Thread: Windows Task Scheduling

Default Windows Task Scheduling

I'm running into some trouble, and would like to get some input on this.

I wrote a program that injects a dll into an app and does "stuff" everything works fine when I run it under my account.
    I setup a Windows task schedule to start the application twice a day. Once in the AM and once in the PM.

The task starts "technically" because I see it running in task manager when I monitor it, but it seems that when a task is started through task scheduler it runs in a "silent" mode of some sort. In other words it suppresses the GUI, even if I run the task under the account name that I am concurrently logged into...

This is an issue for me because my application is automated by using the GUI and interacting with the menus. It auto clicks and selects all the windows and other objects within the process until everything I want to do is finished and then the process exits.

So my question is... Do any of you know any way around this "suppressed" method of scheduling tasks. I want the process to start as though I am logged in and manually clicking on the shortcut to start an app (even though I am not logged in).

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'm running into some trouble, and would like to get some input on this.

I wrote a program that injects a dll into an app and does "stuff" everything works fine when I run it under my account.
    I setup a Windows task schedule to start the application twice a day. Once in the AM and once in the PM.

The task starts "technically" because I see it running in task manager when I monitor it, but it seems that when a task is started through task scheduler it runs in a "silent" mode of some sort. In other words it suppresses the GUI, even if I run the task under the account name that I am concurrently logged into...

This is an issue for me because my application is automated by using the GUI and interacting with the menus. It auto clicks and selects all the windows and other objects within the process until everything I want to do is finished and then the process exits.

So my question is... Do any of you know any way around this "suppressed" method of scheduling tasks. I want the process to start as though I am logged in and manually clicking on the shortcut to start an app (even though I am not logged in).

Any thoughts?

GUI would not work if it cant interact with the user account.... Under the general TAB on the Scheduler select Run only when the user is logged on - This seems to slap windows into knowing its not a background task and should run it in foreground - although the default setting shows a user account....God knows but above should fix it

But will the process still run if the user locks his computer? (On the CTrl + Alt + Del windows screen to unlock your computer)?

Cant remember TBH but their is a fix for that also - it involves registry fix but will work... Also other options such as running it as a service not an application I think I have done that also in the past..........

Also you are using the generic scheduler many other third party options to run tasks but still think you can sort this as is.. had a quick google and is a fix for running schedule apps while logged off.......... not done it myself so not sure....