Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adlerberg Map (New) - Looking for map testers!

Default Adlerberg Map (New) - Looking for map testers!

Calling all mappers and MoH players!

I have just about finished my second map, and am preparing the final release for in the next week or so. I was hoping that a few mappers and other members could test drive the beta version which I will attach in this thread to look for any problems, errors, or bugs that could be removed before I make a final version.

Anyone on the forum feel free to test this map and let me know of any issues! Just please don't distribute this version for game play as I will release an official version after this testing phase. (I also posted this on the AAAA community)
    Thank you!

- <T|F|B>The Shadow

Download:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkRez-Qci5HZiy4w76djrZrd_dnw

Went entrance in red carpet office is a little bit problematic, I had to use jumping method like on lamp spot in southern france.
    Github - Steam - .Crimewavez#5285

There is an issue with the rendering.
    Almost the whole map is being rendered all the time no matter where you are.

Maybe you shouldn't put the whole map inside a big cube.
    would be better if you do it like in the V2 Rocket map, just a small cube with the sky texture only where you can see the sky.
    and some rooms are not completely sealed (with HINT texture), like the vent opening in the red carpet room

The .prt and .vis files inside the pk3 are not necessary, they are only used to compile the .bps.
    the .bak file is just a backup of the .map file (It depends on you if you want to include the .map file or not)

also, you must include the .min file. It is generated in your "main/maps/dm" folder the first time you launch the map.
    I don't know what exactly it does (looks like precache stuff), but it prevent your game from crashing the first time you launch the map.
    Last edited by Zappa; January 27th, 2019 at 09:58 PM.

Yeah, just took a look. Good map, especially for only a second one . I like the detailing you've done in the interiors and the time you spent making it feel natural.

Mapping notes:

You've used patch meshes as terrain instead of LoD terrain - this is fine, and I do the same in places, but be careful as they don't approximate collision well and sometimes you can fall through them. If you get problems just add grass clip brushes underneath for grass and rock clips for rocks etc. Plenty of examples in the official maps.

I notice you used different grid settings when making different parts of your walls, and mostly grid 1 or 2. This will make it markedly more difficult when it comes to sealing them together, and more cumbersome when it comes to shaping and sizing. The lowest I usually go when it comes to boundaries and main walls is grid size 4, and keeping this consistent will make it MUCH easier in the longer run. Trust me. Grid size 1 is a generally a no-no, unless you're detailing walls with posters etc...

Like Zappa said, you've enclosed the entire map in a cube sky box, which will up the VIS data considerably. This is only reserved for very open maps, and even then it's good to fit the skybox snugly around your interior/exterior geometry (see Southern France map). I notice without this, you had several leaks (in part due to your grid size disparities) which was one of the reasons your entire map was rendering.

You also had many of your cliff faces, stairs, cave walls and any other brushes that you carved as structural, which can also send your VIS data through the roof. Your VIS data size was over 400,000, and failing to compile when not flagged as '-fast'. So I guess you weren't compiling VIS without it. This will also affect what is rendered where because it won't calculate as good as it could be without the flag.

As you supplied the .bak, I took a look and managed to half your VIS data by making cliff faces, stairs etc detail and plugging any gaps with caulk, but this is still way too much for a map this size.

I then removed your large skybox and fixed up any leaks (using pointfile), and made two smaller sky boxes for the open areas. Again, this would be much easier if your grid size was at 4 or 8 when making all your walls etc, as there were many gaps.

Also, your cave was made entirely detail and a simple caulk boundary was added around it to simulate solid space. Again, I did this as a lot of that brushwork was carved up and made up of more complex shapes, which the compile won't like.

This all brought your VIS data down to just over 22,000. So from 450,000 to 22,000 just by making these simple changes. You can now compile at full calculations (setting '-final' flag on light stage and removing the '-fast' from VIS and BSP stages) and it took me a few seconds.

