Thread: Updated MoH OBJ Map List **WITH CREATION DATES**

Default Updated MoH OBJ Map List **WITH CREATION DATES**

Hey guys,
    Posted this here and on AAAA where the orginal topic was discussed but I thought I'd share it with the users here too...

Back in June of last year I had posted a thread here: https://forums.mohaaaa.co.uk/threads...light=creation
    This thread discussed my interest in finding out the creation dates of all MoH customs by checking the .bsp file in maps (which is usually untouched from the day it is compiled)

So far I have finally finished going through all of the known OBJ maps made for MoH, and archived them myself personally. To my belief these dates should be 98% correct to within a few days of the original maps creation. Some maps I found had creation dates that were not 100% correct due to people messing around with .bsp files being meshed into map packs. In these cases I was usually able to open the .bsp files with hex editor and read the correct creation date under hex lines labeled (map time).

Another plus of the list I will provide below is that I based this list off of the rcon one created by Shadow (Brian). So I have added any recent maps that were not listed in his list which I believe was made in 2013. My list also includes whether the map has an Objective for the Allies to complete, the Axis, or for both teams. There are also notes on any encounters I had with bugs/problems loading the maps, and if the map has been archived by AAAA or not. The file is an Excel document so users can mess around with sorting to see which maps are considered the oldest, and which are newer.
    I am currently somewhere near 50% done with an updated list of all MoH DM maps which will be posted in the future.

Here is the OBJ List:
    ***NOTE*** You may have to download the file to read it, when you open it under one drive there seem to be errors viewing it
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkRez-Qci5HZjA27...AshqZ?e=ShxeeI
    Last edited by Shadow; March 7th, 2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: URL was broken, fixed it.

That is so awesome!

I absolutely love lists like these, and getting all the info in them.
    I'm glad my list was useful as well (which I did stop adding onto years ago, there's indeed a load of additional maps that are missing from that list).

I went through every map myself and made sure to do everything I could to find the names of the creator/author and mention if a .map was included (or add them to it, when I found them somewhere else).
    Awesome to see someone else using that info and adding more onto it I definitely am saving this list and can't wait to see the full version (with DM maps being done). Will you do the Single Player ones as well?
    It definitely is a daunting task to go through such a huge amount of files..

Btw, fun fact, which you might be interested in.
    In 2002 there were 2 Mapping Contests.. one from EA itself which ran between June and July 2002. Surgeon won with his 'Small City' map, and as a reward it got added into Spearhead as a default map (Stadt).
    The other contest was run by 3DGaming, and they build a mappackage out of all of the maps that competed. Plus, I have all the info and the dates of all those maps (in case you missed any of them, or are slightly off, I didn't look).

Spoiler: 3DGaming Mapping Contest Readme
    MAP ASSAULT 2002 ***********************
    Visit http://contest.3dgaming.de *******
    CONTEST MAP PACK ***** ma2002mappack.exe
    08/30/2002 *****************************
    Alexander Golubowitsch, lexi@3dgaming.de

Thanks to Pete Larsen, Mario Wahle,
    Manuel Bertrams, Simone Stoessel, Markus
    Weise, Dirk Lampe, PC ACTION Magazine
    and anyone who helped us out. Cheers.

INDEX *********************************
    1.) ALL FILES INFO
    2.) MAPS BY MODE: DM MAPS
    3.) MAPS BY MODE: TDM MAPS
    4.) MAPS BY MODE: OBJ MAPS
    5.) MAPS BY MODE: SP MAPS

1.) ALL FILES INFO ********************

- duenkirchen.pk3 *********************
    Title: Duenkirchen
    Author: Lowmax
    Email: mexx03@aol.com
    File: dm/duenkirchen.bsp
    Modes: DM,TDM,RB

- obj_lastcastle3.pk3 *****************
    Title: The Last Castle 3
    Author: Mark Heard
    Email: mheard@cfl.rr.com
    File: obj/obj_lastcastle3.bsp
    Modes: OBJ

- obj_rustinpeace.pk3 *****************
    Title: Rust In Peace
    Author: Magus CPD OZZY -=[WAF]=-
    Email: rntcerqueira@uol.com.br
    File: dm/dm_rustinpeace.bsp
    Modes: TDM
    File: obj/obj_rustinpeace.bsp

- russia.pk3 **************************
    Title: Russia
    Author: SpiKe
    Email: creating_worlds@mallosworld.co.uk
    File: dm/russia.bsp
    Modes: DM

- stomp.pk3 ***************************
    Title: Suburban Stomp
    Author: McBain
    Email: petervoelzke@hotmail.com
    File: dm/stomp.bsp
    Modes: DM,TDM,RB

- stompobj.pk3 ************************
    Title: Suburban Stomp
    Author: McBain
    Email: petervoelzke@hotmail.com
    File: obj/stompobj.bsp

- stpaul.pk3 **************************
    Title: St. Paul
    Author: Dutch Development
    Email: home@pandora.be
    File: dm/stpaul.bsp
    Modes: DM,TDM

- test_winter3.pk3 ********************
    Title: Westwall
    Author: Manstein
    Email: mayorfracture@web.de
    File: test_winter3.bsp
    Modes: SP

