Thread: Bad Command Byte? - looking for help on a map

Default Bad Command Byte? - looking for help on a map

So I have been creating a map on MoH that essentially is based around a black map lit up by a series of func beams. (It utilizes a script that 1337 Smithy was able to provide me with). For about a month of building with func beams everything went fine. However, as of the other day I seem to have run into a road block as when I create func beam t669 and load the map using the LAN MENU, it crashes to the main menu with the error "ERROR: CL_ParseGamestate: bad command byte: -1"

Does anyone know what this means and if I can correct it to continue adding func beams to finish my map? At first I thought there may have been a func beam limit but when I loaded the map using the lan option outside of the game (Spearhead_Server_Setup.exe) I was able to connect to the server with beam t669 added and it did not boot me off the map.

Wondering why beams t1 - t668 are fine, but any beam cloned over t668 makes the map shutdown on LAN with said error.

Thanks
    -Will
    Last edited by The Shadow; August 7th, 2020 at 08:09 AM.

You problably need to increase the number of max entities on the server to fix that.

The only confusing aspect for me with "max entities" is that for the longest time I could not pass func beam t669 without errors, so I deleted a bunch for testing to see if there was a true limit (by building on an earlier save of the map I had made) and then found I could not pass t664. A while ago I had the same issue with func beams likely when I was making beams in the 500s but somehow overcame this number. I don't understand why this error would occur at different numbers if there is a true limit on entities.

Also, I found I can get the map to also run in single player, but the console spams "Delta request from out of date entities" as shown in the screenshot link included below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkRez-Qci5HZjCaG...M6pjr?e=BDz9w6

So just to refresh If I could get some brief feedback (as the post has gotten buried) Errors such as "Delta request from out of date entities" and "ERROR: CL_ParseGamestate: bad command byte: -1" signal too many entities?

If so, just wondering why in different attempts to make it work it crashed at different numbers of entities such as 664 and later 669 opposed to one fixed amount?

Also, don't want to be a bother so I won't keep spamming on here to get attention, just thought I'd take one last shot as I'm not sure if everyone saw this post.
    - Thanks

Have you try increase the number of entities to see if fix?

If not you can try aswell is to add to the entities this server flag:

Code:
    local.crate svflag "+broadcast"

I haven't loaded the map on my server yet, since I frequently check the map to make sure I have the beams where I wanted them I load the map in the Lan Menu in game or in single player.

Is there anything I could add to the map's .scr file or script in Radiant so that it does not require a server & config for a fix? Would make testing for the map (as it is unfinished) quicker for me to keep loading it offline in LAN
    Last edited by The Shadow; August 7th, 2020 at 09:46 AM.

Only the things i told you can put on the script:

Code:
    set maxentities 2000
    local.crate svflag "+broadcast"

Ok, I'll give it a try, do those lines you suggested go after "level waittill prespawn" or before it?

Still can't get the map to run in SH / BT adding that code to any configs or scr files. Oddly enough I can run it fine in Allied Assault without adding any maxentities code and there are no errors spammed in the console either.

Edit: I can also load it in single player on all 3 games. Errors spammed in the BT console but not SH and AA (but all 3 load right)
    Last edited by The Shadow; August 14th, 2020 at 03:48 PM.