View Poll Results: Should NightFall be:

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open source, means it will be immortal and others will be able to participate in it.

8 66.67%
  • Closed source, legals and distribution will be easier.

4 33.33%

Thread: [POLL] NightFall's future

Default [POLL] NightFall's future

Hello,
    I have been reconsidering making NightFall closed source, since it'll help me a lot with legals, distribution and other important aspects of the patch.
    On the other hand, being opensource essentially means NightFall is immortal, as any issue can be fixed by the opensource community.

Alright, seems most people want it opensource, and I'd like it that way tho.

There's only one issue: How can I prevent other ppl from redistributing my work under a different name ?
    Or if I can rephrase it: What's stopping someone from making changes and redistributing their own version?

This is a wild guess...
    But what if "YOUR" version included some "required module" for users to know they are using the official nightfall version and only YOUR version allows clients to connect if they have all files. But the trick is that your file, would be non-gpl; in the sense that it has some sort of unique hash that it looks for while connecting.

You don't include that hash in the open source, and you don't need to because it's non-GPL. If you write your own module from scratch, then GPL wouldn't apply to it.

So if someone else tries to redistribute your source, they wouldn't have the required module to be able to actually connect to servers.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

The answer is YOU CAN'T. Once you make something public there's nothing you can do about such cases. Plus - the very definition of open source is that it means people can do this. The project of this size doesn't have enough momentum or resources that would make it possible to go with something like this to court etc.

Your best bet is to keep the original repo of exceptional quality so people will always prefer your version over some half-assed forks.

Quote Originally Posted by Razo[R]apiD View Post
    The answer is YOU CAN'T. Once you make something public there's nothing you can do about such cases. Plus - the very definition of open source is that it means people can do this. The project of this size doesn't have enough momentum or resources that would make it possible to go with something like this to court etc.

Your best bet is to keep the original repo of exceptional quality so people will always prefer your version over some half-assed forks.
    So, you prefer closed source ?

(I can keep it open source & with exceptional quality tho)

Ok it'll be open source, my call.