So what if each client sets a cvar advertising what their preferred language is. The reborn patch hooks the mohaa dll and intercepts chat processing (I assume this is done already in some way, for the bad word filter).

Any time a client uses the T or Y commands to chat, the source language is passed to the (free) google translate service realtime, one for each *different* language set for each active players playerslot. Output is sent to the target in the translated text/language. Anything each user types goes through the same process.

Yes, I know that google offers this (undocumented) for free, and has an upgraded pay service that probably costs plenty. But many sites and services are using the free google "api", as have I, and the results are blindingly fast and certainly accurate enough for gameplay.

https://ctrlq.org/code/19909-google-translate-api

Note that the call to translation only occurs once per language *that is different from everyone else* on the server. Generally a majority of the players on a given server are one language or mostly one. I do believe the overhead is very low and the response virtually instantaneous, especially given that it's just for chat. Have a flag that if the call to translate fails for any reason (timeout, change in api, etc.) it stops translating until map change.

Would it not be cool (and help keep the game alive) if mohaa players in different countries could chat in-game?

Just a random thought....

T