Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Decompiler in C# with source for MOHAA

Aha, there's always something lol. Thanks for the info, Ley0k.

Quote Originally Posted by Ley0k View Post
    the only problem is that Radiant won't be able to draw a bounding box with a custom classname, because the size of the bounding box resides in the QUAKED data
    That is not a problem, because static models are not solid anyway, at least this is how it is in other games (using this modified version of the engine), so it would be strange if it would be different here.

Also (static) models are clipped with brushes if they need to have accurate collision.
    Collision with boundingbox is usually reserved for entities like items, actors, players and triggers.

Even the collision for a hit on a actor model is handled separate from the boundingbox (in singleplayer).

So I am absolutely sure that the boundingbox does not matter at all in this case.

How ever, the classname could be reconstructed for the tikis by the model name.
    A little program or script should be able to extract the names (classes) for each model tiki directly.

Collision isn't an issue, because the collision map that comes with most static models seems to be included as part of the compile process as it is. Personally I was thinking about how hard it is to manipulate in the editor without a bounding box, unless there is a default if it can't find the QUAKED data? I suppose a random one can be made up for all.
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; July 18th, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Smithy View Post
    I was thinking about how hard it is to manipulate in the editor without a bounding box
    The bounding box is loaded from the tiki in the editor, at least this is how the überradiant does it, I would be surprised
    if it would be different for mohaa, because the QUAKED commentary part is just for the level editor, every other data is outside the commentary.
    Last edited by chrissstrahl; July 18th, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

Well, the QUAKED part of the tiki is what specifies the bounding box inside the editor, which is why I said about manipulating inside the editor .

Well, the QUAKED part of the tiki is what specifies the bounding box inside the editor, which is why I said about manipulating inside the editor .
    But the quaked part is loaded from the given tiki not the classname.

So it could be named "static_merkelTrumpDesaster" but have any tiki that does not have that class. It would read the bbox from the tiki, the same way as it would if the classname would be the same for the model.
    So the information you need to retain is the tiki (model attribute).

Which is fine . I was just going on what Ley0k said, as it sounded like they needed to match. If it doesn't, then we'll be all good .

Edit: btw, I added some entities by editing the .map file in Notepad, e.g.:

// entity 275
    {
    "origin" "2542.60 -331.40 281.40"
    "testanim" "idle"
    "model" "static/tree_oak.tik"
    "scale" "0.90"
    "classname" "static_randomtreething"
    }

The classname resolves back to the right one when you load the map up in the editor.
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; July 19th, 2018 at 02:29 AM.

as it sounded like they needed to match
    Only within their parrent class (with tikis), which would be static in this case.
    It really matters if it comes down to triggers, script_object or fuc objects, because they don't
    have any other means of idendification as their classname, objects with the model
    attribute set correctly will load from the model tiki.

And also, many triggers have specific attributes/options (checkboxes) so the classname
    needs to be exact. While all static tikis are the same, just static and they all have
    the exact same attributes/options, so it doesn't matter at all.

The classname resolves back to the right one when you load the map up in the editor.
    Perfect, so it is settled.
    Last edited by chrissstrahl; July 19th, 2018 at 04:02 AM.

I find it kind of strange how a basic collision model is compiled into the map as brushes. But even the original Quake 3 maps have this. I can probably find and skip those brushes if necessary.

That's great, then I won't worry about it. I'll have to make those changes soon.

Awesome .