Thread: 6 suggestions

Default 6 suggestions

Good to be on this forum, James. I haven't played MoHAA in a long time... thus I haven't looked at this project's evolution. But now it'll change since I've regained interest and I'm trying to redo the entire jv_bot code.

Here are the 6 suggestions I've made when the project began; I assume they were long forgotten so I'll post them again:

1) New player variables: IP, name, kills, deaths, ping, weapon holding (I know this works well with a script but then again, it would be a lot faster if it were just one var to check), weapons/items in inventory (for these last two, I don't mean just the name but I want it to also return the entity)... and maybe a 'last time killed' property or something like that. Just a way to check by whom the player was killed, by what (weapon) and how (where did he get the fatal bullet?). Basically, the things displayed on the killboard "Sor (=attacker) perforated (=weapon) angus_young (=victim) in the upper right leg (=where)".

2) Fix faulty/unfunctional commands: leveltransition, bsptransition, stop the queuing of the weaponcommand commands because it can cause lag if many are used at once. And triggers with spawnflags set to 128 (bulletdetection) let the bullets that fly through them also fly through doors and some even report walls. There are a few more but I can't remember them. It's been almost half a year since the last time I really scripted something.

3) Individual huddraw (with up to 255 elements like the original) instead of the 3 globalwidget we are using now.

4) Ability to retrieve/check when a player pushes a certain button. I know this is already available for use and fire (.useheld, .fireheld) but I'd like to see it for most keys on the keyboard (.aheld, .bheld, .cheld...).

5) Player clips that can stop bullets and damage, as well as take on textures (in other words, scripted 'walls'). If this is possible, with some scripting, one can make doors out of this as well.

6) Ability to retrieve certain cvars the player has set. Such as his screen resolution and cvars like "r_vertexLight" which can make the player see through walls.

hi, very nice suggestions. I got myself a server for testing some days ago and was quickly struggling about some script issues so I decided to get myself into scripting, what I can already say is, its truely a pain in the ass
    a question, Im using at the moment notepad for it, but the more stuff you have its getting into a total mayhem, and at this moment Im thinking to transport it to visual studio, I do not want to reinvent the wheel, so is there allready a tool for vs available ?

Sor, how nice to have you on here. For those of you that don't know Sor, he is from modtheater & mods-r-us. We actually worked together few years ago when we were initially working on the patch trying to integrate it into a bunch of fixes along with MOH Reloaded. Here was the site: http://www.mohaa-reloaded.com/

Anywho, Sor is a great scripter, and I'm glad to see you have some motivation now to get back into the community. We have all been very busy and took a short break. Razorapid has done such a fabulous job, and he is now on vacation for another week or so. Other than that, so far I think the patch is pretty stable and from what I heard works very well. We are expecting to release a final revision (ALPHA) soon.

Thanks for the suggestions Sor, I appreciate it, and I do remember when you brought that up. I believe alot of those suggestion would require some modification on the clientside as well, and we do plan on integrating a small clientside backend that would communicate with the serverside. Also we will have a stufftext protection so that we can check whether or not the client has it modified now. It's not flawless, but once we update it, I think it will help alot of admins because then you should be able to use stufftext to check against what clients have, and are doing.

If you have any other insights to share, feel free to bring it to our attention. Also if you're interested in joining our development team, just let me know.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Hi Sor,
    I'm back now. Well most of the things you posted will need to be implemented into scripting engine. I don't know much about how values from game structs are made available for scripts. I've already taken a look into this, but I still don't know many things.

What I can say for now is that I reversed huddraw_ commands and it's possible to make it work for individual players. I already know how to do this, but this will require change in the original functions (ASM) or total replacement (C/C++ & Reversing Functions).

The rest will have to wait until I get better overview of scripting engine.

+1 for Sor's point 6. I would say block it's abuse. DMW used to have a list of what exactly most cvars do but don't know if they still have it up. Also see OX's second post here
    Last edited by briqz; October 7th, 2010 at 02:29 AM.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Clientside patch will have some protection against changing those CVars, that are responsible for cheating.

Actually I think it could even potentially be "tampered" with serverside.

It's nice to see that most of these suggestion exist these days

Yeah, like the talk about the upcoming clientside-patch... 7 years ago