Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masterserver Redundancy

Default Masterserver Redundancy

We all appreciate own3mall's efforts on getting the masterserver back up. I know first hand the sinking feeling when a service you run goes down unexpectedly. This is why sysadmins can affect the global markets for stresstabs, tums, and maalox

Now that it's back up, I'd like to propose a more redundant or distributed strategy. My first blush guess would be to drop a loadbalancer/proxy or two that is outside all networks that the masterserverS sit on - perhaps aws (no charges or donations needed). I also own a commercial hosting facility, so I'd be happy to host another masterserver - gratis. The idea being that if one of them goes down, services stay up. There's more than one way to skin this cat, that's just one idea off the top of my head. There is also the issue of one site for all the dns servers related to mohaa/xnull things and that can be fixed easily as well (we run our own dns cluster that is somewhat underutilized).

I'd rather not get bogged down in a hundred post thread of the different ways to accomplish redundancy, for this thread I'd just like to see if the group wants to head that direction - and I'm offering to help.

Best,

Todesengel

It's a good idea. It's already pretty easy to get a master server instance running on another server. The code is hosted on our instance of gitlab, but it's private and only Razor and I have access to it (but could easily be opened to other users).

The problem is that the game client is hard coded to use master.x-null.net - so whatever IP it resolves to is the only master, unless your DNS cluster routes traffic between many IPs for a host name if it acts as the authority. And then, you'd have to worry about the data being out of sync between the many instances we have... unless they all shared the same database instance, which would be nice, but there's another point for failure. Even if you have redundancy, somewhere down the line something could fail and still mess everything up.

I haven't done much research into DNS redundancy, but it's something I will be looking into soon (it would be nice - I have a master and slave DNS setup option, so maybe I'm just missing something easy). Evidently, multiple IPs in the name server entry for a domain doesn't seem to help... seems like traffic is always routed to the first IP.

If I actually had any money, I'd have better redundancy for sure. I have learned how to better recover from something this major if it ever happens again... figured out how to move VM containers from one machine to another as quickly as possible, so it's not all a wash. It sucked and was stressful though. The worst part is you're not there in person to work on the server... gotta ask the data center techs to do stuff... unless I fly out there, which isn't happening.

Let's Encrypt certificates take several hours to finally issue due to their stupid limits.
    Browse MOHAA Servers Post GameSpy Era

VISIT MOHREBORN.COM FOR LATEST INFORMATION

Medal of Honor: Game Server Browser Fixer - Patches your MOHAA, MOHSH, and MOHBT game binaries to allow you to retrieve a list of game servers within the multi-player menu in-game even after GameSpy ceases operation!

Medal of Honor: Query Launcher - Find, browse, organize, join, get your ping, and get more information regarding all Medal of Honor (AA, SH, & BT) servers from your PC at any time!
    Medal of Honor: Web Server Master List - Find and browse all Medal of Honor servers online using your browser!
    Add your Medal of Honor Server to the Master List
    YouTube Video for Medal of Honor: Query Launcher and MOHAASERVERS.TK!

MOHAA Mods and Utilities
    OwN-3m-All's Mods
    Make Me Stock - A program that allows you to easily move-in and move-out non-stock mods and other files at the click of a button. Automates adding / removing mods without having to copy / move files manually.

Quality Game Servers

Rent dedicated Dallas Texas, Kansas City, Las Vegas Nevada, Chicago, Pennsylvania, and Sofia Bulgaria MOHAA and other game servers from We Be HostiN starting at $10 a month.

Good points Own3mall. I can start up a linux instance and use masterserver executables, but if the code is pretty simple I'd like to see if I can get it to compile on freebsd as that's my poison of choice.

Can you and/or Razor get me gitlab access to the masterservercode and I'll give it a try compiling (my username there is 'todesengel')? And if it's not C.... at least I can snag the php/python/whatever and bring up a server to make sure it works. Once that is done, we can tackle the DNS HA. You're right... windows devices in particular seem to glob-on to the primary nameserver and dont seem to check the secondary/tertiary like they should. I have ideas for that

Tode

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Part of it is in C, the rest in python. I will give you the access. There are few other things to consider - big one is DB. Is it hosted on the same machine, as server? If we have several nodes we start to have a distributed service, and we need to think about data integrity (first version used sqlite, I think own3mall ported it to mysql). For example - proper transactions and a db node that is hosted elsewhere with backups. Or switch to another DB that's more scalable and support sharding/replicas etc.

I was initially thinking mysql, as it fully supports master/slave or master/master etc etc. I'll be able to offer better suggestions after I see the schema and other architecture pieces.

I granted your account access to the repo. I can always open that MySQL login and password as a remote login too if that would help.

You'll need Python 3.4 to run it.

Medal of Honor: Game Server Browser Fixer - Patches your MOHAA, MOHSH, and MOHBT game binaries to allow you to retrieve a list of game servers within the multi-player menu in-game even after GameSpy ceases operation!

Medal of Honor: Query Launcher - Find, browse, organize, join, get your ping, and get more information regarding all Medal of Honor (AA, SH, & BT) servers from your PC at any time!
    Medal of Honor: Web Server Master List - Find and browse all Medal of Honor servers online using your browser!

MOHAA Mods and Utilities
    OwN-3m-All's Mods
    Make Me Stock - A program that allows you to easily move-in and move-out non-stock mods and other files at the click of a button. Automates adding / removing mods without having to copy / move files manually.

Quality Game Servers

Rent dedicated Dallas Texas, Kansas City, Las Vegas Nevada, Chicago, Pennsylvania, and Sofia Bulgaria MOHAA and other game servers from We Be HostiN starting at $10 a month.

@own3mall: Dont forget to update the Query Launcher to use aswell the masterserver from Tode when is ready to run.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleKill View Post
    @own3mall: Dont forget to update the Query Launcher to use aswell the masterserver from Tode when is ready to run.
    There are no plans to replace the current master, and I'm guessing the ultimate idea here is that master.x-null.net will somehow resolve between multiple instances (which tode is going to playing with / seeing if it's even feasible).

MOHAA Mods and Utilities
    OwN-3m-All's Mods

Quality Game Servers

@own3mall : correct
    I guess its possible the ultimate solution could be a different FQDN, but that's very premature at this point. I would imagine it would stay the same....

Give me some time to digest things

@own3mall: I dont have say was to replace, i have say was to put them both on the Query Launcher.

If one goes down and resolve to the other, is fine for me.