Thread: MOHAA to Q3

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MOHAA to Q3

G'day, I'm trying to create a 3D model from MOHAA brushwork.
    I don't have the third party programs mentioned by Zappa in the other thread (Stalingrad) so I'm following an alternative that I found some time ago, here KatBits.com
    This method creates an ASE file which can be imported by LightRay3D then export as a skd.

I've followed the preparation steps:
    To do this, select, copied or created the initial brushwork that needs to be converted into a model, surround it with a 'caulk hull' box, the box should encase the object on all sides and be sealed with no gaps or openings present. Place an info_player_start inside the box, it doesn't matter where so long as it doesn't intersect or get in the way of any brushwork or the caulk hull. Make sure to correctly position the brushwork object relative to the 0,0,0, grid centre point as shown below, remove any game related entities and un-group any brush based entities so they become raw brushes again. Save the file as a *.map.

Centre brushwork appropriate to the intended use of the model

Remove all game related entities except info_player_start

Texture only the faces you want converted

Caulk all unseen and unwanted faces

Use info_player_start entity only, not another player or ai spawn marker

Break brush based entities back into normal brushwork

Place a caulk box around selection

Make sure there are no gaps or leaks

Using MOHAA Radiant, I saved the desired area of brushwork from my MOHAA map as a prefab.
    I then opened a new map and imported that prefab.
    After centering it in all three views I then surrounded it closely with caulk brushes to form a box and added an info_player_start entity inside.
    I then saved that as a map.

I have copied the map of my proposed model to the Q3A/maps/dm folder and opened GTKRadiant.
    It is listed in GTKRadiant "File/Open" menu but when the map is selected it doesn't load.
    The 2D grid and 3D window are both still empty. However it lists all of the textures used.

When I select "File/Import" it isn't listed.
    The only import options are ".map" or ".reg"
    I don't see any menu item to import prefab or I'd create the map again in Q3A.

Is there something I must change manually in the map file using a text editor for it to read as a Q3A map?

Thank you.

P.S. I'll be away for a few hours so I'm sorry if I don't answer any reply sooner.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; December 20th, 2019 at 03:41 PM.