View Poll Results: Which operating system do you prefer? (Not necessarily use)

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows

3 33.33%
  • Apple

3 33.33%
  • Linux

3 33.33%

Thread: Windows vs Apple vs *nix... Which do you prefer?

Default Windows vs Apple vs *nix... Which do you prefer?

I always like hearing peoples opinions about the type of systems and platforms they use\enjoy. I've been working on pc's for a long time so I have a very good understanding of all the OS's and have my own opinion about each one of them. I would like to hear some feedback with your choice of preferred OS. I will give my feedback when I hear from others.

u know what your getting with windows

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

@up.

Linux distros are perfect for servers, but they are way harder for users. I don't like the idea of whole apt-get stuff. Whatever you want to use, almost always you have to apt-get additional libs. On Windows you get everything with application installer. Also there's a lot of applications that needs to be compiled after downloading, so it gets even worse. Because of Linux's flexibility, even the simplest things can get problematic and hard to solve in some cases.

I never worked with Mac's so can't say a word about them. I can only say that modern Apple OS's looks nice ;p

well I read [BAD]'s response in the previous thread and that urged me to make this thread. Anywho, razo you are correct. I have used linux for a few years, but in no way have I used it as frequently as Windows, and I'm certainly not nearly as fully advanced in troubleshooting as I am in Windows.

Here are just some of my thoughts.

Windows:
    Advantages:

• ease of use
    • gaming

Disadvantages:

• freezes up
    • uses alot of resources
    • BSOD's
    • virii\adware and other malicious software
    • MANY systems come with a bunch of crap ware preinstalled which is unnecessary and significantly drops the performance
    Linux
    Advantages:

• Much more stable than Windows
    • no crap ware
    • doesn't bog down the system
    • open source, so in essence you can recompile the kernel anyway you want

Disadvantages:

• not as user friendly as Windows
    • you need a decent amount of knowledge & exposure in using terminal
    • not too many games\apps are supported
    Apple
    Advantages:

• ease of use
    • doesn't bog down the system with crapware
    • has alot of great full version applications preinstalled that allows you to do everything from movie, picture & music editting.
    • Stable and secure OS

Disadvantages

• terminal
    • limited game and application support compared to Windows
    Now it looks like I may be a bit biased, but here is what I think from working with the systems. Apple is the best of both systems. When it comes to ease of use, Apple is built on the same foundation as Linux (UNIX) which gives it a stable backend, with a great Graphical User Interface similar to that of Windows so anything you can possibly want is accessible right at your fingertips.

Now the interface is obviously different than Windows, but after you familiarize yourself with the OS, you will find how easy it is to navigate around, especially with the new Leopard series OS's.

As far as viruses are concerned, I realize that no OS is 100% safe even though that's probably Apples biggest selling point. Apple is however a very stable OS, it requires less lines of code to be executed at startup so it takes more effort to hack (from what I heard). Also Apple has a great development team. Once a virus is publicly known, the development team usually fixes it by pushing a update within a 24 hour period.

Apple comes with a cool program called Boot Camp. This program easily creates a partition & bootloader for mac's that allow you to easily toggle between any Windows platform and\or Leopard OS. You can run a full blown Windows OS as a primary OS on a mac and have everything you like about Windows on a top of the line Apple product.

Not to mention I have ran benchmarks on macbooks & macpro's and if you run a Windows pc side by side with an apple pc running Windows it actually benches higher. Why would a native platform run Windows better? It's because Apple gives a shit about the type of hardware they sell. Their factories are like Porsche dealerships. Their products are meticulously tested to perform to 100% satisfaction and they use quality hardware as opposed to some outsourced hardware, which also explains why they are significantly more expensive than your typical pc\laptop.

Think of it as this. Apple is like alienware, if you find $1500 a rip off for a quality system, why the hell would some people pay $2000+ for a totally revved up alienware that is capable of doing the exact same thing as an apple, and probably lasting longer and weighing less than 20lbs.

That said, another huge advantage to the macbook pro's is the battery lasts an avg of 6-7 hours. That's HUGE! On windows platforms you typically need to buy a much bigger cell that exceeds the platform size. It's sexy unibody chassis is made out of aluminum so it's sturdy and looks good. You have the lit up keyboard so you can use it at night with ease. Another cool thing is you won't trip over your power cord because it's magnetic, so it will snap off, which will save the laptop from falling, you tripping or the cord itself from bending and screwing anything up internally.

Another cool thing I learned is even though apple products are expensive, in the long run they cost much cheaper. To do a full OS update to a new version it costs only $30, compare that to a Windows update version to something like $150+. Last but not least the newest OS "Snow Leopard" introduced a new technology that isn't available for Windows yet. It's called OpenCL. Basically this new feature allows the user to take advantage of their high end video cards to boost their daily use performance for other things when they're not using it for gaming or other highly intense apps.

BTW, I don't work for Apple, I'm not getting paid to say this or advertise for them, I don't own an apple (yet), but their iPhones kick ass and I own that. I do plan on getting a macbook pro in the future when I get the money. I have actually been anti mac for a long time, and probably just changed my mind completely around their products after they introduced the macbooks. They really stepped up their game and the key features I mentioned above are what caught my interest.

Using apple imac 27" and its alot better then any other pc i had in the past.
    I've got bootcamp running to boot windows xp etc to play a few games now and then.

also the leopard os boots in like 10 seconds and your ready to start working. don't need to wait for all the startup programs to be ready or anything.
    steamgames are also available now for mac wich is a great step forward into the gaming industry. and yeah ;D i even have mohaa running on leopard os.

anyway, if you would ask me ... i would recommend you the apple series since i've both windows/*nix - apple machines
    so speaking from experience.