Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MOHAA map database

Banned

i like the look of your programme.

I like the idea of people having an installer...actually that was done by Hal a long time a go to.. ill find the link if you need. It was a tutorial on how to make isntallers for mods.

BUT./....it fell shrot because a lot of people don't know how to find their game dir and don't buy moh so its not in their registry. They should be shot and not allowed mods anyway because they soon moan it doesnt work because they often cant read either.

I would nto want to run installers for my mods as i do nto like having my registry full of mods. I would want them in main or not in main. Not in registry with an uninstaller. Though through your programme you can create your own DB. Thats all.

I have thought about this through mohaa before. click to browse/ locate a pk3, and install it. mohaa has a file picker after all.

Databases are great, but then its "who runs it" and who has the time to invest and interest to keep. I know i couldnt be checking maps and blah and accepting and stuff. Then there is rejecting maps and breaking hearts.haha. o well!

hm missunderstanding I think about the installer: the installer is the tool itself, but any content that gets uploaded will have to be delivered together with instructions of how to install/deinstall by the modder/mapper/user. Those instructions will be converted by the tool in an xml file and uploaded to database. The instruction are e.g. copy, rename, move file x to folder y etc.etc.

The tool will have a scanning feature for installed (and supported) games either by registry or manually adding.

So all in all one-click installation (and deinstallation) is the goal I like to archieve. The local viewmode will have a list of the mods/maps that are allready installed, the resource viewmode those that are available.

We would need an own windows based server for the server side and database and ofc admins with knowledge about maps and mods, but I think admins don't nescessarily need to be modders or mappers, just a good understanding of what a mod or custom map is should do it imo so modders and mappers can concentrate on their work.