Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mohaa weapon choose

Try modifying the "interval" and "leash" values of the actor

// interval: Sets the distance AI tries to keep between squadmates while moving (default 128)
    local.actor interval 32
    // leash: Sets the maximum distance the AI will wander from its leash home (default 512)
    local.actor leash 2000

// you can check the values like this
    iprintln_noloc "actor.leash = " local.actor.leash
    iprintln_noloc "actor.interval = " local.actor.interval

Also make sure your "local.movepos" is above the ground level

Regarding the issue w\ pressing enter, do you run any browser extensions that could be interfering? If you use a plugin that blocks certain javascript/ajax scripts from running, it may be causing the typing issue for you. See if you can exclude our site from the plugin if that is what's causing it.
    A simple test would be to test it out in incognito mode (as long as incognito mode doesn't have any plugins loaded either).
    Also try another browser (just to troubleshoot the issue a bit)

Thanks a lot Purple Elephant1au for editing my post.
    I switched to Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls.
    this seems to be better than WYSIWYG
    Unfortunately i have to put in bb-code manually now.

I've been working on this project for more then 5 years now,
    and it's really satisfying to see what i have accomplished.
    Especially cause i never learned to program in my childhood.
    I've wrote a new engine to make AI run on Multiplayer.
    And i'm aiming to make Bots (AI) look more intelligent,
    which worked out very well.

@ Zappa

regarding interval
    Is set to .interval = 106
    But when a dog kills an enemy and the bots need to pick up a health pack,
    but the dog stands on top of the healtpack, or close to it,
    they wait till the dog moves away from the health pack, so they can pick it up.
    To resolve that matter i wrote code to set interval = 0, if the situation cals for it,
    so the bots don't wait and run trough the dog to pick up the health pack.
    This also solves the problem when bots follow you around the map,
    if they encounter a dog in there path, they stand still after the dog till he moves away.

if( vector_length ( level.dog.origin - level.2nd_ranger.origin ) < 150 )
    {
    level.2nd_ranger.interval = 0
    }
    else
    {
    level.2nd_ranger.interval = 106
    }

Bots pause a while (interval related) when another bot is in there path and after the pause they run trough that bot,
    this doesn't happen when a bot encounters a dog on his path, they wait till the dog moves away.

Anyway, this doesn't solve the problem of when the bots can navigate to something or not.
    If i need to write code to resolve that problem,
    it would be difficult.
    I need to get the bot's movement (position), which will be run,
    or type_idle which will be runner, if they'r in need for a health pack.
    But even when they aren't in the possibility of moving to that health pack,
    they could move (run) when they see an enemy, are in a curious thinkstate,
    or run away when they see a grenade, or move when a player istouching (.avoidplayer = 1),
    which make them run a short distance because of the instruction "runto level.tonic_pack",
    even if they can't run to that health pack.
    I've also wrote code so bots do not stand in each other anymore (makes them blind, most of the time invisible for other (enemy) bots & looks odd),
    they step away from each other if that occurs.
    I would have to write a counter,
    which has to be reset every time a thinkstate or other circumstance occurs,
    which is not related to running to the health pack,
    and should not last too long,
    because of other events that may occur.
    In a random multiplayer environment, this could lead to weird behavior in terms of bots and timing.

Bottom line, i need a simple variable (like canmoveto (which isn't working)) to do the job,
    otherwise i'm stuck.

If MoHAA can get the information of a bot when they can't move to an object, player or vector as found in the qconsole.log.

^~^~^ Path not found in 'Actor::MoveToPatrolCurrentNode' for (entnum 149, radnum -1, targetname 'Ranger force') from (1297.759766 -884.967957 0.125000) to (2771.064697 -405.039368 8.125002) Reason: couldn't find end node

It should be possible, to use that code, to resolve the navigation problem.
    Last edited by Minami; July 4th, 2020 at 03:44 PM.

Well, as usual, i don't get a solution from the supposedly big programmers of this forum.
    You know, I wrote code to make the bots more intelligent than before.
    Jeroen Vrijkorte's bots are nothing more than slack imitations of single player bots,
    where my bots are interactive and respond to the needs and situations that arise in the multiplayer game.
    As usual, i have to conclude that what is being said here on this forum regarding people's participation in MoH:AA,
    is nothing more than a joke.
    I'm a big fan of MoH:AA and have been programming in it for years.
    I have probably solved more problems than the so-called major programmers of this forum ever did.
    You say anyone can participate in the MoH:AA project,
    but the reality is that you are rejecting any attempt by people with knowledge of the game MoH:AA who want to participate.
    I think the problem lies in the fact that you think you are the best and no one can match this.
    Instead of us all working together, pooling our knowledge to make the game better,
    you want all the fame and contributions for yourself.
    Typical human behavior.
    In my opinion, all people are equal and everyone can contribute.
    Unfortunately, there are always the narcissists and bloated bastards who are in charge.
    So, as usual, i will continue with MoH:AA on my own, and will no longer participate.

