Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: banid with several players on same IP

Default banid with several players on same IP

Hi guys, sorry if it was posted before but there's something i've been surprised by while testing banid from 2 different PC's that have the same IP.
    The ban part work great banning the IP of the player id, but when it comes to kick for banedIP, it just ban the player that have the lowest entnum from the guys that have the same banned IP, whatever id you gave to banid!.
    Maybe if a client is cheating, we may say the other ones with the same IP are cheating too, but that's not the purpose. Banid just kicks with kickip though you ask for a banid.

That makes no sense! An IP address is like a fingerprint... You can't have the same public IP address. If you do, one machine "technically" won't have internet access. It might just have access on your LAN, but not to the public.

Are these computers with the same IP address on your home network? If so, run this in command prompt on one of the machines:
    ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew

EDIT:
    Apparently, I may be mistaken...

https://superuser.com/questions/1012...same-public-ip

If that's the case, then I'm not really sure what to do... I would say it's rare to come across this, but if you do, then I don't know what the resolution would be??? Kick by userid/name or something...
    Most ISP's should support IPv6 these days, so you shouldn't run into this issue.

i have no network trouble, that was the cosmetic part of the post just talking about the Reborn banid process code that is bugged as it kicks the wrong player if several players have the same IP as i explained. It just takes the first one from the collection instead of using the player entnum.

It is completely normal for multiple players to have the same ip. If 2 pc are connected to the same router they have the same ip but different ports.
    This is not a bug.You can't work around it.
    And if you ban a player the other player with the same ip would have to wait for the next round or map before he gets the banned screen. or kicking would do the same.
    You can't do anything about it.

Yeah thats called NAT, multiple pc's are connected in the localnetwork and have private IP adresses but the packets to the internet go via the router and are NAT'ed to 1 public IP. Unless you have multiple internet connections

Not that it matters to me but is there a way to ban the ports, along with the IP's?

Quote Originally Posted by RyBack View Post
    It is completely normal for multiple players to have the same ip. If 2 pc are connected to the same router they have the same ip but different ports.
    This is not a bug.You can't work around it.
    And if you ban a player the other player with the same ip would have to wait for the next round or map before he gets the banned screen. or kicking would do the same.
    You can't do anything about it.
    i cant believe my words can make sens hehe. But i think there is a workaround to this banid process behaviour. Reborn bans the IP of the player id from the banid command, ok every guy with the IP will be banned next round, no problem. Then it must kick the guy with given id, you want that bad kid away now, Reborn could do so by a simple clientkick # but it doesn't actually bother and just kicks the first one it finds in the list of the guys with same IP. The authorized number of players per IP is even parametrable in the Reborn config btw Im aware that's not a main point, just wanted to nitpick about that with someone interested, or maybe someone could fix and recompile something like that hehe That made me loose some time messing with the stuffsrv banidr allways banning my other PC instead of the right one when testing

//** sets how many connections from Same IP
    seta sv_maxconnperip 3

The clients port will mostly be random (correct me if im wrong). So there is no point off blocking ports in MOHAA.

Also take a look at the TCP/IP / OSI model:

It goes basically like this the lower you ban a protcol, it will apply on all protocols above it. For example if you ban an IP on a server, it will block all ports for the IP.
    But ofcourse there are rules like blocking IP with a certain ports, if you want someone to not play on 1 server but he can on a other server then you make a block rule for his ip and the port of your server (incomming firewall rules).

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Command where you have to give ID instead of IP were added so make admins work easier so they don't have to type long IP if they know the player slot. If it kicks only one person then I think it's a bug and it should kick all people that have that IP.

Nooooooooo, not that bug ! Thank you for your post though i couldn't even imagine that sad answer eventuality