Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ideas for reborn

Default ideas for reborn

I've been browsing on MRU when I found some of my old posts. I was very excited about the 1.12 patch that time. I would like to share those ideas here, as well. Some of them might be implemented in reborn. It is an already filtered humble list (original post can be found HERE).

- bomb placing animation
    - animation for using binoculars
    - cinematic endings (tommaso and veers already made a few, I got them)
    - abandon minimal graphic settings (force maximum quality)
    - fancy memorial room about old bugs + credits
    - realistic weather and daytime changing system (maybe switchable lights at night)
    - enable/disable tracers

I think a lot of these can just be modded, and don't necessarily need Reborn.

abandon minimal graphic settings (force maximum quality)

I believe that most computers these days should be able to handle maximum quality for an older game like MOHAA, but personally I'm not a fan of someone "Forcing" me to do something. Even if my computer can handle max resultion, maybe I prefer playing it in lower res. (Just playing devils advocate)

The realistic weather would be cool. I've seen some mods in the past where users have been working on transitional weather effects. I can't recall how well it worked, but I do agree that it would be cool to see a realistic transition from day to night and vise versa.

Tracers I'm sure have been done before. When you say tracer do you mean like a "predetermined" line that shows where your bullet will hit, or where your projectil will go when it's thrown? Or do you mean like a laser tracer? I think these sort of mods can be done and have been done before.

As far as the menu/credits and all that, well Razor redesigned the whole frontend so that has been done.

Yes, these ones can be modded even without reborn. I just wanted to point out that they have no effect on gameplay (except the last two ideas), so they could be minor enhancements like the FXAA mentioned in another topic.

Some players used the 16bit settings in order to make player skins brighter. I don't say that it is a cheat, but I think this kind of trick is a quite unfair thing.

Thinking through the realistic weather... raining/snowing effect can be added using scripts, but the map itself doesn't transform. If textures, lights and shadows could be changed realtime, that was awesome, wasn't it?

Yes, I mean those predetermined lines. Well, I don't want to see them but in night combat.

What do you exactly mean on 'redesigned' frontend? Is it a new mohaa menu which supports widescreen resolutions? or this menu is forced to be running in window only?

Some players used the 16bit settings in order to make player skins brighter.

Seriously??? I had no idea about this. Honestly I don't even see how the bit ratio would make something more\less brighter. It just limits the color spectrum but it shouldn't effect the glow effect.

What do you exactly mean on 'redesigned' frontend? Is it a new mohaa menu which supports widescreen resolutions? or this menu is forced to be running in window only?

I mean we redid the whole frontend menu for MOHAA. Added more features. Basically implemented xfire into the game. With ranks and a bunch of other stuff. It's called Reborn Combat Centre. I think you saw Razor's post here:

http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthread.php/2631-Little-sneak-peak-of-upcoming-changes

And the screenshots are in windowed mode, but it ca be full screen as well.

also when u putt all settings on the lowest... u can see people true rocks etc... like a wallhack.. maybe its good to fix that to?

All that does is give you a better ping, less lag, graphics card don't work so hard. 16bit is good for high pingers and people with crappy computers. I played on 56k dail up for the first 6yrs set up game like it said on quake tweeks with the lowest settings to get my ping down below 300, and I couldn't see through any rocks or walls. The only way you going to fix the settings people play on is with stufftext or what ever it is and people will not go for that, clowns will always cheat, you can't stop them, they will find away so why add crap that isn't need, just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to or should. How I like my game to look or run isn't anyone's business but mine, as long as it's not a hack, seen somewhere something about forcing rates to 25000 because that's what the server was set to, who cares what my max rate is set to? Mine's set to 15000 because that's the best my connection can handle, the players max rate doesn't have anything to do with the server, changing a pinger's rate isn't going to help his ping just make it worse, I can understand wanting to and in some cases needing to fix some things, like sv_pure fixing that alone will stop most things, but then people will stop playing because they like their skins, scopes crosshair and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Seriously??? I had no idea about this. Honestly I don't even see how the bit ratio would make something more\less brighter. It just limits the color spectrum but it shouldn't effect the glow effect.
    I'm not sure, just according to my memories. But there is definitely something that highlights player (and maybe other) models to contrast them with their ambience.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I mean we redid the whole frontend menu for MOHAA. Added more features. Basically implemented xfire into the game. With ranks and a bunch of other stuff. It's called Reborn Combat Centre. I think you saw Razor's post here:

http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthr...coming-changes

And the screenshots are in windowed mode, but it ca be full screen as well.
    Yes, I saw that post. So Reborn Combat Center is executed from the original mohaa menu by a reborn button?

Quote Originally Posted by easymeat View Post
    All that does is give you a better ping, less lag, graphics card don't work so hard. 16bit is good for high pingers and people with crappy computers. I played on 56k dail up for the first 6yrs set up game like it said on quake tweeks with the lowest settings to get my ping down below 300, and I couldn't see through any rocks or walls. The only way you going to fix the settings people play on is with stufftext or what ever it is and people will not go for that, clowns will always cheat, you can't stop them, they will find away so why add crap that isn't need, just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to or should. How I like my game to look or run isn't anyone's business but mine, as long as it's not a hack, seen somewhere something about forcing rates to 25000 because that's what the server was set to, who cares what my max rate is set to? Mine's set to 15000 because that's the best my connection can handle, the players max rate doesn't have anything to do with the server, changing a pinger's rate isn't going to help his ping just make it worse, I can understand wanting to and in some cases needing to fix some things, like sv_pure fixing that alone will stop most things, but then people will stop playing because they like their skins, scopes crosshair and stuff.
    IMHO, priority should be on fair play. The lower graphic settings the less 'polygons' you have in models and terrain. Actually, it's a drawback for you, since you can't see fully the other players in a bomb crater for example.

... and I could mention those tricky cfgs that facilitate 'self-speccing'.

server admins should have the choice what they want to allow what they don't (e.g. I would allow only historical/realistic skins on my server)

Me personally I don't need things like sv_pure, you want custom stuff go for it. I just monitor for hacks. If I suspect you I play against you with MY wallhack on, if you look at me through the wall too often or anything like that, you get my unbind cmd. Reset cvars, unbind all, snaps 0, fps to 0, say "Oops, got caught being a dick, bye guys LOL!" and crash to desktop.

I don't use that command often, but I use it with full confidence and without hesitation, because I've found that using a hack is the easiest way to catch a hack. You can't be "certain" he can see through walls unless you know what he's looking at IMO. I'm a fair admin, to fair players. I would never restrict what is allowed on my server (that's not a cheat anyway) because people work super hard on all these skins and client side mods, I'm not nullifying someone's hard work so it will be "easier" to admin my server. Though I do fully approve of the option to do so.

Hehe I always use all those commands on hackers as well as soon as I catch them.
    However I believe using a wallhack yourself you're prone to believing that people are hacking quicker..

I mean, I look at walls all the time before going through doorways or around corners.. especially if I know where someone is (and I tend to know that a lot haha). I've been accused by many hackers as well, them also saying I was staring at them when I had no idea I was xD
    Last edited by Shadow; July 27th, 2015 at 04:14 AM.