Thread: Please provide source code

Default Please provide source code

Hello,

Could you please release the source code of xNull patch ? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.
    It's a matter of trust really, for any tech-savvy newcomer, to run a .exe from a seemingly random website.

And other past and future projects while you're at it, please

On a side note, I've taken the initiative to contact Gog.com about this (so that the Gog version would be patched by default), and they said they'll look into it.

Thank you.

That will never happend.

Why you whant the patch source code? You have some problem running the patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Baronsed View Post
    Hello,

Could you please release the source code of xNull patch ? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.
    It's a matter of trust really, for any tech-savvy newcomer, to run a .exe from a seemingly random website.

And other past and future projects while you're at it, please

On a side note, I've taken the initiative to contact Gog.com about this (so that the Gog version would be patched by default), and they said they'll look into it.

Thank you.
    That'd be all the other devs here wet dream, including me.
    Unfortunately, reborn has some critical server security functions. When their code released, attackers job will be 10 times easier to crash/abuse a server.
    I'd wait for openmohaa if you're really paranoid.
    But hey, no need to distrust reborn, most antivirus companies have a manual submission request form/email. You could ask them to check it. They basically reverse engineer the hell out of the binary and decide whether it's scary or not.

Well we talked about that, but there are a few reasons why we didn't do it.
    1. Even though it's serverside, if everyone saw how we went about securing the server from cheats, there are possibilities to circumvent them.
    2. The code is OLD. When we first started this project we were on visual studio 6. Ley0k and razor have made updates to the code and I believe it can now be loaded in a more modern version of visual studio, but I believe there is still a lot of cleanup that needs to be done to it so that it can easily be followed.

Razor is still working on cleaning up the code, but from the sound of it, we might even consider redoing it entirely if\when ryback finishes openmohaa. It would be a much cleaner approach as opposed to all the custom reverse engineering we did in reborn because all the offsets are hard coded. If we can implement it in open mohaa, then we wouldn't have a mess of a bunch of custom reversed functions and static offsets all over the place.

Our code is safe, and I can promise you that, but AV's these days are being more and more sensitive to stuff now. Even my AV flags my computer when I stream music from spotify.

Ouch. Quite a trust issue. But given the video game context, I understand.
    I play another FPS where there are mountains of cheaters, use what you can against them.

But I'm mostly interested in the client side.

Is it possible to connect to master server by just replacing strings "master.gamespy.com" by "master.x-null.net" in the binary (using proper binary transform program ofc) ?
    Is it enough to connect to a patched server & play like the other players ?

I'd be content with just the client side source if that is the case.

With this patcher you can change the masterserver to the new one:

Patcher

Well in a world where there are so many cheaters and such a huge focus on security; are you really surprised why people don't want to release the source code? I'm not. However to answer your other question, you can use the patcher above and it will let you use your files without any additional changes. It just patches the strings.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

There isn't any client-side patch released at all, and as long as the patch is only server-side normal players don't need anything to play on servers running Reborn patch.
    Replacing master server is only to make it possible for:

a) Server admins to register their servers to public online server list
    b) Players to still have working in-game server browser

And yes, it's enough to replace strings using Hex Editor so if you don't trust the patcher, or ready binaries, you can patch the exe yourself, or setup your hosts file to redirect connections to our masterserver.

Thanks ! It works indeed. I used Ghex for the record.

Updated my request to Gog.com. Will keep you up to date.