Thread: Can you disable the breathing camera motion or the screen shake when bombs detonate?

Question Can you disable the breathing camera motion or the screen shake when bombs detonate?

Hello. I'm not sure where to post this. Sorry if I did it wrong. I am trying to make some gameplay videos that include using jv_bots, objective maps, and the spectator view which are meant to look more like movies and less like "let's play" videos. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can stop the breathing motion and disable the screen shake that happens when a bomb detonates in objective maps for the purpose of making this kind of video replay. Thank you for reading this.
    My PC specs are listed in the About Me part of my profile.

You can try this for the shaking, look in PAK0.pk3 and open the "global" folder copy and paste the "obj_dm.scr" to desk top and find "thread jitter_large 0 " should be line 188 and add "// " in front of it that will stop it from exec'ing the global/earthquake.scr.
    Code:
    //***********************************************
    // fourth thread... controls the explosion 
    //***********************************************
    bomb_explode:
    	self.trigger_name remove

thread jitter_large 0 //( COMMENT OUT "//" THIS PART )

//******************************
    // jitter large effect
    // jitter_large [delay]
    //******************************
    jitter_large local.time:
    	if (local.time)
    		wait local.time

waitexec global/earthquake.scr .35 10 0 0
    	waitexec global/earthquake.scr .23 6 0 0
    	waitexec global/earthquake.scr 1 1 0 0
    	waitexec global/earthquake.scr 1.25 .3 0 1
    end
    make a pk3 file with a "global" folder and put the new obj_dm.scr in it,name it zzzzzzzzz_shaker.pk3 or something just be sure to add the " zzzzzzz" to it put new pk3 in main folder, that should remove the shaking.

Hello. Thank you for trying to help me.

I opened the Pak0 thingo with WinRAR, highlighted the obj_dm.scr file in the global folder, and clicked Extract to. Then I changed the three letters after the period to txt, opened it in notepad, added those two slanted lines at the beginning of that line of text you said to add them to, saved it, changed the letters after the period back to scr, right clicked on the global folder it was in (outside of the Pak0 thingo), selected Add to archive in WinRAR, selected zip and store for archive type and compression level, renamed the global.zip archive to zzzzzzzzz_shaker.pk3, and put it in the Main folder in MOHAA where it is the last thing listed (most z letters).

Do you think that should have made a functional pk3 thing? Because it didn't make the screen/camera not shake when the bombs detonate in objective maps. Does putting those two slanted lines at the front of that line of text in the obj_dm.scr file make the screen not shake in your game? I don't why I can't make the same stuff you guys do work for me. I actually felt sort of excited when I read your post, thinking I might be able to disable that screen shake effect in my replay videos.

Thanks again for trying to help me with that. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

did you save as a .scr file or just renamed it? also check the map script too, obj_team1.scr also has that line in it so you need to look at obj map scripts.

I had only renamed files. Now I see what you mean though. Thank you. And it helped me understand after reading what James wrote about selecting Save As and All Files in notepad.

I can't really tell what I would need to do in the .scr files in the Obj folder in the Maps folder in the user-made map pk3 things. It's too complicated for me in there. I don't see places where it also says "thread jitter_Large." Stuff kind of looks different from map to map too.

But in the jv_bot01.pk3 thing, I went to the jv_obj_dm.scr (where I also didn't see "thread jitter_Large" even though I may have looked right at it) and changed all the values to 0 in the four lines you mentioned in your first post to this topic that say "waitexec global/earthquake.scr". Now that's the only thing I have changed, and everything still seems to function the same as before I changed those values, except the screen doesn't shake anymore when bombs detonate. It looks so cool. Do you reckon it's permissible to change jv_map's mod in such a small way for the purpose of making videos without the screen shaking when bombs detonate?

If I could get the breathing up and down motion to stop too, that would help a lot because sometimes it would make things look better to delete some frames of the video during a spectator camera shot where the camera doesn't pan or anything. You know like if several seconds pass without another bot running by where deleting the time between would help or when two bots meet up in a doorway and a moment passes before they try to hit each other, or when a bot does a little dance before deciding which way to go--stuff like that. Some frames could be cut out. But with that breathing motion the picture jumps where frames have been deleted because the picture doesn't match up like it would without the breathing motion.

Thanks again for helping me.

I might have mentioned that when I referred to using the spectator view to make movie-like videos with bots, in the bot maps when there isn't any other player, Spectate lets you move the camera anywhere and aim it anywhere. If I switch to Spectate on one computer and then join with my other computer to have an actor with the bots, the spectator camera remains free instead of jumping on the player's back. But even though that lets me have a movie camera kind of, that breathing up and down motion is still there.

