Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rosetta Stone idea

Banned

Really isnt worth the effort and load on the server. It really will suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgan View Post
    Really isnt worth the effort and load on the server. It really will suck.
    No load at all, it could be done async.
    But yeah efforts.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

It's still load that has to be processed. If anything - it should be done client-side.

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

Good idea. I thought of something similar but I though that even the slightest delay between translating the chat would be enough for players to hate it so i gave up on the thought.

Also as an FYI, google translate is not the fastest or most accurate translator out there. In one of my 3rd year projects, we have to compare multiple online translators between eachother, using multiple languages to see which languages each translator worked best for.

And Yandex out-did Google on like 90% of the languages and was much faster. and bing was wayyyyyy down the list.

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive

I'd think that if a test bed is built, we could verify the response times involved. If I paste english text into google translate it seems to always come back in less than 1/2 second. I'm not married to google, so whatever service works best. How long ago was your evaluation?

I'm curious why peeps think client-side would be better. Logically I can see that, but it seems to me that the server is generally the box with the "phat pipes", and the box with the most cpu/memory. Lots of people play mohaa on pretty old hardware. And if the response time is critical, I'd think a server in a datacenter is far more likely to be better connected net-topology-wise. What am I missing?

As far as load on the server... some folks will have super beefy servers, others will not. So put it in and have a flag at the server to turn it off or on, let those that want to dedicate resources use it. In addition, each client could set a cvar that turns it on or off for them. I'd envision also being able to put a character at the beginning of a typed chat line that says "do not translate this line, send as is" for special cases.

It seems odd to me to not put in a feature because it doesn't target the lowest common denominator. Let the user decide - if they want to allocate the resources to it. But then, I'm fully aware there are folks far more in the know than I about this!