I hope your MoH:AA community will continue to grow,
    because the way you are doing it now, it really doesn't look like it.
    I don't like to play online anymore,
    because there is no cerativity and inventiveness, this is what you lack,
    all server are always the same, no adventurous value.
    I thought you Americans were so good at that,
    I have always admired the American lifestyle,
    watching your movies, no country could ever top that.
    having said this,

not goodbye

Wow Miname... a lot in your post above I'm not sure is well-founded/supported. For just one example out of many, to the best of my knowledge very few of the core development team here are Americans. Much of that brain-trust is in the EU and similar. However, I'm going to leave all that subjective stuff behind. Lets focus on the bits & bytes...

I'm most interested in your 'AI bots' code you mention above. What was your 'new engine' (I assume running outside of the mohaa environment) written in? I'd personally love to take a gander through the code, I assume you're making it available to the community? It sure would be nice to have some great AI bots and I'm willing to look at anything. My degree was computer science and I'm pretty focused on data structures and algorithms, so AI code is something I'm sure I can grok (I took a light dive into it a while back). Please post the code and I'll take a look!

If for some reason you aren't making it available to the community to use on servers, can you at least describe which of the classical approaches you used in your AI approach? Tell me more about the architecture at least, we're interested in making mohaa better! Thanks

Not all of us are on here all the time. Sorry if no one got to respond to you or assist you, most of us just have other priorities in life these days so we don't have as much time as we used to a few years ago.

Anyway, regarding bots; MOH series doesn't have "smart bots" period. Some people managed to optimize them a bit to make them less "dummy" like, but the fact of the matter is that there isn't a whole lot in the engine to work with. If you want MP bots like there are in Quake or counter strike; it would require some serious engine modification to support that. We (ley0k) got a little bit with that, but it was mostly a POC, and it was never released because it was more a test.

Also, I'm not sure what gives you the idea that we think we're better than anyone else... No one said that except for you. We're here to help anyone we can, but as I mentioned many of us have other priorities in life. I don't nearly have as much free time as I did 10 years ago. As I continue reading your post, it's sad to see that for someone that claims to be passionate about contributing to MOHAA; all I have seen in your previous post is taking shots at the people that have literally volunteered thousands of hours of their time in the past decade to give back to the community. Not only that but our work is non-profit, so I'm not sure where all your attacks are coming from.

If you would like a more "immediate" answer I would recommend joining our discord channel.
    Anyway, good luck to you. I look forward to seeing your progress with these bots. If you get them working, I would be interested in seeing them in action.

Sigh, here we go again.

You used the same thread to discuss a different issue, which is probs why no one understood what exactly are you asking help for.
    You seem to bloat most of your posts with useless phrases, just so you know no body likes walls of texts.

Quote Originally Posted by Minami View Post
    Well, as usual, i don't get a solution from the supposedly big programmers of this forum.
    We, the "supposedly big programmers", did not create mohaa.
    You have to understand, when something is closed source, like mohaa, you have little to no documentation.
    In fact, your sepcific issue seems to be related to actor library, which I did most of in openmohaa.
    Let me clarify: actors are not well documented at all anywhere on the web, there are parts of code that I found proper documentation for in PA docs!
    So, any issues related to actors are not going to be easily solved because actors are not understood fully, yet.

Jeroen Vrijkorte's bots are nothing more than slack imitations of single player bots,
    where my bots are interactive and respond to the needs and situations that arise in the multiplayer game.
    How can you measure "bot intelligence"? Why are you comparing your stuff to JV-maps stuff that are made 17+ years ago ?
    If you're so fond of your bots, make a video showcasing them, that is if you really think they're any good.