- User-CanalTown_V2.pk3 ***************
    Title: Canal Town v2
    Author: Viper=VX9=
    Email: sajackson_245@yahoo.com
    File: dm/canaltown.bsp

- user-hanger_se.pk3 ******************
    Title: Hanger SE
    Author: Small Sumo
    Email: garylack@hotmail.com
    File: obj/hanger_se.bsp

- User-objDesertBase_Final.pk3 ********
    Title: Desert Base (Final)
    Author: Crizz
    Email: c.simek@kabsi.at
    File: obj/obj_DesertBase_Final.bsp

- User-trench.pk3 *********************
    Title: Forward Trench
    Author: LONERANGER
    Email: scott@df2ww2.net
    File: dm/trench.bsp

- user - 1lab5F.pk3 *******************
    Title: The Secret Lab
    Author: tstrait72
    Email: tstrait72@hotmail.com
    File: dm/lab5F.bsp
    Modes: DM

- V2v2.pk3 ****************************
    Title: V2 v2
    Author: ]NBK[Hiwayman
    Email: dmball1@telusplanet.net
    File: obj/V2v2.bsp

2.) DM MAPS ***************************
    File: dm/russia.bsp
    File: dm/lab5F.bsp

3.) TDM MAPS **************************
    File: dm/dm_rustinpeace.bsp
    File: dm/canaltown.bsp
    File: dm/trench.bsp

4.) OBJ MAPS **************************
    File: obj/obj_lastcastle3.bsp
    File: obj/obj_rustinpeace.bsp
    File: obj/stompobj.bsp
    File: obj/hanger_se.bsp
    File: obj/obj_DesertBase_Final.bsp
    File: obj/V2v2.bsp

5.) SP MAPS ***************************
    File: test_winter3.bsp

Creation Dates
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapping_Contest_Dates.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	2185

Thanks Shadow!

It's funny you should mention that 3D map pack. A few years ago one of my clan members told me about some files he found on an old hard drive, and the installation file for this map pack was on it (which he gave to me).
    As I continue to make the complete DM list, I will keep these maps in mind.

I hadn't even thought of a list for the single player maps, but now I think I will... Also an interesting thing I found while messing around was the creation date of the stock maps mohdm1 mohdm2 mohdm3 etc. using my hex editor. Most all of them were made in mid November 2001 (I might make a document for specific dates these maps alongside SH and BT)

Glad to contribute toward the community for this game, it's one of the few I still play consistently lol

Awesome! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing those of the custom Single Player maps as well Which also included maps made to test certain mapping techniques and/or custom mechanics, which is nice to see when people came to these ideas.

I can't wait to see the final product, I'd love to add it into my Tutorials Package!

I don't know if this is of any use.. but I have a (old) list of maps that I couldn't find online, at least no download link, just the information that they exist.
    Maybe you have some of these or want to add them to the list anyways..
    It's in an old post of mine: https://www.x-null.net/forums/thread...ome-(old)-maps!!

Recently I also found a post again with certain bugs on OBJ maps, where the bomb could only be planted during the first round. Hanny & Splatterguts found a fix to this, might also be interesting:
    https://www.x-null.net/forums/thread...ts-first-round

If you encounter any map with very thick white fog (unable to see even a meter ahead of you), I found a fix for this.. as I encounter a decent amount of them when testing maps:
    Spoiler: White Fog Fix
    Some custom maps on AA, SH and BT have a limited vision range, which means that you can only look a meter in front of you and after that everything is basically white. To fix this you’ll have to edit the map script and re-upload it to the server (it will only be fixed server-side, not client-side).
    - Open pakscape
    - Drag the custom map pk3 to pakscape
    - Go to the maps\dm and/or maps\obj folder
    - Open the map’s .scr file (not a prechache .scr file)
    - Find where it says ‘level waittill spawn’
    - Above that line place the following line: $world farplane 20000
    - Save the .scr file on your desktop
    - Drag and overwrite the .scr file from your desktop into the folder of the map
    - Save the pk3 in pakscape
    - Everything should be working now!

Sorry for throwing all this info at ya, it's all just springing to mind. And as you're testing/checking these maps, figured it could possibly come in use (or not ofc :P).

As I wrote over at AAAA,

Just an update, and a rather exciting breakthrough.

As I have been archiving and collecting data on maps for my charts I stumbled upon an exciting discovery via the wayback website machine. From a readme found inside a map pk3 I was able to find a large network of old websites one of which was alliedassault.com (sites that are long gone now). On alliedassault.com I have began to find the creators of several old maps, that have previously been listed as unknown on AAAA and other sites (as the creators made no scr with their name, no read me files, or readme's were lost when zip files were not saved). While the downloads to this old site are broken the information on the original creators is useful. I have also found other creators via maps on gamefront that still have their zip files. (often readme files get lost as they may not have been put in pk3 put alonside it in a zip file)

I now have about 1100 dm maps done, with around 500 to go and hope to be done with an updated DM map list by some point in June. I will also consult these old sites to see if I can dig up more lost creators to give them credit. (I'm thinking I'll make a seperate word or notepad document for anyone at AAAA if they want to edit the files if/when the site is updated again for creators currently listed as unknown)

Anyone interested in seeing some of the first MoH Customs posted back in 2002 can look here, page 11 is oldest page 1 is more recent:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20021006...00&sortby=date