (tdm-to-obj). That's a good idea about the copy-pasting bombs in other maps. Would you say it is possible to add objectives in maps without having to actually "mod" them? (like, going into the 3d assets and move them manually and all that). I'll try that with a few of the single player maps and see how it goes.

Also, thanks for the clarification on how those pesky dmprecache things work, a lot more clearer now.

Cheers!