Thread: dmprecacheX2?

Default dmprecacheX2?

I've noticed that in a completely stock (from US retail CDROM) install, all the map scripts *AND* the corresponding map precache scripts... call global/dmprecache.scr. So for example.... dm/mohdm1.scr calls dmprecache between prespawn and spawn... but dm/mohdm1_precache.scr also calls global/dmprecache.scr. Since the game engine automatically starts both scripts when a map starts... Is there a reason it's being called twice????

Part of the reason for this question is curiousity, but part of it is work I'm doing on some of the SP maps to clean up the conversion to MP. These maps don't call dmprecache (in stock) in either place, so if I understand the above I can determine which place (or both) to put that.

T

there is another place where dmprecache is being called too, can't remember where tho.
    maybe the devs wanted to move all dmprecache calls to map_precache files and forgot to remove the call from map.scr file ?

or maybe there are different models to be cached for every map so the wanted to separate it.

Just found out, it was my second guess,
    in spearhead maps call dmprecache in map.scr and in map_precache.scr call cache commands for map specific models.

It would seem logical to me that mapname_precache.scr would cache models specific to just that map, and global/dmprecache would be caching models used in all maps. But again... why call it in both places. It's definitely getting called twice for stock DM maps....

in spearhead it's not called in map_precache.
    guess mohaa devs were tight on time ?