I've always wondered this and never found a plausible/concrete answer. I'm posting in hopes that someone can (definitively) answer the riddle for me:

WHY did original mohaa devs always call global/dmprecache.scr twice? Forget subsequent mods and such - just in the original stock game. Also forget for a minute that we (definitely not the original devs) hijacked dmprecache.scr to call/initiate a lot of mods too.

The mapscript_precache caches up the items needed for that specific map - that makes sense for both SP and MP. Then for multiplayer, the mapscript_precache gets executed as usual but so does dmprecache - obviously intended to cache things up that would be common to all maps in multiplayer.

So if you look at a completely stock pk3 extract, you'll see that every single dm and obj map has a mapscript_precache that calls global/dmprecache, and every one of those mapscripts also calls dmprecache.scr. Yes, I know this is why peeps put in logic in most of their scripts to check "if I have already run....", but that's not the question. I'm curious as to what possible reason they could have to call dmprecache from BOTH the mapscript AND the mapscript_precache. There just has to be a reason they did that so consistently that I am missing......