Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is Stufftextdetection ? and how its Works

Default what is Stufftextdetection ? and how its Works

what is Stufftextdetection ? and how its Works
    how and when it kick player ?
    Reasons >?

can anyone please explain in detail abt this feature, and why stufftextdetection kick a clean member ?

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

There is a server-side scripting command called stufftext. It was created for scripters to allow them to change client settings in server-sided mods. This way they could force player to make screenshots (Forced SS), force them to turn off ForceModels or force their CVars to good values (this way some cheats could be turned off with server-sided mod).

However client can bypass this stufftext command so it no longer works on his client MoH:AA. This way he would remain safe from any Admin Mods like Foresight etc.

Our StufftextBypassDetection feature checks if player have this stufftext command bypassed, by using special technique that I don't want to describe here.

Even some legit players can be kicked because they can have stufftext bypassed, even if they don't play with cheats like norecoil or wh. Sometimes they can be kicked by mistake when they join server and wait too long to join a team and select weapon.

In this case they can simply reconnect and this should happen again for them.

can u explain me in pm please..

Our StufftextBypassDetection feature checks if player have this stufftext command bypassed, by using special technique that I don't want to describe here.

Yeah like me. I get kicked for stufftext randomly all the time. No idea why. This feature has way too many false positives.

Let me just say that the stufftext isn't fail proof and the reason we don't want to discuss it publicly is because we wouldn't want to risk it getting bypassed. I'm sure as a player and a potential server admin, you can understand why and would respect that consideration. At any rate I think razorapid explained it perfectly above.

Long story short, The dev's didn't include any kind of validation to check whether or not the client has any modified commands\cvars. With our patch we have included a validation system to check this. Now, I'm not sure why it would cause a false positive if a player doesn't join a team fast enough or for own3mall, maybe razo can explain that bit, but that's basically the concept of how it works.

Could you please explain it further. It happens to me on every computer I use. Making your unnamedsoldier.cfg read-only is not a hack. This prevents retarded admins from permanently changing your settings. This is the only thing I can think of as to why I'm being labeled a hacker when I'm not hacking.

Making your unnamedsoldier.cfg read-only is NOT a hack.

However, lets look at this example.

Do you know what is a Forced Screenshot? Admin forces client to make a screenshot.
    He uses mod to do it.

Mod in simplified form is based on stufftext command and in theory looks like:

Code:
    client_number stufftext "screenshot"
    What this mean is he sends a screenshot command to client

Now, cheater will bypass this command by eg. turning it off, changing it's name client-side

So if he changes it to like: stufftext -> imcheater
    Then client won't recognise "stufftext" command sent by server because for client it won't exist. It will be there but under changed name.

Admin would need to change his stufftext also to imcheater, and then call:
    Code:
    client_number imcheater "screenshot"
    and it would work. However, admin will never know how cheater renamed stufftext command or if he disabled it at all.

Now, our method send some special stufftext command and awaits for specific response. If there isn't any response, then it means that player has bypassed stufftext command.

Now false positives may happen because:

You probably noticed that sometimes when you eg. join team, select weapon etc., you need to do it twice because console says: "client command ignored" or something like that.

This also may happen when we send our special stufftext command, it may get ignored and patch will assume that you have bypassed stufftext command.

Do you understand now?

Got it, but it kicks me randomly after 30 minutes of play. Nothing has changed... I just get booted all of a sudden. My ping is good, and any rcon user could SS me.

I will fix this problem in next server-side patch release that will come soon (it will be released with sv_pure and sv_allowdownload, however I won't release client-side patch tha fast because I'll be adding some stuff to stop cheaters)

Sounds good, can't wait for the next version.