Thread: Who's Your Host?

Default Who's Your Host?

I've searched around the XNull site and haven't found any posts discussing server providers other than AAAA hosting. So here's one. Over the years I've had my share of experience with quite a few different server providers. I'm just curious as to everyone else's experience with the various hosts out there. Also this might be useful to those doing their research before switching hosts, or starting a server.

Before we begin, I feel like it would save tons of headache a few posts from now if we lay out some ground rules for this thread:

1) Do your best to keep everything in an unbiased, pros vs cons format for each host you describe here, regardless of your personal experience being positive or negative.
    2) Try not to make this a promotion page for your host if you're getting a kickback on referrals.
    3) If someone has a different experience than what you've posted or had, that's fine - post your experiences too, it's always nice to have more than one persons feedback when making a decision.
    4) Only review the hosting companies that still exist, please. Tons of re-seller sites come and go, so if they're not around anymore they're not worth reviewing.

Now that that's hashed out, I'll get started on my list with the following criteria:

Time Frame:
    Company:
    Package:
    Cost:
    Cons:
    Value (1-10):
    Performance (1-10):
    Support (1-10):
    Comments:

Time Frame: August 2008 - September 2010
    Company: Art of War Central [CLOSED]

Time Frame: October 2010 - December 2011
    Company: eXtreme Gaming [CLOSED]

Time Frame: November 2010 - April 2011
    Company: Escaped Turkey
    Package: "1 Game Server"
    Cost: $15.00 USD / Month
    Pros: The servers are super cheap and hold 64 players. You get root server access which isn't super common for a single server.
    Cons: No real control panel, I think there's maybe a "start/stop" button in your billing panel somewhere if I remember correctly, but you have to use a third party FTP client to change files. The servers were very unstable and even on a nearly stock server (sniper only weapon mod), it would crash with twelve players in it or become extremely laggy. The support from these guys was pretty rough as well, their forums are pretty much dead and they don't look at the tickets too often.
    Value (1-10): 10/10
    Performance (1-10): 5/10
    Support (1-10): 4/10
    Comments: Not bad if you're looking for a test server. It'd probably be less headache to just unblock the ports on your home router given the performance of these servers.

Time Frame: May 2011 - April 2012
    Company: Gameservers
    Package: Public, 32-Player MoH:AA
    Cost: $31.95 USD / Month
    Pros: The servers were very stable, no issues with them crashing. Gameservers support is pretty decent. Never really had any issue getting them to reply to support tickets if you give them some time. Their control panel is easy to use. Free web hosting package.
    Cons: While the control panel is easy to use, it's very limited. You cannot change the username so you have to remember your account number, and then it's only good for starting and stopping the server - no built in FTP. We had an issue with the files in the root of the server being overwritten frequently. They're linux servers so back in the early days of the reborn patch trying to get them to help install that was a headache (this issue has since been fixed I believe). Not many "affordable" dedicated options - you've got to buy a whole box or a single server, no VPS solutions through GameServers.
    Value (1-10): 7/10
    Performance (1-10): 8/10
    Support (1-10): 9/10
    Comments: Overall decent, but for the price it was definitely time to switch to a VPS --

Time Frame: December 2012 - Current
    Company: Nuclear Fallout Servers
    Package: 3-Core VPS
    Cost: $40.97 USD / Month
    Pros: By far the best host we've had. Their support is unmatched - at any hour of the day or night I can put in a ticket and hear back from somebody within fifteen minutes. It's an unmanaged VPS so there aren't many reasons to put in support tickets, but when I do, they deliver. The price is unheard of for the quality of the machine we're getting (granted, the price back in 2012 was about 75 bucks for the same specs.. it's come down quite a bit in cost). The forum and knowledge base for NFo are expansive and active, there's been many times I haven't had to open up a ticket because of this feature. Their control panel gives me decent enough access to what I need for a VPS - emergency access through VNC console, and free OS reinstalls. I host about 10 MoHAA servers, a TS server with 500 slots, and three (very light) web-based applications from this thing and it purrs like a kitten. I had a few members with some odd ping spikes, and spoke with the tech support from NFo and they contacted their InterNAP provider and re-routed the hops that those clients IPs were taking to get them better performance - awesome support.
    Cons: The control panel, while easy to navigate, is limited - even when purchasing an individual server (no built in FTP is to be expected with an unmanaged VPS but that's how it's configured with traditional game servers as well). By definition, unmanaged means you've got to do all the game installing on your own which means you have to spend some time doing the initial setup or things wont work - definitely not plug and play. Also, if they ever have sales, you have to manually apply the discount, they wont do it automatically for you (over time the prices have dropped about 30-35 bucks on all of their virtual solutions).
    Performance (1-10): 9/10
    Support (1-10): 10/10
    Comments: Overall a good solution, you can get a whole virtual box for less than the price of one MOHAA server and 25 slot TS server from Gameservers, and run it on Windows - what's not to love?

