Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spearhead 100% core load on Linux

Default Spearhead 100% core load on Linux

I think i mentioned this in the past, but back in the good old days around ~2006 i hosted a spearhead server on a centos VPS and the load was normal (like 0-20% CPU load max).
    Now when i try to host a SH server on a Linux machine (doesn't matter if its ubuntu, debian or centos, ...) the SH server takes up a full core load?

Not sure if i did anything wrong with the setup or if some libraries just mess the old binary up so it uses now more CPU.
    Anyone has any idea why this is caused? Or any idea how to debug this?

Example:
    If you have a linux machine with 4 cores, SH server will take up 1 of the 4 cores at 100%

I dunno about linux, but i doubt the problem is the OS

i have few questions.
    is your server config named server.cfg?
    are you loading the first map via vstr or map?
    is the SH server running custom mods?
    is the log showing any error?

I remember seeing a a post time ago about 100% cpu usage on quake 3 servers, and the problem was related to the vstr command when loading the first map

I tried it with default SH server, no mods: 100% load.

100% it's with ur server.cfg
    try another one that doesn't follow the pattern of commands.

Yeah that definitely isn't normal. For a game that is as old as MOHAA< it shouldn't use up that many resources; especially with the advance in hardware these days.
    I'm not as savvy in *nix platforms, but maybe @Todesengel might have some input. He's much more knowledgable with the unix environment and is pretty good with debugging in it.

The only things I can think of are...
    1. libraries are messed up
    2. drivers are outdated/incorrect
    3. the game is corrupted. Maybe try doing a clean install just backup your mods and then put them back in afterwards. If the issue still continues, then it could be a mod or configuration causing an infinite loop or something that's taking up all your hardware resources.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Is it the same VPS?

I tried different Linux machines, cloud servers, dedicated servers, my own Pc's. All the same.. I also tried different cfg, even a minimal cfg. Still the same... No mods, just a clean install with default game files with just spearhead_lnxded added.

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

Hav you tried just limiting the cpu usage of the process and see if it effects the server in any way? It could be less of a fix and more of a workaround but it might help. Limiting the cpu with something like cpulimit.

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive

Quote Originally Posted by Appelpitje View Post
    Now when i try to host a SH server on a Linux machine (doesn't matter if its ubuntu, debian or centos, ...) the SH server takes up a full core load?

Not sure if i did anything wrong with the setup or if some libraries just mess the old binary up so it uses now more CPU.
    Anyone has any idea why this is caused? Or any idea how to debug this?

Example:
    If you have a linux machine with 4 cores, SH server will take up 1 of the 4 cores at 100%
    Some years back I hosted AA server on Linux and it was pretty calm and quiet. I still have linux as my primary OS and I have time to test it for you. So if you can share the link from where I can download the complete package (All server files needed) I can test it right away.

P.S. My machine is Ununtu 64 bit 16.04.

@purple: will try that when i have some time

@anspectrum: here is a link: https://appelpitje.stackstorage.com/s/0YBeVKBpsJGSUD1