Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosetta Stone idea

Default Rosetta Stone idea

So what if each client sets a cvar advertising what their preferred language is. The reborn patch hooks the mohaa dll and intercepts chat processing (I assume this is done already in some way, for the bad word filter).

Any time a client uses the T or Y commands to chat, the source language is passed to the (free) google translate service realtime, one for each *different* language set for each active players playerslot. Output is sent to the target in the translated text/language. Anything each user types goes through the same process.

Yes, I know that google offers this (undocumented) for free, and has an upgraded pay service that probably costs plenty. But many sites and services are using the free google "api", as have I, and the results are blindingly fast and certainly accurate enough for gameplay.

https://ctrlq.org/code/19909-google-translate-api

Note that the call to translation only occurs once per language *that is different from everyone else* on the server. Generally a majority of the players on a given server are one language or mostly one. I do believe the overhead is very low and the response virtually instantaneous, especially given that it's just for chat. Have a flag that if the call to translate fails for any reason (timeout, change in api, etc.) it stops translating until map change.

Would it not be cool (and help keep the game alive) if mohaa players in different countries could chat in-game?

Just a random thought....

T

That is a cool idea. Never thought of that, but seems possible I would think. I'm assuming this would have to be client <--> server side?

Mohaa doesn't support rendering every language.

Quote Originally Posted by RyBack View Post
    Mohaa doesn't support rendering every language.
    No it doesn’t, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do it for many/most languages.

For those that don’t render, there seems to be ascii based equivalents that I have seen Egyptians using on my server occasionally. To my eye it looks like just letters and numbers, but it definitely translates for them. And if you paste these into google translate it does show Arabic? Glyphs. I suspect that Mohaa not rendering other character sets is thus not a problem.
    Last edited by Todesengel; July 25th, 2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: darn autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That is a cool idea. Never thought of that, but seems possible I would think. I'm assuming this would have to be client <--> server side?
    I do think this would be easiest (and possible to be done) server side only. If the server can see the lang var on the client then great, otherwise it could even be done via a variety of kludges (set first character of nickname to a single letter language code, etc.). OR... the google api actually offers an "auto", where it attempts to figure out what the source language is. I've never seen it guess wrong, but who knows.

If for some reason its determined to be best to offload translation calls to the client.... just have the reborn client patch do it, no server changes needed.

And net traffic could even be further reduced if you implement a limited (tunable max values and deletes for unused after x minutes or hours) mem res cache, maybe even pre-seeded with likely translations per language. I am sure that "good game", "nice shot", "how you doing" - would make a big chunk of traffic unnecessary.

https://github.com/matheuss/google-translate-api

And somewhere.... I have seen one page with examples of calling the api in like 10 or more programming faiths....

T
    Last edited by Todesengel; July 25th, 2018 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    No it doesn’t, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do it for many/most languages.

For those that don’t render, there seems to be ascii based equivalents that I have seen Egyptians using on my server occasionally. To my eye it looks like just letters and numbers, but it definitely translates for them. And if you paste these into google translate it does show Arabic? Glyphs. I suspect that Mohaa not rendering other character sets is thus not a problem.
    we are talking Hieroglyphs language the Google Don't support our language dude if u aren't an egyption u willnot know what we are saying hahahahahah this is secret Langugae
    it willnot good idea for our egyption players cuz Google T willnot work with us but it still good idea for Foreigners
    Last edited by beroo; July 25th, 2018 at 10:07 PM.
    Greetings :-{[T_P]}- BeroO -{[CF]}-
    the-pharaohs.enjin.com

I do think this would be easiest (and possible to be done) server side only. If the server can see the lang var on the client then great, otherwise it could even be done via a variety of kludges (set first character of nickname to a single letter language code, etc.). OR... the google api actually offers an "auto", where it attempts to figure out what the source language is. I've never seen it guess wrong, but who knows.

If for some reason its determined to be best to offload translation calls to the client.... just have the reborn client patch do it, no server changes needed.

And net traffic could even be further reduced if you implement a limited (tunable max values and deletes for unused after x minutes or hours) mem res cache, maybe even pre-seeded with likely translations per language. I am sure that "good game", "nice shot", "how you doing" - would make a big chunk of traffic unnecessary.

https://github.com/matheuss/google-translate-api

And somewhere.... I have seen one page with examples of calling the api in like 10 or more programming faiths....

T
    well yeah google does that, It's gonna be hard translating from native approach to real language.
    Also google translate really sucks in Arabic. each country has it's own dialect/accent of Arabic. google just sticks to the original version that's used in formal/professional stuff.
    That's why non-arabs people prefer to learn dialects instead of the real Arabic.

I have used many of the languages in google translate - while talking late night with gamers in lots of different countries (separate laptop next to the game). Both sides understood eachother very well. Works like a champ. It is definitely not hard to translate from native to 'real language'. Other languages have dialects too, I learned silver latin which is what was commonly used for official documents. It was different from 'street latin', but very recognizable by most speaking any dialect (and vice versa). It's a game, the vocabulary is fairly small anyways.

If you don't think arabic will work, then fine we can leave arabic out. But for many people using many different languages, this would be most helpful.

I agree. I think with anything there will always be something that might be lacking, but if it's a feature that provides more positive than negative results, then I think it's a feature that could be useful. I still we need to focus on getting the current patch stable. I know Razor was still troubleshooting some things; but once the "meat" of the patch is stable and the big features are out of the way, I def see this as a potential idea that could be helpful.

I have used many of the languages in google translate - while talking late night with gamers in lots of different countries (separate laptop next to the game). Both sides understood eachother very well. Works like a champ. It is definitely not hard to translate from native to 'real language'. Other languages have dialects too, I learned silver latin which is what was commonly used for official documents. It was different from 'street latin', but very recognizable by most speaking any dialect (and vice versa). It's a game, the vocabulary is fairly small anyways.

If you don't think arabic will work, then fine we can leave arabic out. But for many people using many different languages, this would be most helpful.
    It'll work but it'll suck,
    I'll help in it once you start.