Thread: Using Seismovision and Controlling Views in Demos

Question Using Seismovision and Controlling Views in Demos

I came earlier to ask if anyone was able to get MOHAA demos to play in Seismovision with Windows 7. Then I realized I was using the wrong option to tell Seismovision where MOHAA is installed. After I did that right, Seismovision played MOHAA demos. So I came back and edited my post to say never mind and sorry to bother you all about it even though no one saw what I wrote yet.

But now I am wondering again if anyone has used Seismovision to play MOHAA demos and got all of the controls to work. There are several of the controls that work for me, including increase playback speed, decrease playback speed, normal playback speed, freeze the picture, take screenshot, mute volume, restart demo, quit game. The controls I was interested in using Seismovision for are toggle 3rd-person mode, increase and decrease 3rd-person range, and pan 3rd-person view right and left, so I could have more cool views in the MOHAA replay videos I am trying to make.

If anyone has used Seismovision to play MOHAA demos, and they were able to make those view controls work, and you might be able to help me, please tell me about it. Or if you know that those view controls I mentioned won't work in MOHAA demos. Or if you know some other way besides using Seismovision to control the views in MOHAA demos.

Thank you for reading this.
    Last edited by Camerad; June 14th, 2018 at 01:39 AM.
    My PC specs are listed in the About Me part of my profile.

I'm so dumb. So this is a cheat thing, right? If I want to be able to view 3rd person at all, I have to learn how to enable cheats?

Is that possible with any of the installs of MOHAA that I have? I have the Revival version however it comes installed and I have MOHAA installed from my old store bought disks, one install patched with the official 1.11 patch and the MOHAA.exe file replaced with the one from Shadow's MOHAA Guide Appendices #13 that allows demo recording to work, and the other install from my disks is unpatched, which I see allows me to look at the 3rd person view, but the MOHAA.exe file in that doesn't allow demos to work, and the game doesn't work at all (on my computer) if I try to use the MOHAA.exe file that allows demos to work in the unpatched install. And that Seismovision thing says it is compatible with MOHAA v1.11, so I guess I need to learn how to allow cheating with the regular 1.11 officially patched version maybe.

I don't know how that sounds, "I need to learn how to cheat," but I haven't even played games online for like ten years, and I wasn't ever a cheater. I'm just trying to make some cool looking replay videos of me playing with jv_bots in obj maps. One PC hosts the game and does the free spectator view thing to record from with Fraps, and I was hoping to also be able to get some recordings of camera views provided by recording demos on the other computer that I use to play in the game with the bots. If all that made any sense.

Actually I only have two installs. I didn't understand what easymeat told me about how to install MOHAA in two places, and I was too embarrassed to say so. But the Revival installs by default in a different place from the disk version I have, so that made it possible for even me to have two installs. And the multiple installs I have from my disks are actually one install with the MOHAA folder in Program Files (x86) copied before it was patched with the official patch and some other copied MOHAA folder of the game patched being used as an experimental areas. I've just been renaming the MOHAA folders in the Program Files (x86) folder depending on which one I am working with.

If it's possible for me to enable cheats in my 1.11 official patched version of the game that works with Seismovision, please let me know. I would like to see if I could then have the 3rd person views while running demos in Seismovision.

Thanks again for reading this.

[Edit]

Was that was a bad idea to swap renamed MOHAA installation folders if one was the unpatched version of the game and one was patched to 1.11, I mean like because of whatever is in the Windows registry? I hope that didn't mess up anything. It doesn't seem to have done so. I reckon the unpatched version is no good to me anyway since Seismovision works with the patched version of MOHAA. So I just really need to learn how to enable cheats with the 1.11 version of the game if that is possible.
    Last edited by Camerad; June 14th, 2018 at 06:36 AM.

I found some instructions to enable cheats in multiplayer, so I am able to make more camera views now. I hope you all have a nice weekend.

never heard about Seismovision before.

i remember you could play a demo with cheats enabled with the MOHAA.exe provided by MOHAAC.
    but i dunno where to get that .exe anymore since MOHAAC is dead
    maybe the guys from the AAAA database have that version?

That's good to know there is program can play demo
    Greetings :-{[T_P]}- BeroO -{[CF]}-
    the-pharaohs.enjin.com

Hello. Thank you for the replies.

Seismovision development and support ended years ago, but you can still download it and purchase the license that enables the full version features/functionality/whatever. I see in videos made using Seismovision in other games that the 3rd person view controls work in other games, just not in MOHAA, I guess.

I was able to enable cheats in multiplayer while using the v1.11 version installed from disks and the MOHAA.exe in Shadow's MOHAA Guide Appendices #13 that allows demo recording to work, but so far for reasons beyond my understanding I have been unable to make Seismovision play a demo made in that state even though it does play the same demos without the cheats enabled, except without the 3rd person view controls functioning. I reckon I could use the Revival version of MOHAA if I'm not going to be using Seismovision. Seismovision wouldn't play demos recorded in MOHAA Revival for me.

It's okay though, because even if I was sloppy about all this, I can still play demos in MOHAA and use the console commands that pertain to 3rd person views in the same way Seismovision controls were meant to do and do in other Quake engine games. The difference is that instead of being able to press one key on the keyboard in Seismovision, for example to toggle 3rd person view or change the camera position in its orbit of the player model, I will need to open the console and type in all that stuff each time. That's because--for me anyway--key binds work while playing and recording, which is nicer than needing to type g_synchronousclients, record, stoprecord, etc. over and over, but when I press keys with binds during demo playback, it brings up the multiplayer menu thingo instead of performing the command. But it's okay. I can use my programmable joystick to type tilde, console command, enter, and tilde again in an instant with one joystick button press and have the same views that are made more conveniently available in Seismovision.

I have seen those no-HUD action replay videos with cinematic views and story based machinima videos made using games such as ARMA and Company of Heroes. Those are visually spectacular, and the action is more realistic than in MOHAA. Such videos get a lot of views at YouTube, but I still wanted to make some not-so-spectacular, less realistic MOHAA action replays even if hardly anyone will watch them because I liked playing MOHAA for a long time, and there aren't many MOHAA cinematic no-HUD videos to watch on YouTube. It's mostly Let's Play videos. I hope YouTube will allow the MOHAA music to play in the videos to help provide the original in-game atmosphere.

Thank you again for the replies. I appreciate it. I hope the week ahead will be a good one for you all.
    Last edited by Camerad; June 16th, 2018 at 11:41 PM.

I've never heard of it either, then again, I'm no video creator (tried a little one once, with Sony Vegas Pro, which went okay enough.. but simply not my area haha).

I would love to see such a video though tbh.
    I'm glad you found Wombat's MOHAA.exe (w/ recording function) in my Guide
    You can also find pages dedicated to recording/demos and also how to disable HUD, avatars etc. in my Guide (if you didn't know how to do all of that already ofc!).

In case anyone wants it (as Zappa mentioned it) here's the mohaa.exe from MOHAAC:
    Attached Files Attached Files

If I finish some MOHAA videos, I will try to remember to mention it here in your message board forum. I hope I can get at least one view of a German soldier kicking a grenade back at me. That's pretty cool.

The MOHAA Guide is a wonderful resource. Thank you very much for that. And thank you for your posts when I asked about stuff at xNULL.