Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible new bug in MoHSH (and likely others) that causes server hang

Exclamation Possible new bug in MoHSH (and likely others) that causes server hang

Hello all! Been a while since I last time posted to this forum.

I have a SH server and I've recently been getting mysterious hangs that always seem to happen when there are 12-15 players. I've tried all combos of binaries (Daven's patches, GSProtector) but none of it helps. I have all possible crash fixes and the state files have been merged very carefully. It's not about specs or platform, tried VPS and dedicated, windows and linux, x86 and x64. I've "stress tested" my mods with glitching them to hell and back, and actually managed to find some new but unrelated bugs.
    Also, there's no specific indication of errors in console before the freeze takes place, it's always random.

Today I was lucky and successfully recorded all UDP traffic when such a freeze took place. I was also able to fire up OllyDBG on the frozen moh_spearhead_server.exe and pinpoint the infinite loop which is in dgamex86.dll (see the attachment).

Anyone else been getting anything similiar?

-V
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hangup.jpg  
    The key to a successful game is the ability to customize.
    Click here to see PakRadar, the autodownload patch, in action downloading custom skins!

Alright I've managed to get more info on the case.

There are 2 functions in dgamex86.dll where the infinite loop can occur: Player::SelectNextWeapon and Player::SelectPreviousWeapon.
    And in particular, the loop gets executed when scrolling from last inventory item to the first or vice versa. I haven't yet found out the exact situation that makes the loop go infinite, but patched it so that it cannot loop infinitely anymore. There is a side effect on this, which is inability to endlessly scroll through inventory in one direction, but atleast the infinite loop cant occur anymore.

I'll keep everyone posted on this.
    Click here to see PakRadar, the autodownload patch, in action downloading custom skins!

Quote Originally Posted by VATEC6000 View Post
    Alright I've managed to get more info on the case.

There are 2 functions in dgamex86.dll where the infinite loop can occur: Player::SelectNextWeapon and Player::SelectPreviousWeapon.
    And in particular, the loop gets executed when scrolling from last inventory item to the first or vice versa. I haven't yet found out the exact situation that makes the loop go infinite, but patched it so that it cannot loop infinitely anymore. There is a side effect on this, which is inability to endlessly scroll through inventory in one direction, but atleast the infinite loop cant occur anymore.

I'll keep everyone posted on this.
    Ok cool great you got this traced more

Blocking the bug was a huge success!

Except now whoever was exploiting it on my server has moved back to traditional DDoS attacks...

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

Hi,

This seems similar to a bug which was found on MOHAA, when a player would throw away all weapons except grenade, then chuck last grenade and quickly scroll through weapons ( mouse wheel) and that would cause the game to crash. This has since been fixed with Reborn tho.

Not necessarily the same bug, but similar in that happens when scrolling through weapons.
    http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthr...l-Server-Crash

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive

Yep, it's been properly fixed in Reborn. For those on SH or BT, this can also be fixed by giving the player binoculars (or not taking them away to begin with).

As long as binoculars are in the players inventory, it should be impossible to crash.
    Browse MOHAA Servers Post GameSpy Era

VISIT MOHREBORN.COM FOR LATEST INFORMATION

Medal of Honor: Game Server Browser Fixer - Patches your MOHAA, MOHSH, and MOHBT game binaries to allow you to retrieve a list of game servers within the multi-player menu in-game even after GameSpy ceases operation!

Medal of Honor: Query Launcher - Find, browse, organize, join, get your ping, and get more information regarding all Medal of Honor (AA, SH, & BT) servers from your PC at any time!
    Medal of Honor: Web Server Master List - Find and browse all Medal of Honor servers online using your browser!
    Add your Medal of Honor Server to the Master List
    YouTube Video for Medal of Honor: Query Launcher and MOHAASERVERS.TK!

MOHAA Mods and Utilities
    OwN-3m-All's Mods
    Make Me Stock - A program that allows you to easily move-in and move-out non-stock mods and other files at the click of a button. Automates adding / removing mods without having to copy / move files manually.

Quality Game Servers

Rent dedicated Dallas Texas, Kansas City, Las Vegas Nevada, Chicago, Pennsylvania, and Sofia Bulgaria MOHAA and other game servers from We Be HostiN starting at $10 a month.

@Purple Elephant1au and @own3mall
    Yea it seems to be the same bug, but binoculars didn't help. I also already have had the nade fix pk3. The only thing that stopped the freezes for me was to NOP the end of the loop so it's not a loop anymore. It's a quick and dirty fix but it works.

Moments after having patched the server, a player connected and I saw them do a lot of switching between spectator and axis. He got bored, left the server and 2 minutes later began a DDoS attack. So I bet this bug has something to do with changing weapons and going to spectator. This might only affect me because of my mods (there's some brute force weapon replacements).

hi

VATEC can you help me with mods in sh game like guns at ground and othr stuff where to find this , if you cant no problm

tnx

Quote Originally Posted by ewok View Post
    hi

VATEC can you help me with mods in sh game like guns at ground and othr stuff where to find this , if you cant no problm

tnx
    What we use to do before reborn fixed it was not make your weapons droppable...

/for the love of god seems even after a decade dick head's to spoil the game also still play to spoil the game for others

Thanks for sharing info above hope we can fix this for all