As usual, i have to conclude that what is being said here on this forum regarding people's participation in MoH:AA,
    DO you know how many projects (opensource/closed) exist that helped and still help the situation in mohaa ?
    Do you know how many of the are made by people here?
    I have probably solved more problems than the so-called major programmers of this forum ever did.
    You have 24 posts ever since joining this forum, from Dec 2014.
    but the reality is that you are rejecting any attempt by people with knowledge of the game MoH:AA who want to participate.
    I think the problem lies in the fact that you think you are the best and no one can match this.
    Instead of us all working together, pooling our knowledge to make the game better,
    https://github.com/openmoh/openmohaa
    https://github.com/mohabhassan/NightFall

Opensource, anyone can contribute, no restrictions. You can even fork your own version and do whatever you want with it.
    Typical human behavior.
    You make it sound like you're non-human, could you perhaps be a lizard? Monster girl? Shape-shifting reptilian?
    PS: If you're a monster girl hit me up, I've always wanted to meet one.

Unfortunately, there are always the narcissists and bloated bastards who are in charge.
    When did anyone choose who can contribute and who can't ? read up my comments on opensource.

So, as usual, i will continue with MoH:AA on my own, and will no longer participate.
    Feel free to, I'm sure we'll be at loss since you'll stop activity (especially since you're a highly active member with 24 posts in 6 years, and 0 mods released on AAAA DB).

We aren't responsible in anyway for your quality of gameplay. We aren't responsible for server mods. Each server's modder is.

Where did you get the idea that we're mostly American?
    Most of us aren't.

not goodbye
    So you're staying ?

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

I'm a big fan of MoH:AA and have been programming in it for years.
    Typical human behavior.

I hope your MoH:AA community will continue to grow,
    having said this,

not goodbye
    1. As RyBack has noticed. It would probably help if you opened separate thread about AI Bots, instead of writing about them in a thread titled "mohaa weapon choose" where it seems that your initial question was resolved. The fault on our side is that we didn't close the thread after you've received answer to your problem. This is however our forum policy to keep threads alive in case someone comes with similar problems in the future.

2. i don't get a solution from the supposedly big programmers of this forum.
    We usually offer help, not solutions. We also don't consider ourselves "big programmers".

3. As usual, i have to conclude that what is being said here on this forum regarding people's participation in MoH:AA,
    I don't know why you come with conclusions like that. Didn't people participate in your thread to offer help and brainstorm solutions?
    Any major work (like AI bots) need R&D work, so there isn't any simple way to give answers. A lot of that is try&error approach. We can't hold your hand and lead you to a solution on a silver platter.
    jv_map bots are old, but there is a reason why you don't see newer AI bots.. they are hard to do.

4. I'm a big fan of MoH:AA and have been programming in it for years.
    Cool! We are big fans too! If you have any solution of problems you solved, that you could share with people on this forum, you are welcome to do so I'm sure this will help other players and server admins

5. You say anyone can participate in the MoH:AA project,
    I didn't see any rejection from anyone who answered your thread. Actually, all people that initially answered you, offered their time and help to help you push your mod forward.

6. I think the problem lies in the fact that you think you are the best and no one can match this.
    All I saw in this thread were people working together and brainstorming ideas and sharing knowledge around your problem to help you achieve your goals.

7. Typical human behavior.
    Yes, we are humans and we forget things, don't know things, don't have time to respond to every post and thread. We are not automatic secretaries waiting for your questions to answer them with 100ms response delay.

8. In my opinion, all people are equal and everyone can contribute.
    We share the same opinion. Did anyone stop you from contributing?

9. Unfortunately, there are always the narcissists and bloated bastards who are in charge.
    Just because we didn't have enough knowledge, or time to answer your questions, you assume we are bloated bastards? I think it's offensive towards all the people who tried to help you with your questions in this thread.
    Who hurt you?
    If I were you, I would reconsider my behavior towards other people who tried to help, even when they are not in any way obliged to do so.

10. I hope your MoH:AA community will continue to grow,
    We hope our community will continue to grow as long as there is any interest in the game.

11. I don't like to play online anymore,
    You can change that! The power is in your hands! Start your own server, install interesting mods or create new ones and share with others! This is what it's all about, thousands of possibilities, no borders. Only available time is a limiting factor.

12. I thought you Americans were so good at that,
    I think we as human beings are good at that. We come from different countries and different backgrounds, and this diversity helps in coming up with new interesting ideas.

However, maybe you are right and we actually LACK people from USA. Most of us are from EU or other countries.. so maybe this is why we lack creativity that Americans are known for.
    If you know any creative Americans that are interested in MoH:AA and want to contribute, we will happily cooperate with them, send them to us