Time Frame: January 2015 - February 2015
    Company: End of Reality
    Package: "Ember VDS"
    Cost: $40.00 USD / Month
    Pros: The support from these guys was pretty incredible. I could put in a ticket and have a response within half an hour the majority of the time. The VDS was set up very quick and they were willing to work with me on getting the files for MOHAA installed again since it wasn't a game they traditionally supported. TCAdmin is always a nice plus, (easier than hoping OGP works or teaching my admins how to use TeamViewer and hoping they don't break anything) and it was configured correctly with FTP to the server so there was no need for an additional FTP client. They were also super willing to give us a trial of their servers before we made the switch, I offered to pay and their support team insisted that I try for free for a week.
    Cons: While running one TS3 server with 25 clients connected and one fresh install of a MOHAA server with no mods aside from Mefy's FreezeTag mod and a weapon mod, the server was a bit laggy. We have a few members in Alaska and the nether regions of Canada who were getting much higher pings than we had seen from other hosting companies, and End of Reality was unable to do much to counteract that so we ended up leaving after a month with them. Also, no included web hosting or voice servers
    Value (1-10): 9/10
    Performance (1-10): 7/10
    Support (1-10): 9/10
    Comments: I thought I could save a few bucks from our hosting provider, NFo (at the time about $50/month compared to EOR's $40/month) but unfortunately they were unable to do much for the members who were experiencing higher than normal latency to their Chicago based servers. We ended up sticking with NFo. Overall though, they had some nearly unbeatable prices for some pretty solid performance servers.

Time Frame: March 2015 - April 2015
    Company: VULTR
    Package: 2 CPU Cloud SSD VPS
    Cost: $35.00 USD / Month
    Pros: The price is decent, the support was quick, and the server worked "alright".
    Cons: The connection to this server was a bit less stable than to other servers we've rented from. I had an unmanged VPS running Windows Server 2012 (not my top pick, but that's what they had so I went with it), and all the security features were enabled. After fiddling with it for two hours, I finally got the security features turned off so I could use IE to download Chrome to download the patched MOHAA server from the XNull site and set that bad boy up. I did send in a support ticket asking if unblocking ports was normal for game servers hosted through them and they assured me it was (through EOR and NFo, the ports were always unblocked to begin with). This is a new company and their billing system is a big buggy, they billed me two months rent after running the server for one week - sent in a ticket and got it squared away, but still a con in my books.
    Value (1-10): 8/10
    Performance (1-10): 7/10
    Support (1-10): 8/10
    Comments: For $35 a month, I again thought I would save a few bucks from NFo (at the time of this trial, NFo was about $50 a month) - unfortunately, the connection to this VPS wasn't as stable as NFo, so we're still going strong with our original hosting company.
    Last edited by [cB]SplatterGuts; April 19th, 2015 at 10:21 PM.

We Be HostiN hosts 64 slot MOH servers along with a bunch of other games for $15 a month. See my forum signature for more information.
    Browse MOHAA Servers Post GameSpy Era

VISIT MOHREBORN.COM FOR LATEST INFORMATION

Medal of Honor: Game Server Browser Fixer - Patches your MOHAA, MOHSH, and MOHBT game binaries to allow you to retrieve a list of game servers within the multi-player menu in-game even after GameSpy ceases operation!

Medal of Honor: Query Launcher - Find, browse, organize, join, get your ping, and get more information regarding all Medal of Honor (AA, SH, & BT) servers from your PC at any time!
    Medal of Honor: Web Server Master List - Find and browse all Medal of Honor servers online using your browser!
    Add your Medal of Honor Server to the Master List
    YouTube Video for Medal of Honor: Query Launcher and MOHAASERVERS.TK!

MOHAA Mods and Utilities
    OwN-3m-All's Mods
    Make Me Stock - A program that allows you to easily move-in and move-out non-stock mods and other files at the click of a button. Automates adding / removing mods without having to copy / move files manually.

Quality Game Servers

Rent dedicated Dallas Texas, Kansas City, Las Vegas Nevada, Chicago, Pennsylvania, and Sofia Bulgaria MOHAA and other game servers from We Be HostiN starting at $10 a month.

Its hard to miss

Time Frame: Jan(2015)-Feb(2015)
    Company:Markmods
    Package: 1 MoHAA Gameserver (32~64 Playas )
    Cost: 10 EU(excl Vat)
    Pros: Good CP - FTP support - auto restart - good support *.
    Cons: The support always answer question in 2 days , lol. - If I ever change the location the ping is still the same (it's a bit laggy though) - Ram is too low (250MB) hosted on a windows server ! that causes the server to crash if i add Elgbot or EXTgametypes.
    Value (1-10): 7/10
    Performance (1-10): 6.5/10
    Support (1-10): 7/10
    Comments: It's half-worth the price , lol