What about the console commands? I remember playing Jedi Outcast a long time ago, which used this same game engine, I think, and there was some command, like noclip maybe, that let you go wherever you want with the camera. Does anyone know of a console command I could use to let me do that in MOHAA so the breathing motion isn't there? Or any other kind of console command that would otherwise be considered for cheating that lets you look around freely after you die or something?

Thank you for reading this.
    Last edited by Camerad; May 25th, 2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Never messed with anything to do with bots, so can't help you with that. What are you using to record the movies?

Hello. I am using Fraps to record the gameplay. I have the less expensive version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio to edit the Fraps recordings and make the completed gameplay videos with.

I guess it may not be the best way to go about it, but I changed the pitch and yaw values to 0 in the iron sights mod that I use in MOHAA. That stopped the breathing motion effect both while playing in first-person view and in Spectator Mode view.

Hopefully it would not bother the mod authors that I changed the values in these two mods to 0 where I did to keep the camera from moving around. It's just so I can make these replay videos. Do you think they would be angry about it?

Do you think it would be better for the computer to install two versions/instances/whatever of MOHAA Revival, one with the iron sights mod so it shows the breathing motion effect for recording the first-person view bits with Fraps and a second install of MOHAA Revival that has the iron sights mod changed for no breathing motion effect to record the bits in Spectator Mode, or should I keep swapping the two different versions of the iron sights mod as I go to record first-person gameplay or Spectator Mode gameplay with Fraps?

It seems like it would be better for the computer to have two MOHAA Revival installs in which the game files aren't continually changed instead of one install in which I keep swapping in and out pk3 things. You know, like as far as it concerns stuff being written to and deleted from the computer's hard drive disk? If I installed two versions of MOHAA Revival, each with a different version of the iron sights mod, and then defragmented the hard drive, would that help make life easier on the hard drive disk reader when the game is being played if it didn't need to keep jumping around to wherever the iron sights pk3 thing was currently written to?

Would it be easy to install MOHAA Revival in a second location on my computer? Would my computer know how to distinguish one MOHAA Revival install from the other if I needed to uninstall one or the other? I haven't yet looked for a tutorial about installing the same game in two places on one computer. If I can't find instructions for doing that or understand them well enough, could I ask more about it here or should I go ask the people who made MOHAA Revival about it?

Thank you all for reading this. And thank you for the replies you made, easymeat.
    Last edited by Camerad; May 25th, 2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: to fix spelling and to make a sentence more comprehensible

Hopefully it would not bother the mod authors that I changed the values in these two mods to 0
    no the mod and this game is so old more than likely the person who made the mod don't even play anymore. As long as you don't try and take credit for the mod it don't matter.

Would it be easy to install MOHAA Revival in a second location on my computer?
    All you have to do is copy and paste the Mohaa folder to another place on your HDD and set it up as the server folder, run that as server with the mods then run the game from the first game folder.
    my lan server is where MOHAA Revival installed it to C:\Games\MOHAA\moh_spearhead_server.exe +exec server.cfg and I run the game from here "D:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\MOHAA\moh_spearhead.exe" +set ui_console 1 +set cl_playintro 0 I have 3 HDD's but all you need to do is copy and paste your Games folder to the " C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder.
    Also I think there is a breathe.scr in that mod, I don't remember I'll have to look and see if I still have it.

Thank you for taking time to post replies about the questions I have had recently, easymeat. I really appreciate you helping me.

I only recently found out what a system image is and purchased two external hard drives to use for backing up my two desktop computers that way. The hard drives have been delivered, so I need to figure out how to use this Macrium Reflect software. I feel so clueless, but I hope I can at least make things so I can easily set things back the way they were if something ever goes wrong or I get a ransomware attack or whatever--never even heard of a ransomware attack before. I had to learn to do an in-place upgrade (repair install) during April for one of the computers, and it was working very nicely again. I tried doing something with the registry regarding a MOHAA related post that you and others posted to, and then when I tried to use System Restore to set things back to just before my first attempt to edit the registry so I could try to do what James wrote next, it said it couldn't restore the computer because I effed up the registry. That's kind of funny, I guess. I'm so bad at working a computer. Oh, well. The computer still seems to be functioning pretty well, so maybe even with the registry messed up however it is now, I might still be able to use this Marcium Reflect thing to do an even better job of protecting my computers than System Restore can do eve when it may do what it is supposed to do.

I don't know why I just wrote all that. Oh, yeah, I remember now. I have to put this MOHAA replay video project on hold while I learn to do this system image thing. Then maybe I can make some nice MOHAA replay videos. I can't believe it's been four years since I first joined xNULL and was going to try to do that. I'm very thankful that the computers still seem to function well enough to try to do it, though, and for all the resources that are available to help make it possible for me to still try to do this.

Thank you all again for your part in making such resources available and for helping me and for being nice to me when I visit your message board forum.
    Last edited by Camerad; May 26th, 2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: I wrote X-Null instead of xNULL and sucky grammar.