Thread: reborn server crash on map change in Windows 10 because of IgnoreFreeLibrary-Flag

Default reborn server crash on map change in Windows 10 because of IgnoreFreeLibrary-Flag

Hi!

I set up a fresh Windows REBORN-Server on Windows and during the first server start the map change was working. But since the second start the server crashed every time after 3-5 map changes regardless
    of map change by RCON or automatic map change because of the mapcycle.

I made a few tests and found out that the problem only occurs in Windows 10, but not on Windows 7 or 8 and also not on Ubuntu with the Appelpitje docker-version.
    In my case it is clear that the error does not depend on other MODs, because I made fresh installations for testing.

After some tests I found out that the following registry key causes the crashes:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "C:\\Games\\MOHAA\\MOHAA_server.exe"="$ IgnoreFreeLibrary<gamex86mohaa.dll>"

This registry key is written in Windows 10 nearly every time after the MOHAA-server window is closed. But this key must be deleted before every server start, otherwise the map change does not work.

The solution for me seems to be a batchfile for starting the server

reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v C:\Games\MOHAA\MOHAA_server.exe /f
    cd "C:\Games\MOHAA"
    "MOHAA_server.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set developer 2 +set logfile 2 +exec mohaa-rebornserver.cfg

It also seems that the problem occurs only when the MOHAA server is started by a Doubleklick on a Desktop-Link to the mohaa_server.exe.

So if the Windows MOHAA-server as an alternative is started by this batchfile, maybe even the "reg delete"-command is also not needed if the key is still not written in the registry because it seems the AppCompatFlag is only written when the MOHAA-server is started through the Desktop-Link to the MOHAA_server.exe and not by a batchfile. But to be sure that the map change works, the "reg delete"-line should be of course also part of the batch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails registrykey-problem.png  
    Last edited by frawimmer; November 27th, 2023 at 11:13 PM.