Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOHAA map database

Default MOHAA map database

Hi all following on from my post which ened up completely off topic in the wrong section (mods could you move the threads to here please ?)
    http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthr...and-from-where

Hi Stranter, that's cool - my duff attempt was this

http://www.aaaa.gamingdeluxe.net/AAA...p?name=Reviews
    My attempt is just on nuke MYSQL

the idea was to get basic map details as in Name, type and the load page screen picture + set a download link and then mass build the database.

After that it would be down to the community to add ratings and comments to the maps.

BUT then I read JoTo's vision and thought well my conecept is now looking very duff but think the whole map database concept is excellent and would be a great MOHAA resource for all.

I have been their myself wading through 100's of maps trying to find one I cant remember the name of............

I would like to get this off the ground - So I am not sure if I could get your code working Stranter and just enter the data into my duff effort to see how it looks or to wait for JoTo when he has some time for his .net vision which would be very cool.
    Last edited by JoTo; December 20th, 2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

I would make this database using PHP. It can unzip file, grab picture etc.

If someone with .NET coding experience has interest to work this out, I would make the concept for it and help with coding.
    It could be made for double use, in a way that it could be used by a standalone tool, and as a service available via webbrowser.
    Extracting and converting the loader pictures should be no issue, also names startcommands etc., description would go manually and accessible by a special admin section.
    PHP would only be used for the web-frontend to users, coding the tool with the nescessary admin part in .Net is 10x quicker than PHP.

I'm really busy with university related stuff at the moment, but you can just contact me at any point I can quickly whip something together

Anyone up to this?

I'd really like to see this working. Since I'm developing patch itself I cannot take an active part of this project, but I can help with code if this will be needed.

I don't know how to communicate between .NET / PHP / mySQL but together we can work something out.

So I invite ppl with some knowledge in PHP / mySQL (or databases at all) / .NET / anything that can be helpful and www related like Flash/Flex, AJAX, ASP etc. to take part in this.

Projects like that are great opportunity for giving something from yourself for the game you love, and for other ppl.

Hi it would be great to get this off the ground, the parts I can help in are limited but have started to build a central map store. The problem of so many multi custom map packs with dupe maps. I have started to sort through all the maps I can find and delete the dupes, I can host these on our dedi box and host any databases etc - if we got a working solution we have a good crew at AAAA that would populate the descriptive aspect of each map record and add the content.

If this did get going in the future it could be an option to modify the new autodownload to say perhaps allow admins to point to the map database to get the maps instead of off their server reducing i/o to the game server ????

I know if it took off I would have to move it to its own environment for bandwidth but that shouldn't be a problem.

Key aspects........

- Central map store for all custom maps
    - Database of maps - name / in game name for changing / base screen shot of map / version / version date / credits for creator!!! / links to external reference info for map

- user area -: ability to upload extra screen shots
    Add base description
    Add user reviews
    Rating system
    Bug reports
    - direct download
    - ability to interface with patch autodownload.
    - Web interface Nuke module

Any way just a quick overview

Happy shooting

Cheers
    Heatsinkbod

(Jon)

KILL em ALL and then KILL em ALL again!!

http://www.aaaa.gamingdeluxe.net/AAAA/

Yes, it will be possible to point at some www that stores mods for auto-download if you won't want to store it for downloading on server.

I will start something up with the .NET part soon (at least get it started). Will take in consideration your nice suggestions Jon.

.Net application will be indepent from the webbased php part and will be for users and admins (of that database), and working like a Wiki, so everyone who likes to contribute
    can do that.
    People who like to be involved in the administrative part pop up here and now please (think twice please, it will be a lot of work)

For the start I will use my own server, maps and mods can allready be accessed there via FTP atm ( ~ 3GB of maps), use this: address: scapp.net, port 21, users: ftp1, password: ftp1

Later it should be moved to an own (fast) server, where the data can be accessed both through webserver + ftpserver.

It will need a coordinator, who coordinates the feedback and input from users and admins, I think that should be you Jon, do you agree ?

Hi - Joto yeh no probs on that side, and yeh at some point once live will have to host on fast server (hope AAAA can help sort that side out )- will also need backups as secondary, have seen so many project efforts go offline because players / admins have moved on and server access goes offline so will need to set it with Primary and secondary.

Think we will need to create some project sections for public input and offline for dev............

Thanks for sticking your boots in the mud to help know you are busy also on other stuff !!!!

Cheers
    Heatsinkbod

(Jon)

KILL em ALL and then KILL em ALL again!!

http://www.aaaa.gamingdeluxe.net/AAAA/

Last edited by heatsinkbod; November 21st, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Just for info, I have started on this.