Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .SCR file association fix for Windows 10

Post .SCR file association fix for Windows 10

.SCR file association fix for Windows 10

.scr files are Screensaver files in Windows, and as you may know, they are protected and impossible to associate them to a text editor from the "Default Apps" menu.
    So here is an easy way to fix that.

First, you need to associate .cfg files with the text editor you want to use. In my case i use Sublime Text.
    Right click on any .cfg file -> Open with -> and select the editor you want as the default app.

Then, to associate .scr files with the text editor, open the Command Prompt as Administrator and type in:
    assoc .scr=cfg_auto_file

This will make windows detect .scr files as if they were .cfg files, so you can just double-click them to open.

To revert back to defaults, type:
    assoc .scr=scrfile

Cool tya but what would happen to real sreensavers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Order View Post
    They'd be opened with text editors
    Also zappa, I'd use the existing gui options to change association instead of some cmd lines
    Last edited by RyBack; January 2nd, 2019 at 12:13 PM.

As i said in the post, .scr files are locked by windows 10, you can't change the association from the Default Apps menu like in windows 7.

I came to this solution after googling about scr files and windows 10.
    this is the solution AutoCAD users use to open AutoCAD script files, which they also happen to be .scr files.
    is the same as editing the Registry Editor but in a "safer way" from the command prompt.

you can google about that and you will realize this is the best and easier solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Order View Post
    nothing, you can still use screensavers normally from the screensavers menu, unless you double-click on them

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
    As i said in the post, .scr files are locked by windows 10, you can't change the association from the Default Apps menu like in windows 7.

I came to this solution after googling about scr files and windows 10.
    this is the solution AutoCAD users use to open AutoCAD script files, which they also happen to be .scr files.
    is the same as editing the Registry Editor but in a "safer way" from the command prompt.

you can google about that and you will realize this is the best and easier solution.
    I totally agree with you. However I don't remember having to do all that with npp.
    Npp has the file association option in settings, kinda saves the effort. That's probably why I haven't encountered this issue.
    Would a right click + open with work?

Quote Originally Posted by RyBack View Post
    Would a right click + open with work?
    right click + open with works with any files, so yes. but is slower than just a double-click or select + enter

and i just found that Notepad++ also edit the Registry keys as "Notepad++_file". you can see it here .cfg Extension - List of programs that can open .cfg files

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
    right click + open with works with any files, so yes. but is slower than just a double-click or select + enter

and i just found that Notepad++ also edit the Registry keys as "Notepad++_file". you can see it here .cfg Extension - List of programs that can open .cfg files
    Oh yes now I remember , there's an option inside the "open with" menu to let u decide to use the selected app always for the specific file association. It was, however, a bit slower(in respect to program launch time) than doing the registry/cmd/npp internal options trick.
    Last edited by RyBack; January 4th, 2019 at 06:17 PM.

Thank you so much for this !
    I was searching exactly for this solution in my Win 7 !
    Works perfect.

-The Fox

Thank you, this helped me!