View Poll Results: 1.12 Patched Map Method?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Method 1: Serverside (limited)

7 41.18%
  • Method 2: Clientside (Not limited)

2 11.76%
  • Method 3: Other Method/Combined

8 47.06%

Thread: 1.12 Patched Map Method

Lightbulb 1.12 Patched Map Method

Being that I have been interested in this specific field of the patch, I have decided to create a poll in order to officially start the discussion.

There are two ways to approach the fixed stock maps for mohaa within the patch (stock maps v1.12).

METHOD 1. Serverside
    Serverside Only. (no client downloads required)
    There is a limited amount of modifications that you can add to a stock mohaa map that can be run serverside and used against the client. Obviously, you can 'script' the map. There is another method that isn't talked about at all and requires modifications of the actual .map file (the source map coding that compiles into the .bsp). This method is very limited, yet can be useful and is still unexplored.
    Further advantages of Method 1:
    • Serverside/Does not require client downloads

METHOD 2. Clientside
    Clientside. (client requires download)
    This method can include the above mentioned modifications (Method 1), yet there is no limits. This method would require a download for the client in order to connect to the server/map. Modifications to the stock maps are limitless.
    Further advantages of Method 2:
    • Clientside Fixes
    • Clientside additions/functions

vote.
    discuss.
    Last edited by electrickrypt; November 13th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
    "This bullet is... fOR YOUR CRANIUM!™""
    fYCcreationZ™

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

I voted for Combined. I think we should use serversided scripts where possible and the rest that can't be done serverside should be done clientside. It's because MoHAA doesn't check for maps integrity so even if you will fix it, players will be able to use old, nonfixed maps unless you use sv_pure which will also prevent from using other legit mods for other players.

I voted combined to.However i hope its possible that a player whitout a 1.12 Client is till able to connect and get an ingame message of the bennefits of the Client.(Good luck Razo ^^XD)

Greetz to all

Quote Originally Posted by Razo[R]apiD View Post
    MoHAA doesn't check for maps integrity so even if you will fix it, players will be able to use old, nonfixed maps unless you use sv_pure which will also prevent from using other legit mods for other players.
    Yes, I agree and I am aware of what you just explained.

You can modify the stock maps by adding certain brushes and then apply functions/parameters to these added brushes. Once you recompile the modified stock map and host it on the server, these added brushes with functions/parameters are server-side and can not be bypassed. Now when I said certain brushes, I meant the options are limited to invisible brushes (noclip, caulk, trigger, etc...). If you add a visual texture to the added brush and host the map on the server, the client will not be able to connect without downloading the modified bsp. Nor would you be able to texture a non-textured surface in the map and host serverside.

For instance, I was able to fix the shoot though windows/glass/models/lights bug by adding a 'noclip' brush into the window/glass/model/light and then applying the parameter/function of "x". It's been a while since I've worked on it so I forget the actual parameter/function. It was the parameter/function that doesn't allow bullets or grenades to penetrate. Anyways, it worked serverside without requiring client downloads.

Yes, players can also modify their stock maps and still connect to the server. Though, they can only modify the parameters/functions (stwh) and change the texture of brushes that are already there. If you were to add a brush and apply a parameter/function to it serverside (as mentioned above) the client can not modify that because it is not there for them clientside, only server side.

***EDIT***
    I just got done digging up some of my old projects. When I referred to adding 'parameters/functions' above... what I really did was add flags (which are pretty much parameters/functions) to added noclip brushes. The flags that I added were the following:

Surface Flags:
    No Damage
    No Impact
    No Draw
    Non Solid

Content Flags:
    Playerclip
    Monsterclip

Here are two examples of modified stock maps that can be compiled and hosted serverside if anyone is interested. Note the fixed glass lights in mohdm6 and the fixed windows in mohdm2.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by electrickrypt; November 13th, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
    "This bullet is... fOR YOUR CRANIUM!™""
    fYCcreationZ™

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

They have to use it without the patch or they won't notice a change because patch already fixes shooting thorugh black windows/light bulbs etc.

I would like to add, I think ALOT can actually be fixed serverside. Atleast more than we think. Visually, I agree it would require clientside modifications, but as discussed above, map parameters are applied serverside and clients can't do anything about it.

I would like to add though, a while back when I was playing with no brush via cheat cvars (r_drawstaticmodels 0) or whether you use the pk3 cheat, it didn't work in certain modified servers. Basically brush were still rendered. This is interesting, and I'm not sure how those brushes were spawned in the maps, but it stopped any nobrush cheats from working.
    Any ideas how this can be done & applied to our patch?

Another thing that may need to be looked at are no sunflare cheats.

Thanks

Combined. I dont have enough knowledge, but combined will be rather harder to hack.

I suggest serverside. Visuals are fine and have no priority over fixes. Any abuse/glitch can be fixed serverside, though one fix may be cleaner than the other, but it is possible.

EDIT: That reminds me. Me and Gold were working on a mod a couple of years ago, that should clean up the console.
    We fixed/cleaned up the dm_precache script, ambient sounds for stock maps (clientside & in LAN, already worked for servers),
    along with some broken models (such as the teaset.tik) and textures (mistakes between jpg & tga caused many errors).

Fixing the latter two made the mod clientside though, but if put on server, its console and qconsole logs will look cleaner.
    It's not finished. I was hoping to add vertex fixes to the models who need it (clientside) as well.

I think it also includes the original decal files for some stock multiplayer maps (if I can recall.. only the TDM maps). It'll enable the decals,
    the creators originally intended to put in but then decided not to. Ever wondered what happened to the tree's shadows on the loading picture of Algiers?
    Additionally, it unlocks the allied_pilot's RAF cap. Originally intended but omitted and left broken.

If it can be of any use: zzzzzzz_stock_aa_fixes_update.pk3

EDIT2: No sunflare, a cheat? I thought it was only possible serverside, by hexing the bsp, thus applying it to all players.
    Last edited by Sor; January 2nd, 2011 at 08:58 AM.

nope, it is a cheat and can be removed clientside via pk3, clienthook and memory editting.