Thread: (Clientside) Graphics Features

Default (Clientside) Graphics Features

When Medal of Honor was released almost everyone had 4:3 monitors, but now many games are made widescreen and with 16:9 or 16:10 ratios. The screen resoutions in Medal of Honor while good in the past are a bit outdated. I know these settings can be changed through a .cfg file fix. Field of View with these resolutions also causes problems, the static menus become stretched and they are not proportional. Pre-game menus would have to be sized or have additional texture work done. I think that a very important part of pulling people back to the game is the support of higher resolutions and proper field of view.

The addition of support for Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering in the form of a drop down box would truly make the game look amazing. It can all be done behind the scenes through video card drivers, but it would be nice to bring these common features to Medal of Honor. I am sure there are a few additional settings hidden in the game to improve the graphics, perhaps a higher level of detail setting would be possible for models at distance or even higher resolution shadows. I know I have certainly seen some amazing things done on the Quake 3 engine.

Hopefully something can be done about a few of these issues in the future. I am so happy to see 1.12 progressing. In the past, I helped submit bugs to mods-r-us and the reloaded mod with someone named snake-"something?". I hope someone has benefited on the mapping side of things for those submissions oh so long ago. It would be a shame for some of the former work I did hunting mapping errors to be lost. Best wishes and I will continue to keep an eye on things and make note of any bugs I encounter.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Hi, this will be hard to accomplish because we don't have source code of game renderer (which is open source for Quake 3 but not for MoH:AA, even full SDK wasn't released for MoH:AA). We would need to reverse whole renderer engine function calls etc.

This is a nice idea, but I can't promise you anything. If I'll realise that me or someone from the team is capable of doing this, then we'll probably do this.

I'll be honest, but I'll tell you guys I'm a bit outdated on the rendering these days in games. Would you mind explaining what these 2 things exactly do in the game (Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering)? What effects do these bring to the game and is this something that is "do-able" via tweaking in MOHAA? If so, and we know that it's supported then I think it may be possible, however if it's unsupported and we need to implement it into the game, then as mentioned by razorapid, it would require alot more reverse engineering for the rendering engine.

I do know though that okidoki reversed some stuff for the renderer.

AA (Anti-Aliasing):

AF (Anisotropic filtering):

It shouldnt require reverse engineering, it is something the engine is capable to deal with through drivers.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

It will require RE, because we don't have the source code, and how do you imagine that we will add new code into renderer? We need to RE renderer engine to add our own functionality. Drivers support that, but only if you add this support into your application. Since we don't have source code, we need to RE it first to add something.

ah i see, that makes sense