This made the culling much better. In some locations you can see more than you should (especially areas close to your holes in the cliff faces), because there's not much blocking the line of sight. This can be improved with something called manvis, but it may be fine. It may also be worth using areaportals on your doors (just an area portal brush inside your door touching all 4 strutural sides) much like the hint brushes. Look at how they're done in the official maps. They require that the rooms behind them are sealed appropriately. Just check how the FPS is for players when it's being played.

Another note, in the artillery room you had nodraw surface underneath it. nodraw won't work with structural brushes so I made this caulk in my edit. Nodraw is used for details, foliage, transparent textures etc...

I used the .bak file as it was included, but don't worry I'm not going to distribute it anywhere and I'll send you the copy I changed in a PM . I don't know how up to date this .bak file is, but it looked complete on inspection, but would be good for you to check that over if you want to use the version I edited. But by all means do what you want, I did this for educational purposes because seeing it firsthand is much easier than only having an explanation in writing.

Edit:

If you find sometimes that brushes don't fit together perfectly if you've clipped them, rotated them or whatever, it may be worth fitting them to the grid with ctrl-g. This should snap their verts to the grid.

You may see in my edit that caulk overlaps with some floors or walls - don't worry about this as it won't be seen or noticed by players. Unless of course it protrudes into the playable space. I tried not to do this.

Detailing notes:

Use coronas on your light bulbs, it adds so much more depth and realism to maps .

Here is a comparison of the same location with the edits mentioned above:

Notice how everything up the stairs isn't being rendered anymore.
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; January 28th, 2019 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will likely work on more of the changes when I return home at the end of the week from college so I can use the editor on my desktop opposed to my surface pro.

On your post Smithy just a few questions...

For one, thanks for sending me the edited .map version. It really gave me a better picture of a few brushes I was unsure of for being detail vs structural.

With the tunnel, how did you get all the little edges of the walls to connect perfectly? You mentioned something by the name of Point-file, which I haven't heard of. Is this part of Radiant or a different tool?

Also I was wondering what you changed with the mesh ground as it now appears in red (Radiant).

I'll look at trying to reincorporate more of these fixes you did on my own when I return home and get on the desktop (which may lead to more questions lol)

Anyway, Thanks again to you and the others for taking the time to look at the map
    - <T|F|B> The Shadow (Will)

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    With the tunnel, how did you get all the little edges of the walls to connect perfectly?
    Do you mean the caulk brushes I built around the cave? I didn't do anything special, I just used grid 4 and built them tightly around one another.

You mentioned something by the name of Point-file, which I haven't heard of. Is this part of Radiant or a different tool?
    Sure, if you have a leak in your map, by which I mean when your map is exposed to the void, and you compile, it will tell you it has leaked and generate a pointfile in your map directory (with the .lin extension). In Radiant if you go to File > Pointfile... it will read from this file and draw a red line to where the leak originated from. Follow the line until you find it. Sometimes it may be difficult to spot but just keep going until you do, then seal it up. You may have to repeat this process several times if you have several leaks.

Also I was wondering what you changed with the mesh ground as it now appears in red (Radiant).
    I don't think I changed anything with the patches. Are all of them coloured red? Do you mean it's red in the 2D view?
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; January 28th, 2019 at 03:18 PM.

Yeah, in the past it was just black. This is what it looks like now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkRez-Qci5HZizUI4HHInjqkKEkN

I don't think its an issue as I haven't noticed anything different about it yet just wonder what caused the change

Could just be Radiant colour settings. Go to Misc > Colors > Patch Brush and check if it's set to red.

Thank you to everyone who tested my map and provided me with feedback! Especially 1337Smithy for his help reducing the vis size and fixing numerous issues. Here is the final version of the map...

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...BEA9963EF23E26

I will upload it to the AAAA database after the site downloads work again, and the map will always be available on my clan's homepage www.tfb-clan.jigsy.com

- Will

No problem, glad I could help!