Thread: Save player chat in console.log file

Default Save player chat in console.log file

HI!
    When player are chating in server ,how do we save their chat in qconsole.log file? what settings do we use for that?

Yo Tom!

I always use the following cvars in my server.cfg:
    • seta developer 2
    • seta logfile 3
    • seta g_logsync 1
    • seta sv_chatter 1

Then I always manually just stop the server when I want the log.. grab the log and restart the server.

Now you'll have a huge log with a lot of data, so you want to filter out chat messages only. I use 'MuseTips Text Filter' for that (also included in Appendix 13 of my Guide).

If you filter by the word 'dmmessage' you'll see everything typed in chat (including taunts).
    If you filter by 'dmmessage -*1 -*2 -*3 -*4 -*5 -*6' you'll see everything typed in chat EXCLUDING taunts.
    If you filter by 'dmmessage word' you'll see every chat message that has included the word you chose.

Note #1: In the logs, after 'dmmessage' you'll either see 0 or -1. 0 = Chat to all. -1 = Team Chat.
    Note #2: In the logs, before 'dmmessage' you'll see a certain number.. this is the number of the action performed by the player (when connecting, every action (typing, reloading, changing teams etc.) you'll make will get a number, which keeps adding up until you disconnect).

An example of what it looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chatfilter.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	2241

I also use this filter to locate some cheaters that are visible in the logs. You can also backtrack IPs of the people who have done or said certain things (to make sure it's not a namefaker) in the logs themselves.
    Last edited by Shadow; August 4th, 2020 at 04:16 AM.

okej thank you
    And what does this 2 lines do?
    seta chat "1"
    seta sv_chatter "1"

Apparently they're used to log chats (when logs are enabled). But even without adding those lines, chat should be logged.. but might as well use them.

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

Unsure if this tool still works, but I wrote a logfile parse AGES ago that has a chat tab which shows you all the chat providing it is enabled in logfile.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Elephant1au View Post
    Unsure if this tool still works, but I wrote a logfile parse AGES ago that has a chat tab which shows you all the chat providing it is enabled in logfile.
    Never knew, nice dude! Just quickly checked and it still works
    If you'd ever want to update it, I'd have a few suggestions (things to add) ^^