Package: 1 VPS Classic 3
    Cost: 8 EU (excl VAT)
    Pros: Nothing , At all !
    Cons: Payment system , I couldn't get out of their activation method , this resulted of money loss , their only response is the bank will redeem or something like that.
    Value (1-10): 0
    Performance (1-10): none
    Support (1-10): 0
    Comments: Don't even think about them !
    Package: Customized vps
    Cost: 13.5$
    Location: Germany (there are 4 others but i'm too lazy to remember xD)
    Pros: Decent support - Good connection - CashU payment available .
    Cons: AFAIK there is no auto-restart if a VPS shut down happened-No windows OS available - AFAIK they also have an activation method that is like OVH's one when u pay via paypal/credit.
    Value (1-10): 9
    Performance (1-10): 9
    Support (1-10): 10 ! *
    Comments: It's good till now Note : I installed OGP to start my servers . - Do not send tickets if you are on a hurry , go to the main page and use the chat instead .
    Last edited by RyBack; April 25th, 2015 at 12:28 AM.

Very well done guys! I like this and think many will find it very useful. I'll sticky this. Thanks for the input!

Slim . come over here and share with us ur VIP and Classified info about ur host

Edit:
    I forgot that VIP isn't what i think it is xD

Hi would just add for AAAA hosting some points...........

We are non profit so our model has worked for many years where we host for clans players and are non profit !

We have have high spec hardware and have 1gb network - We appreciate some world area's will get lag from our UK based hardware but we run many EU MOH servers............

We have offered before to replicate our model in say the USA states but we need commit's to forward this as we have no capital to invest in another remote hosting servers with out support from clans / players / members.........

So if we got at least 4 USA interested parties then we would / could add a USA hosted server under AAAA Hosting..............

I am happy to chat with any interested parties in improving AAAA hosting but we have invested in a lot of time and effort and recently improved our control panel to improve our service for controlling MOH servers !!

Time Frame: 2010 - Present
    Company: AAAA
    Package: Dedicated MOH server 8 CPU 1GB network
    Cost: http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...osting-request
    Pros: NON profit high performance run by the clans for the clans
    Cons: NONE - fantastic
    Comments: We don't done do it for money we do it for love of the game - lets rock

Prices per month

8 slot £4

12 slot £6

16 slot £7

18 slot £8

20 slot £9

​26 slot £10

30 slot £11

32 slot £12

40 slot £15

Server Features

TCADMIN Server control.
    Free file Hosting.
    Full FTP access
    Server auto start on crash
    High performance host hardware
    1GB network connection
    X-null Reborn Patch enabled - optional with or with out
    Free AAAA MOH Teamspeak Access

Jon
    Last edited by heatsinkbod; April 23rd, 2015 at 12:49 PM.

from the =[M.A.W]=CLAN Happy with the AAAA server
    Last edited by NANLINDA2002; April 26th, 2015 at 02:49 AM.

http://www.luxhosting.nl/order/
    Technology
    Network
    We offer you a homogeneous Juniper network with a throughput of at least 20Gbps from the rack to the core switch.
    This is currently unique in the entire game server hosting area and indeed Worldwide.

Each rack at least a Juniper EX3200 or EX3300 switch is Juniper .
    Our switches are 24 x 7 maintenance and all have redundant power supplies.
    The connection to the core switches are also redundant.
    Each root or game server customer is out of the box connected with 1Gbps and this Full Duplex .
    This bandwidth is not throttled or artificially reduced.
    If we offer 1Gbps, then you also have full 1Gbps full duplex is available.

Two different power phasers provide the redundant power supplies of our core switches,
    which are connected to a 100Gbps Virtual Chassis with each other.
    Each rack is connected with one 20 Gbps trunk, consisting of (2 x 10Gbps) at each core switch.
    This means that even if a core switch should fail, you are bound by before we at least 10Gbps.
    - With the help of our continualy renewed offer, we are trying to meet the needs of our customers edsier than before.
    - The best German, Dutch and Hungarian quality services in the most favorable price.
    - When the payment is done, you will get your service within 20 minutes.
    - War server configurations are for free and based on individual needs!
    Payment aypal
    platform linux
    fillezila connect

[EU] Amsterdam, NL
    [EU] Budapest, HU

Control Panel
    Premium Hardware
    24/7 Technical Support
    Installed in Minutes, 24/7

Fast Download (fastdl)
    FTP Connect
    Lag-free, Low ping
    Global Network

5 GB Space
    Free War Configuration
    Teamspeak 3 channel

Prices per month

10 slot €3.7

12 slot €4.5

14 slot €5.2

16 slot €6

18 slot €6.7

​20 slot €7.4

22 slot €8.1

24 slot €8.8

26 slot €9.5

28 slot €10.3

30 slot €11

32 slot €12

Prices per 3 month -20%
    Prices per 6 month -25%
    Prices per 12 month -30%
    i host in germany for a good ping for all players
    personal i have under 30 my ping
    Last edited by davio; April 26th, 2015 at 06:29 AM.