Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't launch game with UAC on default setting in Windows 7

Question Can't launch game with UAC on default setting in Windows 7

Hello,
    I still use the CD version of this game from when it was originally released patched with 1.11 for US and UK. My operating system is Windows Ultimate 64-bit. I don't really know much at all about your patch and gaming community. I just play with jv_bots sometimes by myself with the same version of the game I have had since it was released and a few downloaded mods added, like for explosions, and bot maps.

The game works fine for me, but I have to switch the User Account Control setting in Windows to the lowest setting and restart the computer before each time I play MOHAA. Do you know if there is something one can do to make it possible to leave the UAC setting on default and play MOHAA?

If not, do you think it would help to purchase MOH War Chest from Good Old Games and use that instead? I guess that is a question for their customer support. I just thought I would ask here while I was already asking the other related question in case someone already uses the MOH product GoG sells.

Thank you for reading this.
    Last edited by Camerad; May 12th, 2018 at 06:30 AM.
    My PC specs are listed in the About Me part of my profile.

no need to buy the game you can get here http://mymohaa.tk/ free with all the patches included. Have you tried to change the Compatablity settings and run as administrator and edit the securty settings in the short cut security settings ?

Heya Camerad!

As easymeat suggested, it's best to download the MOHAA Revival edition from the link he posted. It's pre-patched also with fixes that occur in newer Windows versions (and newer graphic cards).
    There is basically no customer support for MOHAA, EA has no idea this game is still played and the people that still work for EA don't even know this game or have any idea how to fix anything (I'm not joking).

So any help you need, it's best to ask the community as you have done!

did u try to sett a custom resolution in your unnamedsoldier file?.

seta r_fullscreen "1"
    seta r_customwidth "1366"
    seta r_customheight "768"
    seta r_mode "-1"

change it to your resolution of your windows ofc

Are you an admin over your computer or just a standard user?
    There are a few things you can try.

1. I came across this script and this header allows me to run installs as admin on client machines that are standard users.
    copy the contents of this script and paste it into notepad and save the file as mohaa.bat. Then double click it to launch your game.

::==================================
    ::-- This will run as admin --
    @echo off

::Check for permissions
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

::If error flag set, we do not have admin.
    if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
    echo Requesting administrative privileges...
    goto UACPrompt
    ) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
    echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit /B

:gotAdmin
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
    pushd "%CD%"
    CD /D "%~dp0"

@echo off

::-- End of main ADMIN script --
    start "" "c:\program files x86\ea games\mohaa\mohaa.exe"

The line in red needs to be modified to point to wherever your mohaa.exe is

The other option is; if you ARE an admin over your system, try setting this registry key. You'll have to restart for it to work, but I believe this should suppress UAC for admins. As long as you're an admin, you should be fine.

cmd /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v FilterAdministratorToken /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Hope one of those help

Hello,
    Thank you all for taking time to make replies.

I'm the only user of this PC. My Windows user account is administrator.

In the properties for the shortcut to launch MOHAA, in the compatibility tab Windows XP SP3 is selected. Below that in the same tab the box is checked next to "Run this program as an administrator." In the security tab, everything has a check mark next to it except Special permissions. When I click the Advanced next to where it says "For special permissions or advanced settings click Advanced" and then click Change Permissions, and then click Edit in there, everything is checked under Allow and nothing is checked under Deny.

Those items/lines/whatever mentioned Slimbips {sfx} are in the unnamedsoldier.cfg file, except it says 1280 and 720, not 1366 and 768. Do I need to change those numbers to 1366 and 768 then?

I will try to install the version of MOH that you provided a hyperlink for. I hope that will eliminate the need to switch off the UAC. It would be nice if this also made it unnecessary to switch off the service associated with KB3086255 that prevents MOHAA and other old games from launching. Or maybe it's disc-based games. Maybe it's old, disc-based games. What do I know? Even reading about it didn't help me understand much.

Thank you again for the considerate replies and helpful informations. Thank you for helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimbips {sfx} View Post
    did u try to sett a custom resolution in your unnamedsoldier file?.

seta r_fullscreen "1"
    seta r_customwidth "1366"
    seta r_customheight "768"
    seta r_mode "-1"

change it to your resolution of your windows ofc
    I guess that last thing you wrote was an answer to something I asked in reply. If so, I didn't understand what you meant by ofc. Sorry about that.

@ James, thank you for approving my posts to be displayed. (Thanks again to others for helping me.) I tried doing the suggestions you offered, but I was unable to make them work to allow the disc (disk, whatever) version of the game to launch with the Windows UAC set to default. If you see this post, would you respond to say if it looks like I did the registry edit method thing correctly? (I will try to attach screenshots.) One reason I was interested in the solutions you offered over installing a version of MOHAA that will run as installed on Windows with the Windows UAC set to default (not sure I am saying that very well) is because I am not an avid gamer, and I mostly play very old games that I purchased on CD and DVD a long time ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot Command Prompt thing.jpg   screenshot Registry.jpg  

You shouldn't have to change the resolution. That shouldn't effect the UAC stuff for the game.

The script that I wrote above should work. I'm not sure why it doesn't. I know it works for me at work with stuff when I deploy apps.
    BTW, you shouldn't have to run the game in compatibility mode. MOHAA works fine in Win7.

You mentioned in the PM, you're not familiar with pc stuff.
    I'll walk you through this.
    1. copy this:

cmd /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v FilterAdministratorToken /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

2. paste it into notepad
    3. Save as
    4. The dropdown with "Save as type" make it All files
    5. Then name it mohaa.reg and save it on your desktop

You should see it on your desktop (or wherever you saved it)

6. double click the file.

7. Reboot your computer and now try launching MOHAA. It shouldn't prompt you anymore.

I keep not being able to do stuff that works for you guys. This still isn't working for me. But thank you for trying to help me. That was nice of you.

I don't actually get one of those usual UAC messages/notifications/whatever that you can click on to say run it anyway, or whatever, when I try to launch the MOHAA game installed from disks. It says "A referral was returned from the server," but at web pages where humans asked about that, other humans said it was the UAC setting preventing their program/application/whatever from launching, and when I switched the UAC setting to never notify, MOHAA always launched and when it was on default that same message popped up every time. (I'll try to show a screenshot of it.)

I don't know much (not anything really) about the implications associated with installing a game somewhere besides wherever it automatically gets installed to, and I don't know about installing more than one copy, or whatever, of a game at the same time, so I was kind of slow to try installing that Revival version of MOHAA that easymeat provided a link to with one version of MOHAA already installed. The MOHAA Revival install is working all right, and it's very convenient to use, so I'm doing okay in any case now where MOHAA is concerned.

Thank you all again for helping me get this sorted out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UAC message screenshot for MOHAA.jpg