Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banning Cheaters On Public Servers

Default Banning Cheaters On Public Servers

On many public servers cheaters get banned by admins but they come back with a different name or different IP. Some admins resort to banning related IP Address ranges but occasionally this blocks clean players as well and is not an effective solution in presence of proxies anyways. I know that sometimes even clean players use aimbots on a server when there are no admins around just to piss people off. As such there is no effective mechanism to circumvent this dilemma (MOHAA history is the witness).

Now you guys might have already thought about it and may have dumped it as being not possible but still I would like to hear specially from James / Razo about:

1. To add a string (some function) in MOHAA.exe which sends BIOS ID (or Motherboard ID) to the MOHAA_SERVER.exe. (We know that there are already some variants of MOHAA.exe like the one with which we can record demos)

2. To tweak MOHAA_SERVER.exe (Reborn patch) in a way that it only allows connections from that MOHAA.exe and upon failures sends a message to download MOHAA.exe from let's say foo.com

3. Admins should be able to ban based on that unique BIOS ID so that even IP change will keep cheaters banned. This way only server Admins would need to have updated reborn patch and pretty soon cheaters will be rooted out.

Is it possible?

but isn't that meaning if the cheater change mohaa.exe he can join it again ?
    if yes that's meaning it's too easy to skip this ban and we will begin from zero point again .
    if no that's will be great solution
    Greetings :-{[T_P]}- BeroO -{[CF]}-
    the-pharaohs.enjin.com

Why are you trying to describe an ANTICHEAT ?

Yes, it would be good to hear about start of extending banning system, because it's becoming pain in the *** to keep servers clean. IP based only ban isn't ban anymore, it's basically kick which will last anywhere from 5 minutes to two days.

but isn't that meaning if the cheater change mohaa.exe he can join it again ?
    No, ban is based upon IP and Motherboard ID in that case. In that scenario launching indian tutorial on youtube on how to install and use VPN isn't enough, but it's basically Anticheat like Ryback said, it would have to be in form of external program. I only wish that some good and loving people guy would extend AlphaMAC more in free time, someone like RyBack, it would be great, and if that would be possible to create new cvar which allows only AM users to join server. *tries to convince RyBack to do it, really, really hard*
    Last edited by Criminal; December 12th, 2018 at 01:38 AM.
    Github - Steam - .Crimewavez#5285

sandman asked for it ages ago and I'm still working on it :v
    it's like the only thing that's easy in the anticheat

You can still change your BIOS Serial number

@Appelpitje : Yes it can be done but would you be willing to use a cheat on Public server, get banned, change your BIOS serial and join again. Just to cheat ? Its definitely not an easy feat. Secondly its not necessary that BIOS is used as a base line. Any other unique identity can be thought of. And for sure if its doable, it should not be discussed in public.

@Beroo: Files authenticity can be ensured by hashing.

1. To get info like that I believe would require driver hooking ring0. I believe it could potentially cause more trouble down the road with regards to blue screens and incompatibility and such. It might be possible to do it in another way, but even then nothing is "truly" secure. For example I've heard of apps that can spoof your hardware.

2. When Razor and I were initially working on the patch we were looking at doing this, however it would require both a clientside and serverside patching. Stand alone serverside patch isn't enough. I believe the latest code that Razor was working on has a client included and with that it has version control; so it would do exactly what you're suggesting. The only thing is, if you update your client, and the internal version of your client is now displayed as 1.12; if a server you're trying to connect hasn't been upgraded yet and is still 1.11, it would fail and block the upgraded client from joining the server.

I believe if you upgraded your client & server, we could make it backwards compatible (upon server admin request) for users that haven't upgraded their clients yet, however if a client has upgraded, but a server is on 1.11 then I don't think the client would be able to join that server.

3. As mentioned in #1, it's possible, but still I think could be bypassed. I'm a firm believer of giving people second chances+... Some people are always a cheater, but some of us have played both sides of the game, and as long as those players that follow the rules of the server, then I don't think they should be globally banned.

EDIT:
    I wrote my response above before reading everyone's responses. I agree with Appel. And to answer the question... There are a lot of "immature" kids these days that will go out of their way to do anything they can to bypass something and try to go in. So the answer to this question "Yes it can be done but would you be willing to use a cheat on Public server, get banned, change your BIOS serial and join again. Just to cheat ?" sadly, in my opinion is yes.

@James

Ok so I can only hope that Razo will be able to release the new patch (including client) asap.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

The client-side version of the patch included HW ban abilities. It's bypassable, but gives more solid banning utility in the days of dynamic IP ranges. Anyway, I believe that the best thing would be account/CD-Key ban, that would cost you something.