Thread: Server Lagging Issues

Default Server Lagging Issues

Hi All.

Guys many players carry this conception that high ping players (say somewhere between 100-200ms) can cause a server to experience lag for low ping (~ say around 30-50ms) players. I wonder to which extent this notion can be correct. Because:

1. Not all servers observe this behavior, even those that allow upto 300ms pings.

2. MOHAA game (and almost all the network based games) are based on UDP (and not TCP) so apparently server ( or client) should not be concerned about state maintenance of sessions.

3. If high pings really cause computational problems at server level (and hence players experience lag) why this problem is not observed when total players on server are in moderate range (say around 20).

Can you guys recommend some settings to tune for improvement in players experience at peak times (30+ players)? Or is it simply related to raw CPU power at server end ?

Also some valuable input from developers perspective who can shed some light at a deeper level on this issue would be more than welcoming.

Some people are just writing unoptimized mods or slap mindlessly several mods from DB on server because they have no idea what they are doing and what they want. In my experience if you keep only necessary minimum on your server you are good to go. Also IDK if it's case with mohaa, in COD4 and other games it works like that, unused mods may waste your resources also.
    Github - Steam - .Crimewavez#5285

To your point, I believe a big part of it has to do with the network relay/ packets, and the compression... I remember years ago I used to play the game WarRock; that's a game I believe developed in Korea, and despite having a pretty high ping 100-200ms, my game play was very smooth. The server also had 16+ players, so it was not super packed, but it def had a good amount of players in it from all over the world. Anyway I haven't played the game in a long time and I'm sure a lot has changed since then, but they did a good job with the network optimization.

So it does have a lot to do with how well the code is written. It's the same reason developers don't put in a lot of time into creating a good AC system. Instead the use platforms like punkbuster to do that... Because they know that it doesn't matter how secure or insecure the game is; as long as the game has good graphics\gameplay, gamers will be all over it. And investing time into making it secure, will cost more than they would like to invest their time in to.

In case someone is inquisitive enough to know about League of Legends (developed by Riot Games), they have a tech blog here . Its really amazing to read that they developed their own Internet backbone to provide best online gaming experience for their game play. In general, they have many posts that I am sure many of Devs here will find informative and interesting.

Having said that, yes @Criminal I get your point about mods conflicting but that should impact the server even with few players. What @James is saying probably boils down to availability of raw CPU power at server end. And yes I agree that efficient code writing can have a huge impact on overall execution of programs/games.

Lets see what else we can have on this subject.

I remember testing an intel atom server in the past with few mors and it lagged so hard that it was unplayable, when 20ish players joined the server. When you use a decent new cpu, there is no problem. So it does depends on howmany mods and how heavy the mods are in combination with decent hardware.