Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ideas for reborn

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Elephant1au View Post
    Sorry but have to say something here off topic aswell.

There is a spectate mod that allows a admin that is 'in-game' to spectate a player without actually being in the "spectator" mode so the hacker would be none the wiser and use a 'panic' button.
    I never knew that, I've never seen it or read about it lol. Part of the reason I started doing it my way. I figured something like this would exist eventually, I just haven't searched for it since I've used my way. Do you have a name or a link for this? I'd like to check it out as well.

This is the link, Gotcha:

http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthr...ight=spectator

It's a very usefull tool, but still has some bugs.
    The players that is specced sometimes doesn't display the correct name. It -is- the correct player though.
    And sometimes the spectating just stops without warning after a few seconds, and no matter how many times you re-issue the speccing command on that player it still only works for a few seconds. ( And no,the player IS NOT going to spec!)

So give it a try! Even with these minor flukes it is still a very nice tool for stealthy checking up on a player

I also posted this one, that should be the most updated: http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthr...Player-Specing

Just some thoughts reading above I still feel their is an issue with network handling between low internet speed players and then high speed connections............

Its not so much about the pings

Its more a case of I can have a fantastic game then all of the sudden cant get the kills - I used to think it was to much wine but honesty just thing it cant cope with a couple of slow connections and then many fast connections - why do a couple of high pingers need to be kicked ? - It should be able to cope better with the mismatch of connection speeds ?

HSB, how much wine did you have before writing this? :P

Ping is merely a number that ells you how fast it takes for a packet to get from the source to the destination.
    source = client
    destination = server.

There are many variables that can make a ping high
    1. The most obvious is the internet connection from both source and destination routes
    2. location

I typically have a ping < 100 when I played MOHAA, but when I played with purpleElephantAU a while back, I think my ping was between 300 - 400ms.

Any way in terms of gaming is concerned, there are also a lot of variables. The packet compression for example. MOHAA uses the Huffman algorithm.
    When WarRock first came out, many servers were hosted in China (if I'm not mistaken), and despite me being on the opposite side of the world, I actually had a very good network connection because they did a good job with network packet compression and being able to transmit data.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

On-Topic: Is the radio still implemented in the new Reborn patch? Cause CB Radio is down now isn't it? That was used in an early version when I tested it.
    Yes, it is implemented. Server can set up their own radio for players to listen to, so there is no need for ClanBase radio. But in the beginning, I've planned that xNULL will run their own radio Maybe someone would pick that idea, if not - server admin can set the radio to their own (can be just a generic radio link), and people can play servers which also stream music they like For example, you could get a server full of metalheads \,,/

Now, few notes off-topic about WH - I am on Shadows side here. A lot of players tend to do pre-firing or pre-aiming, where they stare at the wall and strafe right or left, firing BEFORE they see the opponent, it helps to compensate lag and make sure those few more bullets hit your opponent and it can make a big difference when you're 1vs1 or even 1vs2.

And it can be very misleading, the same with sound (footsteps etc.)

those egyptian dudes with a ping over the 100 are used ot play like that..... most of the time a high pinger prefires gets banned.... but they are the pros in prefiring after all thise years of practise :O

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    HSB, how much wine did you have before writing this? :P

Ping is merely a number that ells you how fast it takes for a packet to get from the source to the destination.
    source = client
    destination = server.

There are many variables that can make a ping high
    1. The most obvious is the internet connection from both source and destination routes
    2. location

I typically have a ping < 100 when I played MOHAA, but when I played with purpleElephantAU a while back, I think my ping was between 300 - 400ms.

Any way in terms of gaming is concerned, there are also a lot of variables. The packet compression for example. MOHAA uses the Huffman algorithm.
    When WarRock first came out, many servers were hosted in China (if I'm not mistaken), and despite me being on the opposite side of the world, I actually had a very good network connection because they did a good job with network packet compression and being able to transmit data.

Hi James yes agree...about the wine lol

But yes agree with your points but the point I am trying to make is how the game handles all this - so point ping being have played with high pingers and had a great game and then played on the same server with same situ of players and all of a sudden cant get the kills - and ytes thought t was the wine but honestly think an issue on it handling various speed's and appreciate what it has to calculate and process before it updates the server..........

With reference to the default client side network connection speed with in the game menu - how much does this impact the Server side processing of how it handles the network side ?

Does the server use that setting to determine how it handles data streaming back to the client and load balance on the server for all players ?

Example

Player has 56k modem so sloooowww connection but selects dsl connection in game - does the server then try to handle data for this player based on what he has selected or is it all client based or Both ??

Same for a player that has dsl high speed but ingame setting is 56k modem is the server then getting his connection speed from that setting instead of seeing how much data is being transmitted - so the server is calculating data requirements from client settings so that in some cases this causes lag because its calculating on incorrect parms from client ??

hope you see what I am trying to say... I can connect and game feel's cool and other time it sucks and its not my end just sometimes with certain load on the server it goes tits up - not talking about the patch here this is present in default game no patch

I tried to put bump mapping into mohaa with this tutorial http://www.paulsprojects.net/tutoria...implebump.html (manually placing a torus through the engine) but it doesn't look good :

http://www.zupimages.net/up/15/32/6jsy.png it seems to mess up with light and colors, and it doesn't look displaced.